My first Sea trial with the Sunwayman T40cs: the good and the bad

tubed

Enlightened
I probably use my lights as much for boating as around the house/yard and am just getting into high-end lights. Last night I trialed my new T40cs as my boat(assist) light on the Narragansett bay. (I have the new 840 lumen model). The bay is quite the proving ground for lights as it is big, dark, and filled with boats and other obstacles (especially on the night of July 4th fireworks). There are big buoys that are generally easy to spot but plenty of small bouys and moorings that are just above water level and often without any reflective surface. Then there are the lobster pot markers- small plastic bottles (often dark colors) - propellers hate them - randomly strewn throughout the bay. Here's what I learned on my night out with the family.
1. As any boater knows, you try to use a light like this a rarely as possible and use your (night adjusted) eyes instead so the on-to-Turbo UI can be a problem- for anything IN the boat i used my quark with its nice low mode.
2. When you think you see something in your way or you need to find a channel marker fast the on-to-Turbo is great.
3. The holster that comes with this light was a total nightmare!. Because of the "tactical ring" and (i think) the lanyard attachment hook, it was downright impossible to get this light out of the holster without two hands and a lot of pulling and tugging. I gave up and stuck it in my front pocket for the rest of the trip --Can you remove the tactical ring?? I hope so. This rendered the holster almost useless.
4. Even though i chose this light for its reletively high amount of spill (compared with some other throwers) I found that in a boat- unless the light goes right off the tip of the bow- spill is a bad thing as it lights up the (white) boat interior and the reflective light is bad. I love this light but if you want a good light for finding markers from the console of a boat, one of those laser-like (?aspheric) lights sound like they may be better.
5. Overall the throw was really good, although I don't really seem to get the "500 meters" advertised -- i think the air is pretty misty so that probably explains that. I've previously used one of those West Marine 1milllion candle power monsters that i liked but it was large, heavy, and only lasted about 30 mins. Getting the same beam from something i can put in my pocket is amazing.
6. the front/side switch was also a good thing as I was often reaching around the windshield and this fit my grip better.

Overall - with the exception of the holster - I love this light. Problem is I need the holster (or something like it) so I can get the light out of my hand quickly without damaging it. Any thoughts?
I hope the salt water doesn't destroy this light and i have it for many years.

Bwolcott

Enlightened
I probably use my lights as much for boating as around the house/yard and am just getting into high-end lights. Last night I trialed my new T40cs as my boat(assist) light on the Narragansett bay. (I have the new 840 lumen model). The bay is quite the proving ground for lights as it is big, dark, and filled with boats and other obstacles (especially on the night of July 4th fireworks). There are big buoys that are generally easy to spot but plenty of small bouys and moorings that are just above water level and often without any reflective surface. Then there are the lobster pot markers- small plastic bottles (often dark colors) - propellers hate them - randomly strewn throughout the bay. Here's what I learned on my night out with the family.
1. As any boater knows, you try to use a light like this a rarely as possible and use your (night adjusted) eyes instead so the on-to-Turbo UI can be a problem- for anything IN the boat i used my quark with its nice low mode.
2. When you think you see something in your way or you need to find a channel marker fast the on-to-Turbo is great.
3. The holster that comes with this light was a total nightmare!. Because of the "tactical ring" and (i think) the lanyard attachment hook, it was downright impossible to get this light out of the holster without two hands and a lot of pulling and tugging. I gave up and stuck it in my front pocket for the rest of the trip --Can you remove the tactical ring?? I hope so. This rendered the holster almost useless.
4. Even though i chose this light for its reletively high amount of spill (compared with some other throwers) I found that in a boat- unless the light goes right off the tip of the bow- spill is a bad thing as it lights up the (white) boat interior and the reflective light is bad. I love this light but if you want a good light for finding markers from the console of a boat, one of those laser-like (?aspheric) lights sound like they may be better.
5. Overall the throw was really good, although I don't really seem to get the "500 meters" advertised -- i think the air is pretty misty so that probably explains that. I've previously used one of those West Marine 1milllion candle power monsters that i liked but it was large, heavy, and only lasted about 30 mins. Getting the same beam from something i can put in my pocket is amazing.
6. the front/side switch was also a good thing as I was often reaching around the windshield and this fit my grip better.

Overall - with the exception of the holster - I love this light. Problem is I need the holster (or something like it) so I can get the light out of my hand quickly without damaging it. Any thoughts?
I hope the salt water doesn't destroy this light and i have it for many years.

I have the newer model as you do and I agree the throw isnt as advertised but I have yet to get a light where it is. I also have problems getting it out of the Holster with the tactical ring but Overall I am pretty happy with it

Phil Ament

Enlightened
I also have a T40CS which I do really like. In regards to the tactical ring and the difficulties that it's tackiness causes whenever trying to remove the light from it's holster, for a possible solution whether it was to be a temporary or permanent one, how about if you were to try and cover the tactical ring with either shrink wrap or electrical type so that it may actually slip out of the holster far more easily. Not really sure if it would work or not however I just thought that it may be worth suggesting it!

tubed

Enlightened
thanks for that idea. I might try that. If i could get a different holster, that might fix it. I"m going to try the Sunwayman thread in the CPFMP site to see if anyone knows how to remove. Frankly, I don't really need the ring and would consider cutting it off (or trimming it down). that would ruin the look a bit.

Phil Ament

Enlightened
The only other suggestions that I can come up with is to maybe try and use some talcum powder (not really sure what you guys call it, but like Johnson's Baby Powder) as a dry lubricant as that would make them slip off FAR easier. After just having another look at it you may even want to try and attempt it by sliding it off the front as it appears to be not as much of a pronounced lip as the rear is and it is much more of a sort of gradual increase in width.

P.S. Only 2 more posts till I achieve flashaholicalismness!

P.P.S. I know that it doesn't appear to display my post count anyway. I just knew that I shouldn't have paid for a subscription!

Phil Ament

Enlightened
Actually I did just think of one more idea and it would probably be considered the most safest, however it could also be considered to be a bit of a cop out, you know sort of a little bit like having to actually read an instruction manual. The "safe" alternative would be to go on over to CPFMP and ask Sunwayman directly in his specific forum or by PM!

P.S. Only 1 more post till I achieve flashaholicalismness! I'm so close now I can even taste it!

Last edited:

RCLumens

Enlightened
do you know if the tactical ring comes off?

I took the ring off my T20cS which looks very much the same - I used a small screw driver to shimmy it off like a car tire off a rim. I was careful
to put enough pressure so that the metal on the screw driver didn't scratch the light. The rubber on mine was somewhat pliable, so it did not break. If yours is hard, I suggest running it under hot water to soften it up.

tubed

Enlightened
I took the ring off my T20cS which looks very much the same - I used a small screw driver to shimmy it off like a car tire off a rim. I was careful
to put enough pressure so that the metal on the screw driver didn't scratch the light. The rubber on mine was somewhat pliable, so it did not break. If yours is hard, I suggest running it under hot water to soften it up.

Thanks - i think i may try that. Does the absence of the ring leave a space or is the ring just on the surface?