A new OLED is on the horizon

davyro

Enlightened
I've just been reading an interesting article about a new LED that has been developed in Utah University,it's a new "spintronic" organic LED (OLED) it's going to be brighter more efficent & very cheap to produce.It also run's a lot cooler
in fact it needs to be adjusted to get it to run at room temperature,It also can control the amount of electric current very accurately.The downside is the wait we will have before it will be available to be used in flashlights,the estimate
is 5 yrs.The good news is there is a lot of research going on in the development of LED or OLED technology.There is an article in science daily saying we should be using LED's as our household lighting source's in 3yrs time.The thing is
I was starting to think flashlight technology was levelling out with nothing ground breaking on the horizon,well it seems a flashlight that runs on high power with long runtimes will be our's in a few years time.This was always going to happen
it's just nice to know that we now have information when this will be happening.For more info it's the University of Utah physics department that have developed this new OLED technology.

tickled

Newly Enlightened
I've just been reading an interesting article about a new LED that has been developed in Utah University,it's a new "spintronic" organic LED (OLED) it's going to be brighter more efficent & very cheap to produce.It also run's a lot cooler in fact it needs to be adjusted to get it to run at room temperature,It also can control the amount of electric current very accurately.The downside is the wait we will have before it will be available to be used in flashlights,the estimate is 5 yrs.The good news is there is a lot of research going on in the development of LED or OLED technology.There is an article in science daily saying we should be using LED's as our household lighting source's in 3yrs time.The thing is I was starting to think flashlight technology was levelling out with nothing ground breaking on the horizon,well it seems a flashlight that runs on high power with long runtimes will be our's in a few years time.This was always going to happen it's just nice to know that we now have information when this will be happening.For more info it's the University of Utah physics department that have developed this new OLED technology.
There are still many drawbacks with OLED's that are yet to be solved before they become viable for flashlight usage. I'm pessimistic and don't think we will see any in torches within 5 years.

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't seem to find it now... but there is a funny web meme that says something to the effect of: When scientists say a new technology will be available in the next 1-2 years, that really means: 10-20 years. When they say 5-10 years, that really means: 50 years; and when they say in our lifetime, that really means NEVER... but I love these ideas and of course cannot wait for ever-improving light technology!

JulianP

Enlightened
I think we're all waiting for the next big thing in flashlights, and tempers are flaring. My XRE R2 with aspheric is still my furthest thrower after two years, and that's sad. My car is more fuel efficient, faster and safer. My TV is bigger and better, but my flashlights can only flood a bit more, dim with a magnetic ring...and that's about it. So, I thank the OP for giving me hope, and something to look forward to. I ended the last sentence with a preposition, conjunction or whatever, to protest against the lack of progress.

brianna

Enlightened
I'm waiting for them to invent punctuation that works.

Why do people like this feel the need to crap up a thread with stupid comments that have nothing to do with the subject being discussed?

Last edited:

Danielsan

Enlightened
The Oleds will replace yournormal lights in your house in some years. In Germany they are very far with this technology, its basically very thin glas and a special powder is vaporized on it and under electricity it will produce light. You will have thin films on your windows or your walls, like wallpapers, so your whole wall will begin to shine but i dont see it in flashlights because those oleds are very large and still a bit dimm, lets hope they can make it brighter in 10 years.

IMSabbel

Enlightened
Why do people like this feel the need to crap up a thread with stupid comments that have nothing to do with the subject being discussed?
Oh, it has something to do with the topic at hand. If the poster does not even care enough to make his post readable, the content must not be worth reading.

Also, OLED and Flashlights are almost perfectly opposed in terms of requirements and capabilities.

davyro

Enlightened
Oh, it has something to do with the topic at hand. If the poster does not even care enough to make his post readable, the content must not be worth reading.

Also, OLED and Flashlights are almost perfectly opposed in terms of requirements and capabilities.

Is it not readable? i'm sorry my grammer isn't up to some people's intellect but i write the way we speak in my region of the UK,we have a very broad accent that people, lets just say from London find very hard to understand.If your trying to ridicule me i will openly admit English was my poorest subject while in education.Feel free to ask me any questions on the ancient structures of our planet & I'm sure i could accommodate most questions(not all but most).I'm also interested in astronomy
& history but not one bit interested in English.Does that make me any less of a person or inferior in any way?I'm sorry I've went off subject here but there is just no need whatsoever to insult or try & belittle someone who is just trying to take part in my
hobby of flashlights or torches as they're known in my part of the world.Also could you explain to me why OLED's are almost perfectly opposed in terms of requirements & capabilities,I'd like to know your opinion.