D25C Mini (twisty) lost upper modes?

rdrfronty

Enlightened
I've recently discovered my Eagletac D25C twisty, XPG S2 bin, has lost most of it's upper power modes. No high or turbo for certain. Tried multi new batteries, so no issue there. For the first 5 months I owned this light I just used good cr123a 1500mah batteries. But a few weeks back we started experimenting with 16340's. So that's whats been in it lately. And it appears to be working on turbo with the 16340, but when a standard battery is put back in its a no-go. I guess I can keep using the 16340, but I'm wondering if it is on a downhill slide and might not work with it either soon.
So the question is--did we possibly damage the XPG module? I wonder about this due to the power this little light was putting out with the IMR's. Like 474 (otf) lumens tested in my PVC lightbox, which is about double the factory output rating. I see Cree rates it up to 1.5A and about 500 emitter lumens. I can't visually see any burn spot or damage, but that's a pretty small diode. Or is the driver itself screwed up?
I just wrote Eagletac, but figured you guys might have some good input or suggestions. So???

rdrfronty

Enlightened
I forgot to mention that I never overheated the light with the 16340's. Usually only 30-60seconds at a time. It was warm at that level, but certainly not what I'd consider to be too hot.

rdrfronty

Enlightened
Yes it does go into direct drive on any RCR. But it's truly only going into low power modes now with the CR123. I too was wondering if I was spoiled by the awesome output my AW's have been producing. But I verified it with a "turbo" of 30 lumens now. Pretty sad. It has a extra low and a low, that's it now. And I verified it's still putting out well over 400otf last night on IMR's. Eagletac does say its ok to use 16340's too for short times. And I always keep the time in check and watch for it getting hot.