Trying to decide on new AA light - NiteCore EA1 or Zebralight SC51?

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmmm... I'm liking both of them but do not have the funds to "buy both." Can I ask general opinions of the brands? Which one do you think is better quality? Hows the throw on the zebralight? I'm also assuming both are made in China (ugh. but can't hardly be avoided anymore). Anyway, thanks for your opinions.

EDIT: Actually, after poking around on the Zebralight sights, some of those SC80s that can take either a CR123 OR single AA light look nice.

Last edited:

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the EC1 and it is great. It is designed for throw.

EC070.jpg

EA1 on left, SC51 on right

EA1-FL1-Summary1.gif

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
Code:
I have the sc80 and it is great. The levels are perfect for a small light. I use a 17500 in mine for the added runtime but having the option to use other cells is great.

Those new nitecores are interesting. The only one that I like though is the EC2. It looks the most balanced with the wider body tube to better match the head.

The Nitcore should have better throw with the larger smooth reflector.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok but how about the quality between the two? Is the beam that much more floody for the zebralight?

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
in my personal experience, ZL is absolutely phenomenal insofar as build quality and durability go. I haven't used the Nitecore EA1 but I love my old SC51. :D

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also think the quality of the zebra lights is great. You know their circuits are designed to be very efficient from all the reviews.

I can't say that the Zebra light is better since I do not own the Nitecore but I think you are safer going with a Zebralight. But that's not to say you should not go for the Nitecore if there are things you like more about it. I will be ordering the Nitecore EC2 also.

tonkem

Enlightened
I would suggest the zebralight sc80. I like that you can use both the 123 or aa without an external adapter. It is my EDC now. Replacing a sunway m10a and Surefire e1l. I have been so satisfied with Zebralight that I purchased a H502 for my niece, and H600 for my wife, and sc600 for my oldest son.... My .02

Sway

Flashlight Enthusiast
Weak point of the Zebra SC51 is the switch is over easy to activate and turn on in your pocket or pack unless you lock it out by loosening the tail cap. I don't know if the SC80 suffers this problem or not, it does look a little more recessed, maybe somebody in the know could weigh in on this :)

tonkem

Enlightened
The throw is not ideal, as the reflector is shallow. Compared to my Surefire E1L, it is floody. If you are looking for throw, then it would not be the perfect light. But for my uses, mostly indoors, and some outdoors, it is EDC :)

Hmmm... How s the throw on the zebralight sc80?

tonkem

Enlightened
I have never used the SC51, but have read of the issues with the switch easily activating. Sc80 does not have that problem. I have yet to activate the switch accidentally, as the switch is fairly stiff vs the H502 I just got. The H600 and Sc600 have similar switches, stiffer than the H502, but none have accidentally activated on me :)

Weak point of the Zebra SC51 is the switch is over easy to activate and turn on in your pocket or pack unless you lock it out by loosening the tail cap. I don't know if the SC80 suffers this problem or not, it does look a little more recessed, maybe somebody in the know could weigh in on this :)

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have all three of them, and appreciate attributes of them all. I've beaten the you-know-what out of a Zebralight and it begged for more abuse.

SC80 is floody and has a fatter body than the SC51, but the battery flexibility is valuable...plus, as has been mentioned, the power switch is recessed and not so easy to accidentally activate. Some have complained that it's actually HARD to activate, but even with my large hands I have no problem.

The SC51 has a 'near perfect' beam to me, and I love the size. The switch issue is no issue to me - just back off on the tail cap just a bit and no worries about accidental activation.

The EC1 is interesting. While the red LED on the switch can be annoying when it blinks, it actually can serve a use in a darkened room or outside when camping - when you activate the red LED as 'continuously on' it makes a nice little low power red light. As for the beam, it is a deeper reflector and a nice, white XPG beam that throws. It's also a bit brighter. But it won't go as low as the Zebralights.

Which one would I pick if I could have only one? No question - the SC80. The battery flexibility is so useful. And the quality of the beam is great, although you do give up some throw versus the EC1.

Just my $.02