New BALDER HD-1 [ AA - 14500 - 2 mode EDC ]

old4570

Flashlight Enthusiast
ScreenShot001-3.jpg

100_4516.jpg

100_4513.jpg

100_4512.jpg

100_4511.jpg

Yes , its here at last , the Balder HD-1 .
And a nice little light it is to.
Some pictures.

100_4481.jpg

100_4478.jpg

100_4506.jpg

100_4499.jpg

100_4482.jpg

100_4483.jpg

100_4491.jpg

Just a quick note , the Oring belongs in the front grove , and Im not sure how it ended up here , but the front grove folks , OK!

100_4484.jpg

100_4485.jpg

100_4487.jpg

100_4495.jpg

100_4496.jpg

Now this is a pre-production sample , and I haven't measured anything as yet .
So lets talk about what I can for now .
This light is very well made , its small , has two modes , has a XP-G R5 emitter , looks to be bright on a single AA [ high ] , supports the 14500 [ not tested ] . Anodizing and knurl-ling are very well done , and 0 battery slop to speak off , in fact some larger AA batteries [ diameter ] may not fit as the plunger tube is some what a snug fit on a AA. Now the way the light works , it appears to maintain contact [ circuit ] and when you break the contact , the light turns on , changes modes and turns off . If you leave it off for a while you need to push the button for at least a full second to get the light back on [ feature to stop accidental activation ? ] otherwise just a quick push changes modes and turns the light on or off . Now you don't need to push the button forwards like a nutter , you only need to push forwards far enough to break contact with the back of the body, so a 1mm push should do.
So far Im very impressed , haven't taken the Multimeter to the light , or done any tests , other than simply use the light and take some pictures. So nothing negative to report so far , except to thank Balder for sending me this light , cos I really like it . Just the size , the feel , the usability , quality , what can I say , even the clip looks to have been beefed up . Its early days , and while I am impressed all to heck so far , and I really am , lets see what the Light box and Multimeter have to say .To be updated !

Ok some performance figures :
High pulls some 1.8A from a Nimh , and when the light settles with a fully charged nimh you get some 126Lumen
Low produces some 1 Lumen [ Moon mode ] and at 0.056A current draw , your looking at some 40 hours .
A fresh Alkaline returned some 113Lumen

Now with this sort of activation the first thing to cross my mind was parasitic drain , when the light is turned of , I measured some 0.007A , but within some 10 seconds the current had gone from 0.007A to 0.001A and then nothing , yep ! The light turns off . I held the MM in place till my hands got sore and detected nothing , so WOW !
The only thing I would like to see is a medium mode ( 20Lumen ) , but this is just me , I really like 20Lumen .
14500 ………….
2A Current draw in High ( thats a lot ) , output was 260+Lumen but the sag was rather serious ( heat ) .
Starting around 265L the light hit 200L within 3 seconds and continued to sag as the head began to warm , I stopped @ 170L as the head was heating up and output was dropping and there was no real slowing down in the process.

Low gave some 2L and current draw was 0.020A
I would love to see this light simply optimized for the AA as with such a small host I really cant see the point in supporting the 14500. Having a better regulated light that only runs AA would be much better. To get decent performance out of the AA you end up with a hotrod 14500 and all the associated issues such as heat and output sag . The 14500 is too much for this light , its seriously over driven and suffers for it .
Some 14500 protected batteries may be to long to function in this light . You may need to loosen the head to get the tail clicky to work .

Last Word ? …………………
Make it AA only , better regulation , and 3 mode . Now aside from personal wants [ on my part ] , this light works , it feels great in the hand , its a fantastic format . There is no mode memory , you turn it on [ High ] , then cycle to Low and then turn the light off [ no short cuts ] , You have to cycle through the modes . This is fine , I had no issue with this [ cycling through the modes – there are only two ] The light is both basic and high tech at the same time , [ basic in the sense you have to cycle through the modes , high tech as it actually turns off ] . Congratulations to whom ever at Balder for this one , as is , this is a very nice light with some serious potential . And who say's you cant build variations on this body . HD-1A , HD-1B etc with maybe different driver options [ one to please everyone ]

XP-G R5 [ Keep forgetting Pre-production ​has XP-E for some reason , helps explain the intolerance to 14500 ]
2 modes [ No memory – no short cuts ]
Extremely well made
Updated clip
Tailstands
Comes with defuser
Compact size
Threads are well cut and smooth
OP reflector
Glass lens
Well anodized
Knurling well cut
No parasitic drain

This was a pre-production sample , the concept is simply outstanding , It works and works well , and I am impressed by this sample , and would love to see some refinement [ drop support for the 14500 and optimize it for the AA ] , the potential is there for this light to be superb , and maybe a serious contender for the must have AA flashlight for flashaholics . If it sounds like I cant say enough nice things , well its true , I just dont know how to praise this light and not sound like a suck-up , and in no way am I trying to suck-up , but how do I express the impression this little light has left on me? Its been a very long time since Ive been this excited about a flashlight , [ Solarforce L2 ] , and this is a pre-production sample which makes me wonder what direction Balder may go with this light . As it is ATM , I would recommend it , and tell you its Good. There is room for improvement how ever [ Driver ], and I can see in my minds eye the potential this light has and I would just like to say to whom ever is listening , Make it great ! Make it legendary ! The potential is there .

100_4524.jpg

100_4527.jpg

Will post some beam shots tonight

PC100009-1.jpg

PC100010-1.jpg

PC100004.jpg

PC100005.jpg

PC100002.jpg

PC100001.jpg

You are watching this post, click to stop watching

Last edited:

tobrien

Flashlight Enthusiast
Really like the looks and size of the HD-1, great review. I'm surprised no one has commented on this light. Do you know which dealers will stock this model? I'll order one when they become available.

I'm just guessing, but EDC+ probably will in all likelihood.

This light looks amazing, thanks!

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is just being released.
The e mail I received from Blader states it will ship with an XML U2 or T6 in neutral white.
No pricing available yet

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like they have gone with a H-M-L interface, based on this:

http://www.mybalder.com/product/html/?63.html

I do wish they had not raised the low quite so far, 5 lumens tops if I can have a medium mode. 80 is a bit high for medium as well, but this sounds much better than a high-moon interface.

I could not find any mention, but I would prefer mode memory if it is going to go from high to low. Always having to triple click to low would be a pain. If it were low to high, I don't care if it has memory or not.

Other than that, I really like the looks of this light, and the unique switching concept, with complete electronic shut off.

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been looking for another 14500 light, this might be the one.

ouchyfoot

Newly Enlightened
I've been looking for another 14500 light, this might be the one.

You'll love it. I love small 14500 lights and this one is a beaut. I got the XM-L neutral and it rocks.
This torch can be picky about battery brands though.
AW works okay but sometimes you have to really spend some time to turn it off. EagleTac turns it on, but that all it will do. Sanyo are too fat to fit.I couldn't find my grey Ultrafire to test.
Finally...AW IMR works great.
HD-1 seems to like the shorter batteries.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Guys.

I bought the Balder HD-1 quite a few months back and I was recently sent a replacement from Balder because the light would not turn off properly (which was nearly all of the time), when a 14500 Li-ion was used instead of the AA Alkaline or NIMH batteries as advertised.

Balder were very much aware of this fault in the earlier batches of this light.

The latest production runs should work fine now as my replacement HD-1 works perfectly well on 14500 Li-ion batteries.

The one and only biggest criticism I have of this light as no doubt many users will find, is that the really deep grooving on the body hurts my fingers and also my friends fingers when they use it, is when pressing the piston (on/off switch) down especially when the piston needs to be held down for at least two seconds to turn this light off. :shakehead

This is what puts anyone off buying this light who tries this light this light in that "quite normal" style for a small EDC light with any type of rear switching.

This is mainly the case when holding the light in a "needle injecting" style of grip and pressing the piston down with the thumb whilst holding the body between the next two fingers after the thumb.

The concept of the light is great but it does not need those really deep grooves in the body whether it was designed for better grip, appearance or whatever!!

CHEERS
:thumbsup: