6W UV LED

TheFire

Enlightened
I suppose it would be appropriate to post this here, it being a really cool LED and all that... Anyway, I've dug up a fairly nifty UV LED that runs at 6watts. Here are the
Specs:
6W
18.5-20v @300mA NOTE THE ABNORMALLY HIGH VOLTAGE (just don't want anyone caught unawares...)
395nm
TO-66 power package
150-200mW radiant flux @200mA, expect about 1/3 more @300mA
see the datasheet pages for more info.

see the group buy thread for purchasing info.

Has anyone else here had any experience with these really high power transistor canned LEDs? I expect that they would have to be treated similarly to 5w luxeons. Does anyone have any tips or ideas for heatsinking these monsters, especially in a smaller flashlight? 6w is a LOT of power to dissipate. Would any of the existing 2x123 cell light heads provide enough heat dissipative capacity to leave this thing constantly on? I suppose I could design and build a custom head for it, but I am still doubtful enough of my skills with a lathe that I think that could take a really long time. What solutions have worked well for others in the past?

Thanks,
Paul

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Paul,

Have you tried any of the colored or white LED's from these guys? The packaging looks the same and if the voltage requirements are similar, it might be cheaper to experiment with a cheaper part.

- Don

TheFire

Enlightened
Good thought. I'm not sure how much cheaper the other powers would be, but I could certainly find out. Heck, I could check for fit with some old TV transistors or something... wouldn't be quite the same, and couldn't test them like you can LEDs, but it might help the design process... I'm thinking a custom machined aluminium head for them. I'd dearly love to put a parabolic reflector on it, but for right now, those are a bit out of my reach... I should work something up in solidworks, though, just to see...

Paul