Which headlamp for hiking?

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
I need to recommend a headlamp tomorrow. It will be used for hiking in the mountains. The gentleman will use it 10-20 nights a year. I know nothing about headlamps and very little about much of anything else so I am requesting some help.

I need the answers to these two questions:

1. If money is no object, what is the best headlamp?

2. If I want the best headlamp for the money, prefer LED but need good output what do I buy?

The answer could be the same headlamp but I doubt it.

Thanks,
DD

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
How does he intend to use the light? 10-20 nights in a row or 1-2 nights a trip? Is he going to be night hiking, or just a few chores at bedtime? If night hiking, anything technical or just trail?

-john

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought a Tikkia Plus... it's nice for $28, but if money's no object I'm sure there's a nicer one.

Not powerful enough for real night hiking, but if he needs a nice led light that has dimmable modes and optional lenses this one's not bad.

-Jason

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
He said he likes to do serious nighttime hiking, not just camp stuff. He's talking full pack, up and down the Sierra's all night. He probably goes for 3-4 nights at a stint. I would think mostly trail stuff. He's about 60 but has the body of a 30 year old and is probably in better shape than most 20 year olds. He is very aggressive on everything he does. Whether it be hula-hoops or hiking, he takes it seriously. He can outpace my 40 year old body without breaking a sweat.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've gone a little nuts for headlamps over the last 6 months. I recommend the Princeton-Tec Yukon or new Yukon HL.

I haven't been up in the mountains with it, but I've used the Yukon (3x5mm LEDs/Incandescent hybrid) since June and, as soon as it's available, will be buying the new P-T Yukon HL (Hybrid LED) which will have a 1 Watt Luxeon LED in place of the incandescent lamp.

The Yukon is excellent...tough, highly water resistant, very versatile lighting options, very good runtime, fairly comfortable and the head is hinged so you can direct the beam where you want it. I expect the new Yukon HL will be the same.

My Yukon cost me $35-36.00 plus shipping on Ebay.

You can check them out here: princeton-tec

BC

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the problem you are going to find is that (IMO) optimal headlamps are not available.

First off, for serious night hiking, I think I'd avoid the AAA lights. I think I'd shoot for a dual brightness (or more) light based on at least three AAs. Probably run lithiums to lighten up a bit, both on the head and lugging lamp fuel. You also probably want a full width band with a top strap for comfort and the ability to have the lamp stay put.

The second issue is how much light is he going to need. I think three 5MM LEDs is probably going to be OK for trail work. However, if he needs more light things are going to be a bit more difficult.

If we assume that three LEDs are OK for what he is going to do, I'd say look at the Princeton Tec Yukon (3AA), Petzl Myo 3 (4AA) or Myo 5 (4AA). It's possible the Black Diamond Gemini might be OK, but it only has two LEDs. I'd perfer the Yukon HL which has a Luxeon Star for a main bulb, but I don't think you can get them yet.

While I looked at them all in the store, I only have the Yukon. The Myo seems overly complicated (and costly) and a bit gimicky. The Yukon is simple, to the point and obviously built to be sturdy and waterproof. If I was going to get a Myro, I'd pick the Myo 5 since it has the extra LEDs. Both the Yukon and the Myo seem to be built well.

Things to consider tho - the Yukon only has three modes - off, on-main, on-LED. I think the Myo (at least the Myo 5) has more modes. I think the modes are more trouble than they are worth, but YMMV.

If he needs more light, you probably want to look at a regulated light. The Black Diamond Super Nova comes to mind. I think uses Willie Hunt's LVR for regulation. I think the regulation provides brightness levels (edit: yes, I found it - three levels) so you probably can't go too wrong.

An interesting alternative might be the NiteRider Storm Helmet H.I.D. light with the optinal Explorer Headband (or the helmet mount). They claim 4 hours with that killer HID light, but in the end I suspect this isn't real practical, especially using rechargable batteries. I'd be very curious to see how comfortable it is - anyone try this?

The HDSSystems Actionlight is potentially a good fit, but hasn't been available for well over a year. They claim to be available in Dec.

While several people have liked it, I think the Petzl Duo light looks very poorly built and designed. Before the current crop to dual output lights showed up I went and checked it out in the store, fully expecting to buy one. I was so disappointed I decided to wait until something else came along (and that's pretty hard for a flashaholic)).

-john

Extra comments about the Yukon:

I like the way the lamp assembly is minimal and pivets up and down. Makes it easy to grab it and move the light where you need it.

LEDs are pretty blueish.

Main beam is focusable, but pretty splotch at wider settings. I leave mine focused pretty narrow because of this. The Yukon HL would take care of this issue.

Yukon Pics

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow! Good report, John N. Great how you did those photos, like showing the LEDs and the Incan lit, the battery compartment open and the bezel and lamp removed.

How nice if the manufacturers would provide such useful photographs of their products.

You sold me again on my Yukon! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BC

B@rt

Flashaholic
How about the Black Diamond Zenix ?
zenix_s.jpg

3AAA
1 LS, 2 5mm leds
~12-15 hrs on high, ~140 hrs on low
weight: 90 grams (125 gr with batts)

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bart, that Black Diamond Zenix looks like a compact and comfortable headlamp with some oomph.

The Black Diamond Supernova really caught my eye when I followed the link. I like it that it's regulated. I'm finding more and more that I prefer regulation. Abruptly running out of juice isn't a big concern for me anymore. Especially since I don't do the caving thing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

If I did, you can bet I would be festooned with lights and backup lights and bandoleers of batteries crisscrossing my chest like Pancho Villa.

Since the Yukon HL isn't available...I might as well go for the BD Supernova in my pursuit for, as John N puts it, "the optimal headlamp". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

BC

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have trouble accepting the 12-15 hours on high claim for that BD Zenix, given the 3 X AAA power source.

I am also waiting for the Yukon HL. In the meantime, I would recommend the PT Solo + Matrix Module + White Everled (in wide reflector) + AA Lithiums + extra headstrap (comes with strap and base plate) + Petzl Helmet clips (set of 4) if he uses a climbing/caving helmet.

Alternately, he could go with the PT Switchback, which comes with 4 C cell (series/parallel) belt pack with plug on headlamp end of the cord, and extra bulbs and batts. It can use C cells in the belt pack, or, 2 AAs in the headlamp body. When you plug in the beltpack, it cuts out the AA cells.

The advantage of the Solo setup above, is the Matrix Module is perfect for in tent usage and 100+ hours runtime on a pair of Lithium AAs. Yes, I know it is fairly dim, but it has its uses.

For AAs, I would pack them as 1 pair per 2x3 ziploc and store them in pack, except for 1 pair for easy access.

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
I am also waiting for the Yukon HL. In the meantime, I would recommend the PT Solo + Matrix Module + White Everled (in wide reflector) + AA Lithiums + extra headstrap (comes with strap and base plate) + Petzl Helmet clips (set of 4) if he uses a climbing/caving helmet.

Alternately, he could go with the PT Switchback, which comes with 4 C cell (series/parallel) belt pack with plug on headlamp end of the cord, and extra bulbs and batts. It can use C cells in the belt pack, or, 2 AAs in the headlamp body. When you plug in the beltpack, it cuts out the AA cells.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great suggestions !

Oh man... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I hadn't even thought about an Everled.

BC

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
B@rt said:
How about the Black Diamond Zenix ?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oooh, I like! Might be pretty optimal if you replaced the AAA battery box with a AA box. Seems like a fairly simple mod.

-john

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Not too late at all. I am waiting until this evening to give him the options.

Thanks for all the great suggestions and comments.

DD

Spectre

Newly Enlightened
I have the Myo 5, and would also recommend it. The Myo 5 is also available as a belt model (using C batteries instead of AAs) for extended runtime.

Edit (added some info I found):

Here is pictures of the two models:
Regular Myo 5
Produit_Image_245.jpg

Myo 5 Belt
Produit_Image_247.jpg

Myo 5 Black:
Produit_Image_462.jpg

More info on petzl web page here

Bjorn

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Since you mentioned money is no object, I'd recommend highly Lupine Xtreme. It has dimmable 26 LEDs driven by 5.5A 7.2v li-ion battery. It runs 10 hours on high beam and around 30 hrs on low beam. For the moment, this is the best headlamp I got. Hopefully, a good 5W dimmable LS based headlamp with capable powerpack would be available soon.

Alan

John N

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Alan said:Hopefully, a good 5W dimmable LS based headlamp with capable powerpack would be available soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

sloegin posted a link to this 5W headlamp on the LED forum.

Anyone have this critter?

-john

Edit: Found a US source for this light (they also have the Lupine).

paulr

Flashaholic
I've been interested in the Elektrolumens Elektrostar. May not be available right now, but bright, LED, excellent value for the money.