BC40 Jetbeam Problem

harro

Enlightened
Hi;
Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and how you've fixed it?
My BC40 has just ( after about 15 months ) lost its high output. This happens with either 4 x CR123a or 2 x 18650. Low still works, and doesn't cause problems, however, when you try to switch to high the light just stops working. It's also dangerously obvious that when trying the light on high, the batteries heat up DRAMATICALLY This seems like a dead short circuit to me, and i now dont use what was previously a very handy torch. There seems to be nothing obviously wrong, like a sliver of aluminium shorting out contacts, or a drop of solder come loose, so i'm curious as to whether this is a knackered driver, and if it can be replaced? Also, where would i obtain such a beast ? ( Switching between hi-lo is done by rotating head ). Can the driver even be removed from the torch, or is it time for a new torch?
Many thanks in advance for your advice,
Mike.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi;
My BC40 has just ( after about 15 months ) lost its high output. This happens with either 4 x CR123a or 2 x 18650. Low still works, and doesn't cause problems, however, when you try to switch to high the light just stops working. It's also dangerously obvious that when trying the light on high, the batteries heat up DRAMATICALLY This seems like a dead short circuit to me, and i now dont use what was previously a very handy torch. There seems to be nothing obviously wrong, like a sliver of aluminium shorting out contacts, or a drop of solder come loose, so i'm curious as to whether this is a knackered driver, and if it can be replaced? Also, where would i obtain such a beast ? ( Switching between hi-lo is done by rotating head ). Can the driver even be removed from the torch, or is it time for a new torch?
Mike.

Have you contacted Jetbeam about this? Maybe they can give you an anser. I have 3 Jetbeam lights, but I have never had to use their warranty, so I dont even really know how long their warranty is. Maybe they'll help you out and fix it at no charge, especially if they hear you are a cpf member. If the light screws up like that, and they dont help you out, that could lead to a negative thread that hundreds of potential Jetbeam buyers read.

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Contact Jetbeam. This situation could be dangerous (like you said). They should offer help. I have a Jetbeam 40 and it has worked flawlessly for over a year. Your batteries should not get hot. You should have high as an option. Something is wrong.

harro

Enlightened
Hi;
Mike.

Just an update re my BC40 ( i have no ties to Jetbeam or anyone else for that matter ). The Australian distributor has been extremely helpful. At present, my torch is winging its way to Jetbeam for repair, and should arrive back here in a week or two, after the distributor felt it was the driver at fault.

Latest posts