The HF comes from the first reactions of everyone who's seen this
    "Holy F@#$laashlight!!!"

Small & Ridiculously powerful,
    XM-L, 600lumen+, Light'in Bolt!
    56.3mm x 14mm diameter
    Uses 1x MBI 10250 HD li-ion.
    2 modes: low & HF (high)
    low: approx 50 lumen
    high: direct drive so 600+ lumen, then gradually decreasing.

Expected Runtime
    low: 45min+
    high: 3~5min but after 1 min brightness will begin to drop quickly.

[For the latest specs:
    please click the HF pre-order link in my signature at the bottom of this post]

Switch Method: (not a regular twisty)
    Think of the UI as a circle with 4 positions:
    OFF - LOW - OFF - HIGH

You can turn the tail bolt either left or right to get directly to LOW or HIGH from OFF.
    The tail bolt is mounted on the tail and freely rotates 360 degrees, independently of the body so there is no need to un-tighten the body the way you would a normal twisty.

Production now underway...
    Version Options
    Titanium: Raw, BeadBlast
    Brass: Raw
    Copper: Raw

Emitter options: Cree XM-L U2, Nichia219

Please note the production version will be slightly different to the photo's here but wanting to give you a preview. I hope you don't mind.
    Note: the bolt on the head is not removable on the production version

Below: Trit slots provide visibility from every direction (front, side, top)
    IMPORTANT: Trits are not included with the HF

Below: trit slots, side view

The production version will have a thinner profile, more like this (below)
    and will be Titanium

Below:: top:Preon, center: HF, bottom: Mag Solitaire

Below:: from left: HF head on Torpedo body, AAA battery, Preon, HF

Some comparison Lux bounce shots below.

Below: the Xeno EO3 with a li-ion (about 500 lumen)

Below: the Olight M30 Triton (about 700 lumen)

Below: the HF on HF (high)
    Amazing to see something so small hold its own against some of the more powerful beasts!!

Tgwnn

I hope you like it

###################################

Important links and information - updated 2014-01-03

Things have evolved so much since the first post above and so I'll be adding important/related info below here. In case there's something you'd like to see listed, please feel welcome to let me know via post/pm/email.

-Using Li-ion cells in LED flashlights safely
    -Some info on installing trits
    Last edited by the_guy_with_no_name; 01-09-2014 at 06:59 AM. Reason: trit disclaimer, tail function, material options. Added links and info

Default Re: MBI #3 - Codename: HF

I'll take it.

Great-looking little gem.

I will gladly confess that this is a product of pure indulgence.
    I had a spark, the fuse was lit, and then I decided to just go ahead and do it because I wanted one (well a few) for my collection, regardless of whether it might be a for-sale product or not, though I have a feeling there might be demand for just a few.

demand for just a few? If I'm trembling with anticipation already, there must be more than a few....

(absolutely love the lightning bolt logo thing)
    Last edited by saypat; 06-30-2012 at 11:32 AM.
    G.K Chesterton, when asked 'what is wrong with the world?' simply replied 'I am!'

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago X View Post
    I'll take it.

Great-looking little gem.
    Thanks for the ultra-fast feedback Chicago X

tgwnn

Enlightened

How do I order one?

Just read the email, HF, I want one!

Flashaholic*

Tgwnn its so incredible. I will be thinking about it for the next week until the order is set up. This is awesome. You think about the ability to attatch a magnet to the end, or would that interfere with the switching mechanism?
    -Alex

Quote Originally Posted by saypat View Post
    I will gladly confess that this is a product of pure indulgence.
    I had a spark, the fuse was lit, and then I decided to just go ahead and do it because I wanted one (well a few) for my collection, regardless of whether it might be a for-sale product or not, though I have a feeling there might be demand for just a few.

demand for just a few? If I'm trembling with anticipation already, there must be more than a few....

(absolutely love the lightning bolt logo thing)
    Thanks Saypat

Quote Originally Posted by Ward View Post
    How do I order one?
    Hi Ward,
    I will send another mail when the order url is ready and final specs confirmed.

Quote Originally Posted by jorgen View Post
    Just read the email, HF, I want one!
    Hi Jorgen,

Thanks very much

Quote Originally Posted by climberkid View Post
    Tgwnn its so incredible. I will be thinking about it for the next week until the order is set up. This is awesome. You think about the ability to attatch a magnet to the end, or would that interfere with the switching mechanism?
    -Alex
    Hi Alex,

Thanks for the feedback and suggestion.
    A magnet might interfere with the switching mechanism but its a very lego-ish kind of light.
    I can think of plenty of upgrades and options down the road

Tgwnn

Ooohhh yesssss!! Any ideas on final pricing yet Guy?
    This is my signature. They're many like it but this one is mine..

Quote Originally Posted by Diablo_331 View Post
    Hi Diablo

Not final yet but somewhere in the range of $90 ~ $110 in pure Ti.

From the subscriber update....
    "not aiming for mass market on this and so due to the smaller quantity and custom work involved, the price will be a little more in the custom/jewelry range, at this stage looking like somewhere between $90~$110 depending on the final what's included, work required on the finish, and how many are made."

I'll have a better idea next week as I verify the final details and currently looking like about 60 days away from being shipping ready.

tgwnn

Forgot to mention,

this is along the lines of what you had posted in the Torpedo thread perhaps....
    removable head, driver in the tail, etc....

tgwnn

Incredible! Definitely interested in one as well!

Hi,

I just read the update upon this creation, all I can say is I think you picked the perfect name.

I will take one of these in addition to the Torpedo when they are available.

xpshooter

Looks great! If you come out with an aluminum one let us know!

Wow,
    Really cool Guy.
    I'll take one (or two, or three, ...)
    GL

Quote Originally Posted by the_guy_with_no_name

Forgot to mention,

this is along the lines of what you had posted in the Torpedo thread perhaps....
    removable head, driver in the tail, etc....

tgwnn
    I think I speak for most when I say that this is going to be epic! I'm down to try one out for sure pending tint options.. So will there be any? It seems like I didn't get the update.
    This is my signature. They're many like it but this one is mine..

Enlightened

Looks... Incredible. Only decision for me is whether I'm going to edc it on a keyring or in a pocket... Please count me in for one, Guy. Thanks again, reading the thousands of posts for the MBI torpedo and core (and I've read them all) has been like a science fiction novel for flashaholics!
    I don't collect flashlights, I just happen to own rather a lot of them. Honest.

Very cool - count me in!

Guy,

This is fantastic! I am in for 2. You are really starting to innovate the otherwise stagnant flashlight industry. I thank you, kind sir for pushing the limits of what can be done, both with size, output and technology. Also, it looks like your anodizing skills have really started to flourish.

If you keep this up, I will be asking you to take all my money! Is there anyway to put 2 aside for me?

Thanks,

OnTheLake

Any chance of DLC-coated option ?
    ... is the archimedes peak

That looks awesome, i will definitely be placing an order, hopefully before they are all gone

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by romteb View Post
    +1 hahaha

-Alex

Hi Everyone,

You are all as crazy as me!!
    Nice to be in such good company

I've updated post #1 with some lux bounce shots to give you an idea of what HF entails

About the update, let me explain that a few weeks back I merged the Torpedo & CoreTi mailing lists into one called the MBI Insiders.
    I have respected everyone's preferences as they were, meaning if you subscribed for only Torpedo updates, those are the only ones I will send unless you change your preference and grant me permission to send you other updates.
    (Sorry but I hope you know I'm a very proper kind'a'guy when it comes to such things.)

You can however easily change your preference buy clicking in the subscribe link in my signature, enter your email address and if you are registered, the system will tell you so, and it should then offer to let you update your preferences after which you can see previously sent updates too.

There is now an option to "send me all MBI updates" and if you choose it, you will receive any and all updates I send out (which is usually less than 1x per month unless there is something very worthy of sending).

Quote Originally Posted by xpshooter View Post
    Hi,

I just read the update upon this creation, all I can say is I think you picked the perfect name.
    I will take one of these in addition to the Torpedo when they are available.
    xpshooter
    Hi xpshooter,

Thanks and glad to hear you were able to see the update

Quote Originally Posted by RCantor View Post
    Looks great! If you come out with an aluminum one let us know!
    Hi RCantor,
    Thanks for following this too
    Will definitely let you know.

I was seriously thinking a very limited, one-time quantity but after the first production run, I may just have to succumb and do a limited run in aluminum for my trusted advisors here on cpf. Will see how it goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Got Lumens? View Post
    Wow,
    Really cool Guy.
    I'll take one (or two, or three, ...)
    GL
    Hi GL,

Thank you sir as always

I think I speak for most when I say that this is going to be epic! I'm down to try one out for sure pending tint options.. So will there be any? It seems like I didn't get the update.
    Hi Diablo,
    Epic
    Initial run will be U2 but if I can sneak a few warmer bins in there Im willing to do it.
    Sorry you didn't receive the update (explained above).

Quote Originally Posted by mrbickelsworth View Post
    Incredible! Definitely interested in one as well!
    Thanks mrbickelsworth

Quote Originally Posted by Endalaus View Post
    Looks... Incredible. Only decision for me is whether I'm going to edc it on a keyring or in a pocket... Please count me in for one, Guy. Thanks again, reading the thousands of posts for the MBI torpedo and core (and I've read them all) has been like a science fiction novel for flashaholics!
    Hi Endalaus,
    So glad it gives you some enjoyment
    Anticipation is always an exciting part of buying new products.

Quote Originally Posted by vx000 View Post
    Very cool - count me in!
    Hi vx000,
    Thanks, counted

Quote Originally Posted by onthelake View Post
    Guy,

This is fantastic! I am in for 2. You are really starting to innovate the otherwise stagnant flashlight industry. I thank you, kind sir for pushing the limits of what can be done, both with size, output and technology. Also, it looks like your anodizing skills have really started to flourish.
    If you keep this up, I will be asking you to take all my money! Is there anyway to put 2 aside for me?
    Thanks,
    OnTheLake
    Hi OnTheLake,

Thanks for your continued support
    I can put 2 aside for you!
    Hoping to have a pre-order page ready by next weekend, once I confirm a firm delivery date for both the HF and the 10250 batteries, which are the secret sauce that makes the HF possible.

Quote Originally Posted by romteb View Post
    Hi romteb,
    Thanks and nice pic, LOL

Quote Originally Posted by archimedes View Post
    Any chance of DLC-coated option ?
    Hi archimedes,
    There's always a chance though beyond using an optical grade epoxy to achieve a DLC type effect, I have not had any further experience with that. Happy to try anything, just about anytime

Quote Originally Posted by Clam View Post
    That looks awesome, i will definitely be placing an order, hopefully before they are all gone
    Hi Clam,
    Thanks and glad you appreciate it too

Quote Originally Posted by climberkid View Post
    +1 hahaha
    -Alex
    Thanks Alex

I humbly declare you all to be as crazy as I am and most definitely "aficionados extraordinaire" to even consider wanting one of these

tgwnn

Honestly, do I really need to chime in and let you know that I, too, would dearly love to have one of these tiny ti titillations? Make almost anything in Ti and dangle it in front of me and I'll drool, which I think you already know! Shame on you! How will I ever get that lens I'm wanting? Gone all day shooting a wedding and come home to find this new enticement! Aaaaggghh! More waiting, more scrambling to arrange funds in paypal, you're a terrible man and I now see why you hide your real name!

Excellent work Guy, truly excellent work!

Enlightened

I'd buy that for a dollar! (or in this case, whatever you're asking )
    Just hope I get in before they're gone!

Quote Originally Posted by DBCstm View Post
    Honestly, do I really need to chime in and let you know that I, too, would dearly love to have one of these tiny ti titillations? Make almost anything in Ti and dangle it in front of me and I'll drool, which I think you already know! Shame on you! How will I ever get that lens I'm wanting? Gone all day shooting a wedding and come home to find this new enticement! Aaaaggghh! More waiting, more scrambling to arrange funds in paypal, you're a terrible man and I now see why you hide your real name!

Excellent work Guy, truly excellent work!
    Hi DBC,

Thanks.
    I hope the wedding shoot went well and yes, now you know why I must keep my identity hidden.
    Its so that all the cpf wives don't hunt me down

Quote Originally Posted by Hamaremon View Post
    I'd buy that for a dollar! (or in this case, whatever you're asking )
    Just hope I get in before they're gone!
    Hi Hamaremon,
    Thanks very much

tgwnn

One question: in the MBI Insider you mentioned that the HF can tailstand (which I really like) even with a lanyard attached.
    When I look at your pictures, I don't see how this will work with this tail design... although I'm sure you have a solution for this
    Do you have pics which can enlighten me ?

Quote Originally Posted by emu124 View Post

One question: in the MBI Insider you mentioned that the HF can tailstand (which I really like) even with a lanyard attached.
    When I look at your pictures, I don't see how this will work with this tail design... although I'm sure you have a solution for this
    Do you have pics which can enlighten me ?

Hi Emu,

Thanks very much.

There is a small groove at the top, above the lanyard attachment hole

When you attach the lanyard and tailstand it, the groove provides just enough space to let you tailstand the HF with the lanyard attached as below.

With the right sized split ring attached, the ring can also fit around the outside of the HF, also allowing it to tailstand, similar to this....

Does that make any sense?

I can post some additional pics later if needed.

Thanks,
    tgwnn

Quote Originally Posted by the_guy_with_no_name View Post

With the right sized split ring attached, the ring can also fit around the outside of the HF, also allowing it to tailstand, similar to this....

Does that make any sense?

I can post some additional pics later if needed.

Thanks,
    tgwnn

Thanks TGWNN
    I prefer a split ring for lanyard attachement. But I think it would need a ring that is shaped like a "D" to move it to the side like the red split ring in the pic above.
    I had (and still have) this problem with Kuku's 38/40/44DD's and it's quite hard to find a ring that works with these tail design.
    But wait... maybe you could provide such a D-shaped ring with the light

Page 1 of 167 123456781151101 ... LastLast