Fenix PD32 plus WHAT batteries?

skycamnz

Newly Enlightened
Arghhhhh!!!!!! It has taken me days trawling through pages and posts trying to decided what to buy as my first EDC light. (obviously a newbie) Should it to be AA powered, or CR123/18650? Was it going to be one cell or two???

Have finally decided to go with the Fenix PD32 and am about to push the 'buy' button. But now, do I have to start all over again to try and work out how I'm going to power it??? CR123's or 18650's. Am I going to go disposable or rechargeable? If rechargeable, what brand of charger? At least I've figured out it's PROTECTED rechargeables I should be looking at if I go rechargeable.

Do I need to start trawling for days yet again to get to the bottom of the battery issue now and sit looking at my torch until I get figured out what to power it with? As with anything, if you start to get serious about it, you realize very quickly how much you don't know :thinking:

Is there some kind soul out there who could offer me some direction on batteries??? Would appreciate any thoughts.

lightwait

Newly Enlightened
I have a Pila IBC charger. Most people recommend AW cells, they are good quality. I took a chance when I bought my PD32 and ordered some of the new Fenix 18650 batteries, the ARB-L2. I did not have any other 18650's so I can't compare. They seem fine. There is an 18650 roundup review somewhere around here.
I also have a wf-139 charger. A lot of people use it. Not really recommended. There are several versions, some work better than others. Also mine is too tight of a fit for the Fenix cells. The Pila is pricey, but its a good reasonably safe charger.

edit: Also, if you have not done so, sign up at the CPF market place and see if any CPF discounts are available from whoever you decide to buy from. Under the good deals section.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
- Please be sure to thoroughly review safety and handling procedures for Li-ion batteries, as they can explode if mishandled; we have an entire section of this forum for people who have started fires or explosions and found out the hard way that you really have to know what you're doing with these cells. You will need a multimeter to check the voltage of these batteries after charging and use, this is not optional.

- 123 cells can be just as dangerous if they are cheap, be sure to stick to quality, trusted brands only. You should also get in the habit of using the multimeter to pair cells by closest voltage, as pairs of 123s become dangerous when their voltage differs too greatly.

GunnarGG

Enlightened
Get a couple of sets of CR123 and se how long they lasts. We have different use of our lights and some people may drain a pair of CR123 in a night or two and then 18650 may be better but for some people a set of batteries may last 6 month and then it might be easier and not much more expensive to stick with primaries.

lightwait

Newly Enlightened
Get a couple of sets of CR123 and se how long they lasts. We have different use of our lights and some people may drain a pair of CR123 in a night or two and then 18650 may be better but for some people a set of batteries may last 6 month and then it might be easier and not much more expensive to stick with primaries.
Good point. Now that I have rechargeables, I end up 'wasting' my light a lot, but I remember I could go for months on a single 123 cell. I used it every day, but it was just a quick flash here and there several times a day. He'll probably burn through the first set quickly playing with the new light, but after that things should settle down. Better to spend a few $$ on primaries and see how it goes. Li-ion could cost more than the light to get started.

skycamnz

Newly Enlightened
Thanks very much for the thoughts guys :) Had seen some good recommendation for the Pila charger, but as you point out lightwait I'll be spending about the same again on batteries and charger if I go this way. Don't expect it to get heavy use, so perhaps primaries to kick the show on the road and wait and see how many I'm going through.

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
Thanks very much for the thoughts guys :) Had seen some good recommendation for the Pila charger, but as you point out lightwait I'll be spending about the same again on batteries and charger if I go this way. Don't expect it to get heavy use, so perhaps primaries to kick the show on the road and wait and see how many I'm going through.
Id go to lighthound or super-t manufacturing and get 2 AW Protected 18650's (2600, 2900, or 3100mah you choose) and the Pilla IBC.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
how about just stick to AA batteries? there are many good lights these days using AAs. sometimes i get the urge to just go strictly to AA and AAA lights to standardize on the same battery types, but im so committed to the cr123 format.
and of course alkalines are not recommended. energizer lithium AA, or rechargeable nimhs such as eneloops are very good options.

but first ask yourself, how much runtime do you plan on using your light, and how bright do you really need it?
i use low mode on my EDC 90% of the time, and only for short periods. so i change my cr123 every few weeks.

allyourblood

Newly Enlightened
I know that you've decided on the PD32, but since you mentioned using this light as an EDC, I wonder: will this knife be pocket-carried? If so, I'd like to state a case for a single cell light. There are several extremely powerful single cell lights that are small and convenient. Choosing a single 123-powered light also avoids some of the safety concerns that accompany using paired lithium primaries or 18650s.

For around the house or at work I might be inclined to carry a multi-cell light (as the added bulk isn't as much of an issue). However, for EDC purposes, I've found that a single AA or 123 model still affords me a ton of lumens, as well as many UI, comfort and carry options from all kinds of excellent manufacturers.

I carried a two-cell 123 light in the past and I thought it was really bulky in my pocket. A single 123 is still a little bulky, but much more manageable to me.

In any event, good luck with your incoming purchase!

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
The PD32 is a good light I've had a couple but in all honesty I would suggest you look at the new Eagletac D25C2L Clicky, it's smaller and has a better clip attachment, I really don't like those "clip" on clips but rather a clip that is either screwed on or secured by a ring like the D25C2L. The D25 is way brighter with a metal bezel ring and the high mode is about as bright as the turbo mode so this means you can get to a extremely bright mode without having to twist the head. Go with 18650 if you can there is really no drawback vs. cr123.

Also check out the Eagletac 3100mah 18650 cells, they use the same Panasonic cell as all the other best made 18650 cells from AW and Redilast etc. but the Eagletac has a button top so it makes better contact in some light's. Quality is high in all other areas as well with that Eagletac 3100mah 18650.

For a charger the Pila is the best but if you don't want to spend that kind of cash check out the 4sevens single bay charger, I find I use it more often than anything for charger a single 18650.

Last edited:

biglights

Enlightened
+1 on what jhc3703 just added. thats some great info. I have the D25C2L that I run on Eagletac 3100s. Very nice light, I really like it.

skycamnz

Newly Enlightened
The PD32 is a good light I've had a couple but in all honesty I would suggest you look at the new Eagletac D25C2L Clicky, it's smaller and has a better clip attachment, I really don't like those "clip" on clips but rather a clip that is either screwed on or secured by a ring like the D25C2L. The D25 is way brighter with a metal bezel ring and the high mode is about as bright as the turbo mode so this means you can get to a extremely bright mode without having to twist the head. Go with 18650 if you can there is really no drawback vs. cr123.

Also check out the Eagletac 3100mah 18650 cells, they use the same Panasonic cell as all the other best made 18650 cells from AW and Redilast etc. but the Eagletac has a button top so it makes better contact in some light's. Quality is high in all other areas as well with that Eagletac 3100mah 18650.

For a charger the Pila is the best but if you don't want to spend that kind of cash check out the 4sevens single bay charger, I find I use it more often than anything for charger a single 18650.

Ha! And I thought I' made my decision re a flashlight! Have looked at a review of the Eagletac and have to agree it looks very good. Dcecisions decisions.... And thanks for the headshup on batteries and charger :)

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ha! And I thought I' made my decision re a flashlight! Have looked at a review of the Eagletac and have to agree it looks very good. Dcecisions decisions.... And thanks for the headshup on batteries and charger :)

Arghhhhh!!!!!! It has taken me days trawling through pages and posts trying to decided what to buy as my first EDC light.

No problem I'm always glad to help someone find a good light or at least point them in a good direction and even happier to help someone who has done some research like yourself.

As you've seen their is so many flashlight choices and then if you throw in what battery type and what charger well it just becomes dizzying and can become frustrating until you get up to speed, when you get up to speed a lot of the frustration goes away but the dizziness remains until you score and get that perfect light your after and then if you catch the bug after that first great light you'll go looking for more and once again let the dizziness begin.

Anyways have a good time and I hope you like whatever you get.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I seriously recommend going the rechargeable way: you'll very likely be draining batteries like mad, especially the first week. Plus, it's good for the environment! You should still get a few primaries for emergency situations, though. AW's, Pila or WF-139 are great starting points.

skycamnz

Newly Enlightened
Cheers jhc... Just wondering, have you been to see the doc recently? After checking your flashlight collection, I strongly suspect you have a 'disease'.... possibly incurable based on the evidence. :) :)

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cheers jhc... Just wondering, have you been to see the doc recently? After checking your flashlight collection, I strongly suspect you have a 'disease'.... possibly incurable based on the evidence. :) :)

Guilty as charged and be careful it's contagious it you party around these forums to much. :)

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
Guilty as charged and be careful it's contagious it you party around these forums to much. :)
Lol about 6 months ago I would of thought u were sick to but I'm almost half way there.

Advice for the O.P. It takes awhile to find what your into. After buying Fenix's, SureFire's, Jetbeam's, Quarks ect. I realized I like choosing the mode before I turn the light on and I get annoyed when the anno chips off the flashlight and it makes me want to use them so my most used flashlight right now is my Sunwayman V10R Ti.

As for big lights my advice is save up $400 or more and just buy what you want, be it the TN30 or TK70 or SR90 or an HID or you will wind up like me and a lot of others spending more money than those lights cost, buying a Fenix PD31, then a Quark Turbo X, then a BC25 then a TK35 then a TN31 and I still really just wanting a de-domed SR90 lol