Accidental activation ZebraLight H51 vs SC51

TweakMDS

Enlightened
Since I recently found out that all ZebraLight H51 and SC51 models since january 2012 no longer use PWM (as confirmed by ZL to me this morning), it made it's way back on my shortlist.
The only minor downside this light still has for me is the accidental activation... Otherwise almost everything is perfect with this light.

I was just wondering - for people who own or have used both, which model is less likely to accidentally turn on in your pocket? I'm tempted to think the H51 might have a slight edge here, but it's hard to judge from pictures alone. I'm guessing it also depends on how you use it. I'm considering clipping it into my jacket pocket or inside my camera bag.

The tailcap lockout is always an option, but I'm already sure I will forget this at one point.

If I'm not mistaken, the vertical vs horizontal activation is the only difference between these lights.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
If I'm not mistaken, the vertical vs horizontal activation is the only difference between these lights.

On the H series, the fact that the point of aim changes when you rotate the light in its clip adds a huge range of hands-free options, not even counting then headband, if that's important to you. Also, people have glued a O-ring to the button rim to make it deeper and less prone to accidental activation - I don't think that would look as good or work as well on the SC model.

bon1

Newly Enlightened
I was about to purchase a Fenix HL21 when I read in this thread that the Zebralight H51 was now available without any PWM-generated modes.

Comparing the beamshots available at Fonarik I can see that the HL21 throws better than the H51, while the Zebralight does a better job at illuminating shorter distances than the Fenix unit.

The H51 has significantly better runtimes than the HL21 and I have not been able to find any complains about the headband provided with the Zebralight while there has been some issues reported on the HL21 counterpart (as it can be read on the user reviews available at Amazon).

In both cases, the headlamps have the possibility to turn accidentally on. Also, the lens cannot be replaced by the user in any of these two headlamps.

Neither the HL21 nor the H51 have a top strap on their respective headbands.

The H51 costs almost twice the price of the HL21 headlamp. But the H51 comes with two "headlamp holders" plus a pocket clip (since the Zebralight can double as a flashlight) which, I guess, are not even available for purchase on the Fenix counterpart.

In my case, I'll go with the H51 since I have not been able to locate a spare "headlamp holder" for the HL21 anywhere on the Internet--spare parts are important to me.

I hope that this somehow helps the original poster. :)

P.S.

Readers keep in mind that I may have overlooked something in my short "comparison" above.

Last edited:

Latest posts