A tale of two 4 Sevens Preon Revos (small flutes or big flutes?)

Espionage Studio

Enlightened
When I had first heard of the Preon Revo, I thought it was kinda neat but didn't understand how it could possibly be better than my Fenix LD01 SS... Then I figured it out, and the SS version of the XP-G was announced to me by email from 4 Sevens. By the time I got around to ordering one, the newest version was released so I jumped on it. I got a cool tint as it was all I could find out there at the time, the neutrals must have gotten snapped up quick! I have had this light for awhile, kept it in mint condition and thought of how nice it would be if it just had a warmer tint. Enter Revo #2, in neutral. I picked this light up third hand recently from a guy who was the lights second owner. He didn't know what emitter it had, but to me it looks just like the xpg s2 in my cool version. It is in fact a neutral tint, I love the beam but a couple of odd things about it made me have some questions. First off it looks like someone has opened it up, or at least tried as the threads are kinda funky on the neutral like somebody grabbed it with needle nose pliers :-( Another interesting thing, is the flutes on the 2 lights are different, They are more aggressive on my newer cool version on the right. I think it looks better at all angles and certainly makes the light easier to grip and turn one handed. So I'm wondering if anyone else has big flutes or small flutes on their Revo's? I really love these lights, so small and such smooth operation, the minty cool tint one has been stashed away for later, and the neutral is my new edc backup. (wishing for a lower low)

Big flutes on the right, smaller ones on the left:
DSCN0023.jpg

DSCN0025.jpg

DSCN0029.jpg

DSCN0026.jpg

DSCN0022.jpg

Look at those poor threads :-( (smoothness doesn't seem to be affected at all)
DSCN0030.jpg

Last edited:

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
(wishing for a lower low)
Sounds like you might like the Peak Eiger with the Nichia 219 that Oveready sells. The only real issue that I have with this light, and it's true for just about all lights that use a QTC, is that the QTC has some quirks that takes some getting used to. If you don't mind those quirks then they're awesome lights.

I have cool white versions of the Eiger as well as a SS Preon ReVO and the Eiger actually replaced the ReVO on my keychain for a short while until I realized that the Eiger would do better as a pocket light so I replaced the SS lug body with an aluminum pocket body and it's replaced a ThruNite T10 as my EDC light. BTW, my ReVO has the big flutes and was part of the last batch before they stopped offering them altogether.

Espionage Studio

Enlightened
Ah, ok thanks for the info! That makes sense, I think mine was right at the end because I was on the fence about getting one for awhile and I remember right after I got it they were all gone.