Just Bought a LD22

gypsyman

Newly Enlightened
I just bought my first LED after using Maglites for years. I bought a LD22 and all I can say is wow! I'm hookeded to the point I joined your forum. This light does everything that the literature says. One thing I noticed is that if I use the alkaline batteries that came with it that the low 3 lumens is the same as the mid 42 lumens. If I put in my inexpensive and unrated mAh Ray-o-vac nimh that it works just fine. Other than that the ld22 works for me.

jonnyfgroove

Enlightened
:welcome:

That's a great light you picked up. The L2D (older gen) was the one that got me interested in quality lights.

If you can skip the alkalines all together and get more Ni-Mh cells your LD22 will thank you. :)

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing I noticed is that if I use the alkaline batteries that came with it that the low 3 lumens is the same as the mid 42 lumens. If I put in my inexpensive and unrated mAh Ray-o-vac nimh that it works just fine.

Fenix lights have pretty narrow voltage tolerances so if new batts are significantly over 1.5V, then the light kinda goes into direct drive and loses some of the lower modes. New Alks, and definitely L91 Lithiums, will likely cause this problem until the batts are run down some.

Ezeriel

Enlightened
Fenix lights have pretty narrow voltage tolerances so if new batts are significantly over 1.5V, then the light kinda goes into direct drive and loses some of the lower modes. New Alks, and definitely L91 Lithiums, will likely cause this problem until the batts are run down some.

yup.. 100% on the money there, if you run them down a bit everything will work like it should

but I agree with jonnyfgroove, just skip the alkalines all together :grin2:

Summit

Newly Enlightened
This flashlight is possibly suitable for the primary users' use such as me:laughing:

hiuintahs

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, you guys beat me to the explanation. I discovered that problem (well its not that much of a problem) on my Olight T25 (2xAA light)......but mostly from lithium L91 batteries. I believe the forward voltage drop of the Cree LED is around 3.20 volts.....maybe even a little lower. The lower the more efficient the LED is. The problem as I see it is that most of the time 2xAA batteries reside below this Vf of the LED so that means the electronic circuit needs to be a boost driver. Well if the battery voltage is above the set point of the boost driver, then the boost driver goes into idle mode and you then have direct drive as reppans pointed out and you loose regulation especially at the lower mode as that is where Vf will be even higher. As soon as the voltage of the batteries drops down below the set point of the driver then regulation will presume as normal.

bushmattster

Newly Enlightened
Congrats on your first good LED. The first one I bought blew me away. I've had alot of friends abandon their old maglights after seeing my Fenix PD30.

lightwait

Newly Enlightened
Nice light. I have one and also the Fenix LD12 and PD32. I'm liking the side mode switch.

Sooner or later alkalines will leak. Consider Eneloops if you buy more rechargeables.

markr6

Flashaholic
I just got an LD22 today also...UPS came a day early, I love when that happens! Since I already have an LD10, I pretty much knew what to expect, but was anxious to try out the new side switch. I never liked going thru the modes using the LD10/20 tailswitch, but got used to it. And to be honest, I'm just not sure about the side switch on this LD22 either. And I wish it would tailstand like that LD10/20...what a mess, I like some features of each model. Oh and the momentary on...I need it...UGH!

I wish I could have an LD10/20 that had a memory to remember the the last mode used and momentary on. I think that would be my PERFECT light. Ok, now that I'm sitting here messing with both lights, I decided the side switch is too cumbersome. I grip the light and turn it on with my thumb anyway, so it's all ready to make some more clicks if necessary without changing grip. But then again, do I really need to use all the settings, all the time? I probably use turbo 95% of the time. So maybe my perfect light is the LD12/22 that can tailstand? I can't decide what I like!! :banghead:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
This brings back memories ... the first real LED I bought (upon joining CPF) was the original Fenix L2T. Probably the first mainstream 2xAA, two-stage, circuit-controlled (not resistored) light. Extremely popular here at the time. Luxeon III, in all it's emerging glory. :) Still remember sitting in my living room lighting it up for the first time, and comparing it to the splotchy, sickly beam of a 2D cell incan.

Enjoy the LD22, and :welcome:

Burgess

Flashaholic
Thread Revival !
lovecpf

Fenix now has an UPDATED version of this flashlight.

Now rated at maximum of 215 Lumens.

My question:

Have they " solved the problem " with using L91 Lithium batteries ? ? ?

Does it Still lose the LOW mode ? ? ?

:confused:
_