Nitecore SENS Round-Up Review (AA, CR, Mini)

Xrunner4

Newly Enlightened
img0074za.jpg
[/IMG]
Here's the latest line-up from Nitecore. I will do a general review since the UI is identical on all three models and then do some specifics on each one. I received these in advance from Nitecore for the purpose of reviewing them. I do not work for Nitecore or any of their authorized resellers. They did not send me packaging or the keychain or spare O-ring that will come in the retail package.
poster1uo.jpg
[/IMG]
poster2f.jpg
[/IMG]

How they work:
These EDCs work as advertised. The SENS Automatic Dimming Technology (ADT) is intuitively designed and comes in more handy than I expected. The UI is very easy to understand and to remember, even for me. The first time I used it, I remembered how without giving it any thought.
Basically, to use the SENS EDCs in ADT mode, you point the flashlight straight up while turning it on, which is done by twisting the head and is easily accomplished with one hand. The built in accelerometer "senses" the angle of the flashlight and puts it in ADT mode. What that means is that when pointing straight ahead or higher, you get full brightness; when pointing downward at roughly a 45 degree angle, you get the medium brightness; and when pointing straight down, you get the low brightness. The main purpose of this is to save on battery life which, according to Nitecore, gives you 5-8 times longer life than the brightest mode. The other benefit I found is that when walking on a trail, you don't need nearly the amount of light to see directly in front of you as you would pointing your flashlight at a distant object. In real world usage, what I found was that the flashlight gradually reduced its light when going from a brighter mode to a dimmer mode over a period of a second or two. This was helpful so that your eyes can adjust to the dimming light. On the other hand, when going from a dimmer mode to a brighter mode, the increase was nearly instantaneous. This is helpful so that when you're walking on a trail and illuminating the ground just in front of your feet and you hear Bigfoot directly in front of you, you can swing the head of the flashlight up and not have to wait for it to gradually brighten while Bigfoot runs away. The Nitecore people really thought this through (Actually, in China it would not be Bigfoot, but the Yeti, but you get the idea). What I really like about ADT, though, is that it can easily be overridden by the user. If you want the brightest setting all the time, you turn it on while pointing it straight ahead; if you want the medium brightness all the time, you turn it on while point it downward at a 45 degree angle; if you want the lowest brightness, you turn it on while pointing it straight down. Once you've turned it on in any one of those 3 settings, it remains at that particular brightness no matter how you angle the flashlight until it's turned off. Obviously, there are times when you want your flashlight on the brightest setting when you're pointing it straight down such as when I'm looking for my round file in the bottom of my cavernous toolbox. I found that while using these flashlights, all of these functions worked flawlessly. Again, it was easy to use and became almost second nature after the first or second use. There's no counting of clicks or finding other buttons to push or flicks of the wrist like many other adjustable brightness flashlights.
Basic features:
These flashlights seem to be well made. They're finished in diamond knurling that gives you a decent grip and a natural feel. The finish is a military grade anodized satin black that seems durable. I dropped them on a number of occasions (not on purpose) and they endured my abuse although I discovered a noticeable ding in the tailpiece of one of them and don't even remember how it got there. These are definitely floods. If you want something with a lot of throw, this isn't for you. Perhaps Nitecore will come out with some spots that have ADT in the future. The reflectors are smooth and the lens is quite good at spreading an even pattern of light. You can view some shots later in this review. I didn't test the battery life but from what I could tell, the supplied specs from Nitecore seemed reasonably accurate. There is no strobe, SOS, or any other light pattern other than what's already been described. They all use the Cree XP-G (R5) LED lamp. The lumens produced is different based on each model as outlined below. I didn't test them underwater although Nitecore claims that they meet IPX-8 standards of 2 meters. The head has brass threads and an O-ring while the body appears to have aluminum threads. The threads are numerous and fine requiring nearly 4 and a half turns to go from unattached to on. A quarter turn will accomplish on and off so, again, easy to operate one handed. I was also happy to notice that they didn't inadvertently turn on in my pocket. They have two holes and a notch in the tailpiece that is suitable for a lanyard and can still stand on the tailpiece with the lanyard in place. I did a test with a lanyard I had and it did require a bit of an awkward adjustment of the lanyard in order to accomplish that. Here's a sample picture.
img0087qd.jpg
[/IMG]
img0086ez.jpg
[/IMG]

Specific Models:
SENS AA

(Nitecore provided me with the following 2 images for the SENS AA only, but it basically applies to all 3 models other than the lumens)

sensaaen4.jpg
[/IMG]
sensaaen2.gif
[/IMG]

Features

·CREE XP-G (R5) LED

·Maximum output of up to 120 lumens

·Highly effective current circuit board

·High efficiency circuit enables maximum runtime of up to 60 hours

·3 brightness levels

·Active dimming system with auto-adjust function

·Soft turn-on mode and low illumination for everyday usage

·Convenient one-handed operation

·Board voltage circuit, compatible with primary or rechargeable Li-on batteries.

·Reverse polarity protection

·Equipped with integrated lens

·Constructed from aerospace grade aluminum alloy

·Type III military grade hard anodizing

·Special-made rhombic knurling for better grip

·Waterproof in accordance with IPX-8 (2meterssubmersible)

·Tailstandability

Dimensions

Length:81mm

Head Diameter:19.8mm

Tail Diameter:17.5mm

Weight: 26g (withoutbattery)

aabattery.jpg

[/IMG]
img0075qp.jpg
[/IMG]
img0083lj.jpg
[/IMG]

img0078mf.jpg
[/IMG]

The following shots were taken of a fence from about 12 feet away. These are very non-scientific but you get the idea of the differences in brightness, and the flood pattern.

Bright Setting = 120 Lumens
img0088bwy.jpg
[/IMG]

Medium Setting - 20 Lumens
img0089br.jpg
[/IMG]

Low setting - 6 Lumens
img0090ii.jpg
[/IMG]

These pictures were taken on an interior wall from about 4 feet.

Bright Setting = 120 Lumens
img0097hx.jpg
[/IMG]

Medium Setting - 20 Lumens
img0098q.jpg
[/IMG]

Low Setting - 6 Lumens
img0099qc.jpg
[/IMG]

SENS CR

Features

·CREE XP-G (R5) LED

·Maximum output of up to 190 lumens

·Highly effective current circuitboard

·High efficiency circuit enables maximum runtime of up to 27 hours

·3 brightness levels

·Board voltage circuit, compatible with primary or rechargeable Li-on batteries

·Special-made rhombic knurling for better grip

·Water proof in accordance with IPX-8 (2meterssubmersible)

·Tail standability

Dimensions

Length:64mm

Tail Diameter:19.8mm

Weight:23.8g (withoutbattery)

crbattery.jpg
[/IMG]

The following shots were taken of a fence from about 12 feet away. These are very non-scientific but you get the idea of the differences in brightness, and the flood pattern.

Bright Setting = 190 Lumens
img0091rg.jpg
[/IMG]

Medium Setting - 60 Lumens
img0092wk.jpg
[/IMG]

Low Setting - 20 Lumens
img0093we.jpg
[/IMG]

Bright Setting = 190 Lumens
img0101no.jpg
[/IMG]

Medium Setting - 60 Lumens
img0102wz.jpg
[/IMG]

Low Setting - 20 Lumens
img0103qx.jpg
[/IMG]

SENS Mini

Features

·CREE XP-G (R5) LED

·Maximum output of up to 170 lumens

·Highly effective current circuit board

·High efficiency circuit enables maximum runtime of up to 14 hours

·3 brightness levels

·Board voltage circuit, compatible with primary or rechargeable Li-on batteries

·Special-made rhombic knurling for bettergrip

·Waterproof in accordance with IPX-8 (2meterssubmersible)

·Tailstandability

Dimensions

Length:57mm

Tail Diameter:18.5mm

Weight:19.4g(withoutbattery)

minibattery.jpg
[/IMG]

Bright Setting = 170 Lumens
img0094hp.jpg
[/IMG]

Medium Setting - 150 Lumens
img0095mi.jpg
[/IMG]

Low Setting - 20 Lumens
img0096dc.jpg
[/IMG]

Bright Setting = 170 Lumens
img0105ur.jpg
[/IMG]

Medium Setting - 50 Lumens
img0104mrl.jpg
[/IMG]

Low Setting - 20 Lumens
img0106vc.jpg
[/IMG]

Final Thoughts:
I have to say that the more I use them, the more I really love these EDCs. The SENS CR is my personal favorite because of the combination of its compact size, high output, and versatility of also using rechargeable CR123 batteries. As of this writing, I don't know the prices of any of these, but based on Nitecore's reputation for packing a lot of value in their products, I'm sure these will be worth the investment. If these are successful, and I'm expecting they will be, look for more products in the SENS line with ADT features.
If you have any further questions, I will do my best to answer them in this thread.
Thank You!

Xrunner4

Newly Enlightened
I just saw these on BatteryJunction available for $31.95 each. That's a great price IMO. I thought they'd go for at least $40.

bon1

Newly Enlightened
I just saw these on BatteryJunction available for $31.95 each. That's a great price IMO. I thought they'd go for at least $40.

That's cool, but there's been some shortcuts like using a stamped leaf spring instead of a conical coil spring for the negative end of the battery and there's no pocket clip included.

Xrunner4

Newly Enlightened
That's cool, but there's been some shortcuts like using a stamped leaf spring instead of a conical coil spring for the negative end of the battery and there's no pocket clip included.
I did read that review where the reviewer said that 2 of the 3 prongs broke on the leaf spring on one of his lights. They do indeed have leaf springs. Maybe I'm just giving Nitecore the benefit of the doubt here, but is it possible that leaf springs reduce the overall length of the light better than a coil spring does? Also, since these are twisty lights, would a coil spring function as well? I had no problems with the leaf springs on mine. As far as a pocket clip, I'm hoping that it will be an optional add-on down the road.

Xrunner4

Newly Enlightened
My EagTac D25A Mini uses a conical coil spring for this purpose--no problems so far. :)

Thanks. You answered my question. If the leaf spring in the Nitecores is flimsy, hopefully they'll upgrade to a better spring steel or else something a bit beefier.

Adobo

Newly Enlightened
Very interesting indeed.. Now, I wonder how it will look like in Titanium :grin2:

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review.

Nice idea from Nitecore and quite an innovation in the realm of UI. It remains to be seen whether it is a boon or a gimmick.

I have ordered an AA and a CR123A type of these lights, but I have to confess if the CR123A type had a lower low, I would not have bothered with the AA. I think that 20 lumens is too bright for a multi mode light to have as the lowest setting. And the practical difference between 20 and 60 lumens is not enough to make the two modes very useful.

I do wish manufacturers would have lower lows.

Anyway, come on Mr Postman, do your stuff.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can the brightness still be locked?

Imagine using the low mode reading a book in the dark, automatic switching to hi due to position change would not be wanted, does it have a distance sensor ?

Xrunner4

Newly Enlightened
Great review.

Nice idea from Nitecore and quite an innovation in the realm of UI. It remains to be seen whether it is a boon or a gimmick.

I have ordered an AA and a CR123A type of these lights, but I have to confess if the CR123A type had a lower low, I would not have bothered with the AA. I think that 20 lumens is too bright for a multi mode light to have as the lowest setting. And the practical difference between 20 and 60 lumens is not enough to make the two modes very useful.

I do wish manufacturers would have lower lows.

Anyway, come on Mr Postman, do your stuff.

I agree. 6 lumens is a good amount when you just need a little illumination in a darkened setting. 20 lumens can be too much. I do find myself grabbing the AA model in many cases for that very reason. I'm not sure why Nitecore took that route with the Mini and the CR. Different strokes for different folks?

Xrunner4

Newly Enlightened
Can the brightness still be locked?

Imagine using the low mode reading a book in the dark, automatic switching to hi due to position change would not be wanted, does it have a distance sensor ?

Yes the brightness can be locked in any one of the three settings.
No, it does not have a distance sensor.

jorgen

Enlightened
I received my AA sens today. Sadly my light will not ignite when I try to run it on an Ultrafire 14500 or a Battery Junction 14505. it does work as advertised on an alky though.
EDIT: I solved the problem by using a 1 mm spacer after discovering the 14500 were slightly shorter than alkys

Last edited:

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is your AA Sens brighter on the 14500?

Received my Mini and AA Sens today. Wish the low on the mini was as low as the AA. Pretty good lights. but I'm still not sure if this is a gimmick yet. Especially not too sure of the slow start!

The strengths of the high and the med on the Mini are too similar IMHO.

The AA is not too bad though.