HDS reflector ...

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would like to mod an early generation clicky (i.e. non-acme thread) but I'm completely unable to remove the reflector. I did a lot of mods on early EDC series (pre-Novatac) but never on a clicky.

Is there a trick to remove the reflector ? Is it glued ? I'm completely clueless on how to remove it and I can't see a way to remove the pill ? :shrug:

Help please !

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast
If its an early original HDS, the reflectors are not removable.

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
The best way to remove the reflector is with a pair of strap wrenches. If that doesn't work, wrap the rubber strap of the wrench around the exposed reflector as a guard, and grab it with vise-grips. I hold the head of the light in a strap wrench for leverage, and twist the vise-grips. That has worked every time. In my experience, there has not been glue on the threads of any of the HDS/RA lights. There is a thick o-ring that creates a tight seal and a lot of resistance.

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
The best way to remove the reflector is with a pair of strap wrenches. If that doesn't work, wrap the rubber strap of the wrench around the exposed reflector as a guard, and grab it with vise-grips. I hold the head of the light in a strap wrench for leverage, and twist the vise-grips. That has worked every time. In my experience, there has not been glue on the threads of any of the HDS/RA lights. There is a thick o-ring that creates a tight seal and a lot of resistance.

Thanks datiLED but I guess you are referring to the bezel. I had no problem removing it. I'm really talking about the reflector itself.

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks datiLED but I guess you are referring to the bezel. I had no problem removing it. I'm really talking about the reflector itself.

I am talking about the reflector, after you remove the bezel. The reflector is threaded on both ends. If you are lucky, the reflector will stay in the bezel when you remove it. More often than not, it will be stuck in the head as you describe.

Try the method that I described above. I have 100% success with that method, and have not damaged a single reflector. It goes without saying; use care when getting a pair of pliers anywhere near a flashlight.

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
It worked !

Thanks again datiLED !

Mine was clearly ''locktited'', no wonder I had so much problem removing it...

threadlock.jpg

Latest posts