Is it commom if the flashlight body becomes hot with switch on.

busycokos

Banned
Im new to cpf ,heard this is a good forum for flashlights discussions, i bought a flashlight a few days ago , when the flashlight is open and been a few hours ,the flashlight body becomes hot ,im wondering why and is it good or bad to become hot on the flashlight body ?? i need technical answers ,i hope yall can help me.thanks a lot :kiss:

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
~

HI ! busycokos ...... and WELCOME to ya !

I assume this is an LED light ... so yes , that is good for it to do that . It's best that you hold it in your hand , so your hand absorbs some of the heat . It means that it has a good "Heat Sink" that is wicking away some of the heat from the LED , so it does not become too hot. If you DON't hold it in your hand while it is ON ... it may become TOO hot ... and cause damage to the LED emitter .

(Server went down ...... continuation ......)

If it becomes too hot to hold in your hand , then it's getting too hot for the LED to survive . Be sure you are running the correct batteries in it . Don't use rechargeable Lithium Ion's if they are not approved for the light .

~

Last edited:

busycokos

Banned
~

HI ! busycokos ...... and WELCOME to ya !

I assume this is an LED light ... so yes , that is good for it to do that . It's best that you hold it in your hand , so your hand absorbs some of the heat . It means that it has a good "Heat Sink" that is wicking away some of the heat from the LED , so it does not become too hot. If you DON't hold it in your hand while it is ON ... it may become TOO hot ... and cause damage to the LED emitter .

thank you so much TooManyGizmos ,your illustration is useful to me , at first i just afraid it too hot,buring hot lol yes I leave it alone open on the table.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
All LED's will produce some heat and the more powerful ones will produce a lot. They will get hotter the longer they are left on.

Too much heat is bad for LED's and could make them stop working.

Why is the flashlight being left on for hours at a time?

Are the batteries getting hot also?

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
~

Busycokos ,

If you can supply the make and model number of the light , and what batteries you are using ... the Members here can tell you exactly how much heat to expect. Many times people use batteries that supply too much voltage which produces excessive heat .

Some batteries can be dangerous if not used properly , so ask questions and make sure you are not doing something wrong which could get you hurt .

Give us details on exactly what you have ... how many batteries it uses ... and if you are using Re-chargeable batteries ?

~

PapaLumen

Enlightened
Most led flashlights will get very hot if left on high without being touched, like left on a table for 1-2hours. Try to avoid doing this. Its usual to get some heat and your hand helps transfer some of this away.

Which light and battery?

Last edited:

tickled

Newly Enlightened
Heat is probably one of the leading causes of premature torch death.

busycokos

Banned
All LED's will produce some heat and the more powerful ones will produce a lot. They will get hotter the longer they are left on.

Too much heat is bad for LED's and could make them stop working.

Why is the flashlight being left on for hours at a time?

Are the batteries getting hot also?

well, my mate want to test if we dont hold the flashlight,what wil it be.it becomes burning hot,and you cant even touch it,for the other one,its not hot on its body at all. so i think the heat was still inside the flashlight body,and cause damage to the LED emitter as TooManyGizmos said .

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
~

Attatch a remote switch ...... then FREEZE it inside a big block of ice .

Then turn on ..... and melt the Ice from the inside - out .

~