Quark X AA2 question

thaeffman

Newly Enlightened
hello I have a quark xx aa2 that I purchased a couple of months ago. I haven't used it very much and as of yesterday it was still running on the batteries that came with the factory. I noticed that Turbo and max brightness were giving the same amount of light and the problem has persisted after i changed to a new set of batteries. have any of you had a similar experience and can offer me some help?

oKtosiTe

Enlightened
In all likelihood the batteries are simply not giving enough current, causing a step-down. I have some older rechargeables which exhibit the same behaviour, but on my Eneloops the Quark does just fine.
What kind of batteries are you using, and would you be willing to try with a fresh pair of alkalines?

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
With a new set of Alks you should definitely see the difference between turbo and high (turbo and max are the same?). If you can't then it's possible that the contact between the battery tube and head has some corrosion so the light does not recognize tightened bezel mode - does our light strobe with head tightened?

I'd try to clean the battery tube edge, and copper ring contact on the head with alcohol and see if that works.

thaeffman

Newly Enlightened
I had set the turbo mode after i got the light and it was working fine just a few days ago. Im still getting strobe so i don't think its the contacts either. Im in rural new brunswick atm so i don't have any decent batteries available but when i get back home its the first thing I will try.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
High power flashlights need batteries that can provide a lot of current. Alkaline batteries can do that only when they are absolutely fresh.

I suggest you get some low self discharge NiMH batteries and charger. Your local drug store should have a Duracell 2 bay charger with batteries for about C$30 before HST.
The batteries in the package are black top Made in China not the white top Made in Japan (by Eneloop) ones that are preferred on CPF. They should work well enough in flashlights though. The main difference is the self discharge rate. The black top self discharges to 60% in a year, the white top/Eneloop to 80%. Just means you have to recharge them more often.
The only place I find that the white top/Eneloop outperforms the black top is in my digital camera. The digital camera thinks the black top batteries are empty while it still have plenty of charge left. As a result I only get half as many shots with them. Flashlights, I can't tell the difference.