firefly led upgrade

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
anyone have any thoughts on a nice led upgrade for my firefly led with the mm+ sandwich. Would an R3JW, for example, be a nice led upgrade and if so, where would be a good place to buy one? I wonder why I never seem to be satisfied, always wanting a bit more of everything.

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
solder a new Q3 high dome where the low some was and I think that would make a big difference.

-Jason
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
has anyone considered that the copper heatsink of the firefly could be affecting the beam color?

the way it's built, the copper cup sits very close to the outer surface of the optic, and it's possible (even probable) that the beam gets yellower due to the copper behind the optic.

has anyone tried white paint on the copper cup? it seems like if that worked, it would be a much cheaper and easier solution.

Tomas

Banned
Roth, the inside of the copper heatsink in my LL123 is EN plated, and I suspect that probably does keep some "copper color" out of the beam edges.

There was mention in one of the FireFly threads that someone had just painted the inside of their copper head white, and another was painting it with GID material ...

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
IMO, there's enough internal reflective loss with the NX-05 optic that the surroundings can redirect some of it back into the optic and out the front. My first small 123 proto had the optic was in physical contact with the copper and I had an orangeish beam as a result. I went EN with the CR2 lights for that reason. I don't know how close Dough fitted the optics, but some of you guys are going to add some knowledge to the base. I had an offer for free to vacuum metalize the rear cone of some optics, but no time to exercise it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif . Maybe one of these days,

Larry

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that getting it centered would be the hardest part.
I'm going to attempt this little feat myself sometime next week after I get some thermal epoxy from the the computer guys down the street.

Oh, and I'm going to try to make an aluminum cup coated with GITD that fits my optic with just a hair standoff. I put one in my latest KL1 and it works great! That'll keep me happy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Jason

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
Turn on your FireFly and lay it on a piece of white paper and you'll see that the outer-most spill light is definitely copper-colored. I have a hard time believing that none of this makes it into the beam center, so I plan to paint mine with a high-mirror chrome model paint...