**NEW** Fenix TK41 updated ver. (XM-L U2, 860lm)

gopajti

Flashlight Enthusiast
I found this

http://www.fenixlight.com/viewnproduct.asp?id=117

hrls9j.png

Last edited:

utlgoa

Enlightened
Wow....... another Cree XML U2 update for 2010's must have flashlight.

If you want something new checkout the Led Lenser X7R.

It's much more than an LED with an orange peel reflector.

kj2

Flashaholic

2010?? For what I know, this light came at the market here around may 2011

kwak

Enlightened

:confused:

TK41:
860lm
4 x AA
$130

Led Lenser X7R:
500lm
Rechargeable pack
$279

So to sum up, the X7R is double the price for near on half the lumens and doesn't use AA cells.
Maybe for your next post you could compare a Porsche 911 turbo to say a pick up truck :thinking:

utlgoa

Enlightened
$279.00 is alot to to pay for a flashlight, that's why I shopped around and found the Led Lenser X7R being sold for $167.00 + free shipping.

The TK41 is now reasonably priced thanks to all the other XML Flashlights on the market. I'm not as excited about the upgraded LED as you guys because we should all remember that the Cree XML U3 is ready and waiting to be installed as soon as excitement wains regarding the U2.

Watch this video produced by Led Lenser about the features of the X7R, it's entertaining and educational:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58Z3AN7opwY

gopajti

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks ErConos, your data is correct, I will update first post

Other. X7R... Only 500 lumens with two leds and IPX-4 waterproof are "very interesting" in 2012.. but this is a TK41 U2 topic :thinking:.

Last edited:

Up All Night

Enlightened
I found this

http://www.fenixlight.com/viewnproduct.asp?id=117

TK41 T6 ....................... TK41 U2

800lm (2h10m) .............. 860lm (2h19m)
335lm (7h15m) .............. 365lm (7h43m)
108lm (27h) .................. 120lm (27h)
10lm (240h) .................. 15lm (240h)

55746cd (max. 472m) ..... 59000cd (max. 486m)

Nice find....:thumbsup: These numbers may attract new buyers but as an owner of the current TK41 the upgrade is definitely NOT worth it.

utlgoa, The tk41 has always been a sub $130 light. I paid $140 Cdn which includes a 13% tax from a retailer who normally charges a slight premium. I don't mind the premium because he operates out of a retail location and you can choose your poison from anything in stock!
As far as the throw numbers go, don't hold your breath! The only way a TK41 is hitting 480 metres is if it's fired out of an Abrams tank! (which will void your warranty):caution:

Last edited:

CyberCT

Enlightened
Woah, wait! There's a U3 bin of the XML? Where can I find information on that?

I'm disappointed that Fenix decided to bump the lowest mode from 10 lumens to 15 lumens with the same runtime. I REALLY wish they would have lowered it to something like 3 lumens and gave it a runtime of 400 hours or something insane. That's one reason I really like my PD31. The lowest low is 3 lumens which is great for a camping nightlight or lasts a long time if I need it to.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Woah, wait! There's a U3 bin of the XML? Where can I find information on that?

I'm disappointed that Fenix decided to bump the lowest mode from 10 lumens to 15 lumens with the same runtime. I REALLY wish they would have lowered it to something like 3 lumens and gave it a runtime of 400 hours or something insane. That's one reason I really like my PD31. The lowest low is 3 lumens which is great for a camping nightlight or lasts a long time if I need it to.

It is possible the low mode is current controlled and a more efficient emitter has both more output at lower power levels and a lower vf also meaning the current to both emitters is the same as they didn't change the electronics of the light only the emitter.

CyberCT

Enlightened
It is possible the low mode is current controlled and a more efficient emitter has both more output at lower power levels and a lower vf also meaning the current to both emitters is the same as they didn't change the electronics of the light only the emitter.

Ah, so they only changed the LED, and not the driver at all during this light upgrade. Gotchya. Shame though.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Ah, so they only changed the LED, and not the driver at all during this light upgrade. Gotchya. Shame though.
I think that is what happened.... most likely the 10 -15 lumen bit may not be exactly that much they could be fudging the numbers to have nicer looking ones so instead of it being 11 before and 13.5 now then rounded down to 10 and up to 15.

SDM44

Newly Enlightened
Kind of makes me want to get rid of my my 10 month old TK41 that I never use for cheap, and then pick up the new TK41 XM-L U2 for a few bucks more.... seriously :p

CyberCT

Enlightened
There's supposedly a newer XML on the near horizon. I would wait for that release and upgraded light from Fenix instead of this short incremental change, especially if you never use it. That's what I'm probably going to do, but in the TK35 trim. ;) You probably wouldn't notice a difference between the T6 and U2 in the TK41 anyway.

royjohnson77

Newly Enlightened
For these who still have the previous versions of the Fenix TK35 or TK41, I would not get rid of them and then buy the up-dated version.
Seems like Fenix is playing the lumens game and some comsumers are felling for it.
I noticed that the previous versions of the TK35 and TK41 are advertised as using the latest version of XM-L Cree, but did not specified if it is even a T6 XM-L Cree.
Now months later , both models are up-graded to U2 XM-L Cree. How do they get the ANSI lumen rating in the first place, if the type of XM-L Cree LED is not specified.

If I was to buy the up-graded model now, how do I know if I am getting the up-graded model version? Do Fenix label the bezel head of the flashlight that you are getting the XM-L U2 version?

My guess is that the only thing change is the up-dated packaging and the emitter did not change at all.