Malkoff Cocktail

ganz-lite

Newly Enlightened
I have a Black 3D maglite (one of the last ones with an incandescent in it... now they have white-star kryptons). A maglite with the stereotypical incandescent blech yellow beam (or what you could call a beam). After going to various vendors, I was directed by mdocod to try Malkoff. I read the reviews and I was blown away. I knew it'd be expensive, but I was willing to pay for the best. I got the kit this morning, and it was truly drop-in and wedge-screw... took me all of 30 seconds to get it in, and 3 to 5 min to put it all back together. Upon doing so, I noticed several things take place.

First, the beam can be made to focus VERY, VERY, tight... there is very little flood in this mode, and I love how nice the throw is as a result. I can send a white beam down whole blocks and light up stopsigns as I walk the dog. The light is FAR brighter (instead of a total yellow twinge, the very center has a pleasing white-spot in spot mode). The U2 has a brighter emission, and it's less yellow and more white (which I like). I still have the flood ability (with the ensuing black hole that results), and the empirical quality is amazing. The heatsink is light, but apparently it dissipates heat beautifully (and turns the maglite into a BIGGER heatsink). This prevents what struck my previous LED... the lack of its heatsink meant it would reduce intensity in order to mitigate internal heat. The malkoff: no such thing, it just SHINES, nice, tight, and beautifully.

I plan to modify this mag further... I currently have an mdocod 9aa to 3d parallel converter on order (so I can put in 9 Lithium AA's from energizer for a teense more voltage), and I want to put in a 5mega camless focuser (maybe even the deep reflector kit as well if he makes it in black again). I'm more interested in throw than flood, since I need this to be viable in the Poconos where flood is nice, but I also need to be able to see something far away before it sees me (hunter, animal, rogue person, etc.,). As I learn more of this flashlight, I will keep you all posted, but so far it's a GREAT Light to behold.

Jason

ganz-lite

Newly Enlightened
My next plans are for nine AAs in a 4.5 to 4.8v configuration (ie: 3 in parallel = 1.5V), then b/c Lithiums have *VERY* little internal resistance, work from there. I am wondering what mods are available to reduce internal resistance (ie: springs made of copper, switch improvements, etc.,) that dont require soldering.

Jason