Converting a Touratech to LED - help a newbie out?

sakurama

Newly Enlightened
Umm, long time lurker, first time poster! I can't begin to have the understanding that many of you have of electronics and LED's but hopefully I can get some help here to take on a project I'd like to try.

I have this lamp that was made by Touratech, an adventure motorcycle company, and this lamp was designed to charge off the motorcycles 12v battery through an accessory socket and to also run from the same in your tent. It's a neat lamp, super well machined but it's incandescent and woefully out of date. They make a new one that is LED but they want almost $200 for it. They won't sell the LED's to convert this one. I'd like to do it myself to save this lamp which is sentimental and to make something cool and different.

Here's some photos:

S0107014-XL.jpg

S0127017-XL.jpg

S0137018-XL.jpg

The circuit allows one lamp to light when it's getting the 6v from the rechargeable AA's and both lamps light when it's plugged into the 12v of the motorcycle. It would be nice to maintain the same sort of functionality but perhaps if it was converted to LED you just wouldn't need the cord (which wraps around the body and stores in the bottom of the base) but I'd like to.

S0147019-XL.jpg

The interior where the board resides is 50mm in diameter. It has a plug to charge on one side and a rocker switch on the other side to turn it on and off.

S0157020-XL.jpg

What are my options? What could I do? I'd like to keep the plastic dome but I don't have to. My capabilities are as follows: I have a super complete shop in NYC but I have limited access to it as I live in Portland. In NYC I have a mill, lathe, rotary table and most of what I'd need to make something. I can solder and have a very basic and limited electronics knowledge but I'll happily research and learn. Here in Portland where I live full time I have an old clapped out South Bend that I have to grind bits for - it's teaching me patience. Is there a closely sized LED board set up for 6v that I could make fit?

I am open to ideas for my very first mod project. Thanks.

Gregor