Hawaiian Vacation Lights

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Going to Maui next month:D, and planning to bring these lights.

7528947996_81a9277475.jpg

I'll take 14500s and eneloop AAAs, but can fall back to alkalines in a pinch.
The Maratac (warm R4) will be for nightstand, general hotel use, and night time beach walks
With the Quark X for car trips, and other travel.

Does this seem like a good approach?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Absolutely... I EDC the same thing everywhere, although mines the ITP version and I'm using eneloops for both.

Enjoy your trip, I had a blast on Maui.
(that reminds me I need to clean and de-gunk the threads on my 47-AAT, its been a year... thanks for the reminder!!)

Last edited:

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
This looks perfect. I hope the quark is xpe or xpg. XML is too floody. You'll want a little throw.

Share your experience when you're back ;)

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
This looks perfect. I hope the quark is xpe or xpg. XML is too floody. You'll want a little throw.

Share your experience when you're back ;)

He stated Quark X in his OP, so I think it's the xm-l version. I hope you do some night hiking; I was told the mosquitoes are notorious in the summer.

HAVE FUN!

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice setup, you shouldn't need more than that.

p.s.: WE WANT PICTURESS!!!!!

nbp

Flashaholic
Thats all you need. Save the rest of the space for bringing back mementos.

McGizmo lives there. Stop by his house and pick yourself up a Haiku. I guarantee it'll be the best vacation souvenir you'll ever buy.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice setup, you shouldn't need more than that.
p.s.: WE WANT PICTURESS!!!!!
Here's one from 2004...
7540278398_2edc48fb99_c.jpg

I hope you do some night hiking; I was told the mosquitoes are notorious in the summer.
HAVE FUN!
Last time I was there we toured the Keanae Arboretum on the road to Hana and got eaten alive by mosquitos. Between my wife, daughter and I we had over 50 bites! Never felt a thing til later...

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last time I was there we toured the Keanae Arboretum on the road to Hana and got eaten alive by mosquitos.

Have you tried pyrethrum infused (or similar) wrist bands? I know they're fashionably challenged but it's better than wearing the lotions & sprays etc.

BTW nice choice on the EDC's, primary capable lights are always a good choice when travelling by air/OS :D

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you tried pyrethrum infused (or similar) wrist bands? I know they're fashionably challenged but it's better than wearing the lotions & sprays etc. BTW nice choice on the EDC's, primary capable lights are always a good choice when travelling by air/OS :D

Just the wife and me this time so we'll probably spend most of the time away from mosquito territory, but that's a good tip. Yeah, they're making it harder and harder to travel with Li-ions. I have a load of NiHm AAs for my camera to borrow from if needed.

ikeyballz

Newly Enlightened
Do the Haleakala drive! If you're going for sunrise, bring a thick thick jacket. It will be FREEZING. Sunset is a bit more crowded but not as cold! Do the "road to Hana" but be sure to let the local guys pass you ;).

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do the Haleakala drive! If you're going for sunrise, bring a thick thick jacket. It will be FREEZING. Sunset is a bit more crowded but not as cold! Do the "road to Hana" but be sure to let the local guys pass you ;).

Iv'e done the road to Hana before, but may go back - beautiful drive! Can't seem to get up early enough for sunrise on Haleakala - too old I guess... Definitely hitting the Maui Winery again!

RedLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Palm Springs, CA, Beverly Hills, CA, Washington, D
Nice choice for travel lights. As a professional traveler, I approve!

However, the ultimate Hawaiian light experience would be going to the islands with a Mcgizmo Haiku.

Nevertheless, have a great trip. I love having a project in Hawaii.

All the best,

Aloha!

NR/RL

Last edited:

SDM44

Newly Enlightened
We went to Maui last summer and I took my TK41 and E21 that I had at the time (wish I had my TM11).

We were in a condo that was literally 20 ft away from the ocean, on the 11th floor with full 180 degree ocean views. So at night when it was pitch black, it was fun to take my TK41 and shine it down onto the water and light up the area pretty well from my balcony (or lanai was they call it :)). I wish I had my TM11 at the time because I know from the height I was out, it would have really lit up the entire beach in front of our building.

I didn't get a chance to utilize the lights during any beach walks since we had our 1 1/2 year old with us at the time, but during the times I did use the E21 (walking out to the parking lot at night, etc), I was glad I had a bright EDC light with me.

SCEMan

Flashlight Enthusiast
SDM44: Sounds pretty cool, but if I start any "flashaholic" activity on our anniversary vacation my wife will probably kill me...