Reliability and Quality: Sunwayman and Eagletac

CPFBiology

Enlightened
What are your thoughts on Sunwayman and Eagletac in terms of quality and reliability? How do they compare to Fenix?

Yes, Surefire is great an all, but I am looking for other battery options and will be looking at these two.

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never owned a Sunwayman, but I did own a few EagleTacs.

Solid products, to say the least. I owned a P20C2 MkII and two T20C2 MkII and those lights absolutely REFUSED to die.

I have since given them away because I don't like shelf queens. But, the last time I've heard, they are still alive and kicking. One of the T20C2 MkII is carried my dad and he uses it every day with AW 18650.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
My v10r Ti has numerous ~50 cm drops on the tile floor. Normally im drooling over it, place it on my lap, and forget all about it. When i stand up, it crashes down on the floor. I'm so used to it that i dont even think: "crap" when it happens anymore. Mine is really drop/shock and waterproof atleast :)

tonkem

Enlightened
I have 3 Sunwayman lights. M10a, M40a, M30a. All have been dropped on the concrete from at least 4 feet. Came back with some ano missing, but other than that still working great. :)

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
Although I pretty much have all the Sunwayman and Feni line, I only have the Eagletac Ti lights to compare with (D25A Ti Mini, D25A Ti Clicky, D25C Ti Clicky).

For the money, the Eagletac isn't bad. The quality doesn't feel up to par with the Sunwayman (machined bits left over, etc), but again for the price they're nice (esp Ti). You wouldn't mind dropping it because it's not that pricy (in comparison).

The Sunwayman appear to be very well built in contrast but you don't want to drop it anyway because they've got a "boutique" feel to it.

I've had DOA (fixable) issues for both Sunwayman and the Eagletac D25A Clicky.

If I'm going out into the bush and want a light, I'd take a Fenix, just my 2 cents :)

CPFBiology

Enlightened
Although I pretty much have all the Sunwayman and Feni line, I only have the Eagletac Ti lights to compare with (D25A Ti Mini, D25A Ti Clicky, D25C Ti Clicky).

For the money, the Eagletac isn't bad. The quality doesn't feel up to par with the Sunwayman (machined bits left over, etc), but again for the price they're nice (esp Ti). You wouldn't mind dropping it because it's not that pricy (in comparison).

The Sunwayman appear to be very well built in contrast but you don't want to drop it anyway because they've got a "boutique" feel to it.

If I'm going out into the bush and want a light, I'd take a Fenix, just my 2 cents :)

That's good, I like Fenix. Maybe I should reconsider?

Ualnosaj

Enlightened
As with anything, the decision is yours :) You've got to live with how it looks and feels for you.

Bwolcott

Enlightened

I agree completely here, I think Eagletac is ok but Sunwayman and Fenix in my opinion are just finished much nicer

T-roc87

Newly Enlightened
I have owned a few fenix lights and think they are great lights but feel the sunwayman 40a XLM that i have is even better quality yet. It is build like a tank and i have been very pleased with it. I would by another fenix or sunwayman in a heartbeat if something caught my eye.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
What are your thoughts on Sunwayman and Eagletac in terms of quality and reliability? How do they compare to Fenix?

Yes, Surefire is great an all, but I am looking for other battery options and will be looking at these two.

I own flashlights made by both companies. I have 2 lights made by each company that are very similar to each other in size, brightness, battery usage. They are the ET G25C2, and the SWM T20CS. Both lights came out at close to the same time, both have XM-L U2 LED's, both run on 1- 18650 or 2- CR123's. Both have turbo modes of about 650-700 lumens or so. The Eagletac G25C2 is a significantly thicker light. Its reflector is only about 3mm wider, and maybe 3mm deeper, but they both have fairly wide, deep reflectors for this size light. The ET has 5 cooling fins that circle the entire head, and cover about 40% of the head area, whereas the SWM has these 2 little areas on the rear/side of the head with fins that dont wrap all the way around the head.

The ET has a thick mid section where the battery sits inside, and the SWM has a somewhat thin mid section for about 1.5" of its length, then it thickens up again. But the ET has more aluminum altogether. Its about 1/2" longer.

I just started a thread the other day about heat retention among similar lights. I had to drain 2 of my spare 18650's, because I had them stored at full charge, and I read that wasnt good to do. So I drained both batteries in those 2 lights on Turbo modes. So I start the lights at the same time on turbo and let them sit side by side. The ET was slow to heat up, and after 25 minutes, it had only heated up to about 95 degrees or so, and was not heating up any more.

But the SWM began heating up fairly quickly, and after 25 minutes, it was hot. It was probably 130 degrees or so, and it was hot enough that I could hold it for about 7 seconds before it became uncomfortable. It was continuing to get hotter too. But again, that was 25 minutes of non-stop Turbo. I NEVER would do that in everyday life. I have no use for that. But if you did, then the ET would be the better light.

I like both lights. I like the looks and feel of the SWM T20CS. I like its side switch for modes, and its rear clicky for turbo. It would be lighter and easier to carry, and I like its side switch setup because I dont use turbo.

But the ET G25C2 has a simpler setup, and its easier to figure out and to use. I think it is a tougher light, and I think you'd be hard pressed to find ANY Surefire light that is as tough as it. Both lights are very bright, have great throw for their size, and have nice spill, and good color tint. Both well made.

I also have a new Eagletac D25C Ti with the XM-L U2. I sold my D25A and D25C with the XM-L t-6. I like the D25 ti lights. They are short, bright, look nice, fairly light, good low-med-high-turbo modes, great SOS, beacon and strobes. Good price too at $60-$62 after coupon.

I've never owned a Fenix light, so I cant compare them to that.