Klarus XT11 problem

pmede76

Newly Enlightened
Hi all. I recently took delivery of a XT11. Have been extremely happy with it, up until last night. Was showing it to a workmate, went from high to strobe and back to high. It suddenly started blinking while on high, then within a couple minutes pressing buttons it died completely. I would be lucky to have gotten half an hour use out of it. The cr123 batteries are still showing 2.7 volts on a multi meter. Is this just a failed cell scenario or something more sinister. I realise trying new batteries would be the obvious thing to do, but I won't have access to any for a few days. Any help greatly appreciated.

FlashLion

Enlightened
Probably the problem is LOW batteries.You should try with new cr123 or fresh charged 18650.

ico

Enlightened
Batteries too I guess. At normal states( I forgot the term but when the battery is not connected to the light) the battery may even read at 3.0V but in reality is its juiced up already and since yours read 2.7 I guess they're already dead

pmede76

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies. I have experienced car batteries that read 12 volts, but as soon as a load is placed on it, it will be dead, indicating a dead cell. I don't know a lot about modern battery chemistry though. I'm hoping I just got a dud one.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2

I will be a little disappointed if that's all the run time I can expect, doesn't seem right after reading and watching reviews though.

I certainly do hope that's all it is. Every review I have read and watched indicate much better runtime than this. Won't know until I can get hold of more batteries. Thanks for the replies.:thumbup:

Thanks for the replies. I have seen car batteries do something similar, read full voltage until a load is placed on it and then drop back to next to nothing. I don't know enough about modern battery chemistry though so hopefully that is all it is. I will be bummed if that is all the runtime I can expect. All the reviews I have watched and read and specs all indicate a couple hours. Time will tell.

*Modertor note: I have merged the four posts made in this thread into one post ~Greta

Last edited by a moderator:

Adrenaline_6

Newly Enlightened
I have an XT11 and have seen the exact conditions when running it in a low battery condition. Change them out, you should be just fine. Make sure you use high quality Cr123's or better yet get a couple AW 18650's in 3100mAh...the run time is excellent!

Up All Night

Enlightened
@2.7 volts off load your batteries are dead. I don't own a XT11 but you should get a lot more than 30 min. run-time on high. Did you check the voltage before using them? Any CR123's I install in lights start life @ 3.25 volts or close to it. For multi-cell lights I check voltage about half way through the manufacturers run-time claims to see if the cells are discharging evenly.
I would stick to quality US or Japanese cells. Better yet, get yourself some good 18650's and save yourself some money!

pmede76

Newly Enlightened
Thanks again. Good to know someone else has seen the same thing. The batteries I put in it were the ones the supplier sent with the torch, Tenergy 123's. I will finally have access to some more batteries in the morning so I'll make sure I get good ones. Cheers guys.:D

stripe14631

Newly Enlightened
So was it just a battery issue? I to just ordered the xt11 it came with x2 ultrafire 18650's and charger. Terrible run time and starts blinking before it dies. And the charger never worked.

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1, and (depending on what you've got at the moment) I'd recommend a decent charger while you're at it for safety and to get the most out of your cells.

I have used Soshine Li-ion chargers for years without any problems.

I have the Soshine Max and the Soshine Mix.

I also have the Soshine SC-S7 charger, it's great for single cells of both Li-ion and NIMH chemistries.

It has a digital display that shows the percentage of charge and other data.

CHEERS

Last edited:

TEEJ

Flashaholic
I like the AW18350 IMR's in the XT11 for maximum brightness, and one 3400 mah 18650 for maximum run time.

Generally, below ~ 3v, most decent lights start to blink to warn you that your cells are getting low.