Lost my Nitecore Extreme

Xtremespeed

Newly Enlightened
It was a bad day all around. The Extreme Infinity was one of my all time favorite edc's. I know they were discontinued, and I have found 1 or 2 places that still have one in stock, but thought I might try something different since I've already owned that one and so many lights have come out since then. Are there any lights out there as small or smaller that use a single rcr123 and have at least as good a throw as my Extreme Infinity had? I would prefer also not to go aspheric. I look forward to your suggestions.

allyourblood

Newly Enlightened
I don't have any suggestions, but I wanted to say sorry for your loss. Maybe it'll turn up yet!

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore Explorer EC1
RCR123 , 400 lumens , 6400 lux

7459395588_8d2725ac10_b.jpg

Xtremespeed

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the condolences. Unfortunately there's no chance of finding it. I was on a camping trip, riding in the Ozark National Forest when it apparently got dropped.

Ti²C

Newly Enlightened
one of the issues on these extremes was the self-unscrewing clip screws :duh2: maybe you lost yours this way...
even if there are now better lights, it's still one of my favorite !

my actual nex alternative setup : quark turbo with 1*123 tube

p1010282yx.jpg

Xtremespeed

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, I paid close attention to those screws, but it's definitely possible they came loose.

I like the looks of the Quark but don't know a lot about them. The throw and size are what impressed me most about my Nitecore. I hope to find something as good or better to replace it. The Ec1 looks promising but the issues in the big thread about them have me a little leery about getting one.

fyrstormer

Banned
You'll never find a perfectly-safe light. They all have possible modes of failure/disappointment. Eventually you just have to try one.

My default recommendation these days is the Jetbeam RRT-0. Clicky + control ring. Optional bolt-on clip. Crap-ton brighter than the NEX. If you haven't had the opportunity to try a control-ring light, now's a good time.

Xtremespeed

Newly Enlightened
Interesting option. It seems I remember the rrt-0 having more lumens but not as much throw. Maybe I'm confusing it with another light. Can't remember for sure. I do remember they were quite pricey, at least when I considered them before.

Phil Ament

Enlightened
Yeah, I paid close attention to those screws, but it's definitely possible they came loose.

I like the looks of the Quark but don't know a lot about them. The throw and size are what impressed me most about my Nitecore. I hope to find something as good or better to replace it. The Ec1 looks promising but the issues in the big thread about them have me a little leery about getting one.

Hi there Xtremespeed

When I first saw that someone had recommended that you try one of the new Nitecore EC1's I was originally going to post with a friendly warning and also a link to that other Explorer Series thread, however whilst I was right in the middle of doing so I noticed that in your recent post that you had mentioned that you had already read it, and so I stopped. I too had also been considering purchasing a JETBeam RRT-0 as well, however I am now going to hold off until I have found out exactly what Sysmax Industries are going to be doing about replacing my two new faulty EC1's first. I will also add that the EC1's are a truly wonderful little light (or more accurately they have the potential to be), that is of course if Nitecore/Sysmax Industries can sort out all of the Explorer Series apparent problems first.

fyrstormer

Banned
I too had also been considering purchasing a JETBeam RRT-0 as well, however I am now going to hold off until I have found out exactly what Sysmax Industries are going to be doing about replacing my two new faulty EC1's first.
Unlike the Nitecore Explorers, the RRT-0 has been around for a few years now. It's gotten all the bugs worked out already. Just something to consider.

Last edited:

fyrstormer

Banned
Interesting option. It seems I remember the rrt-0 having more lumens but not as much throw. Maybe I'm confusing it with another light. Can't remember for sure. I do remember they were quite pricey, at least when I considered them before.
BatteryJunction still has some Nitecore IFE1s in stock. It's basically a factory twin of the RRT-0 with a body shape more like the NEX. It's available with textured and smooth reflectors, and it uses an XP-G R5 emitter instead of an XM-L emitter. Those combined should put it more in the "thrower" category than the RRT-0, though the RRT-0 is a fine light regardless.

Last edited:

Phil Ament

Enlightened
Unlike the Nitecore Explorers, the RRT-0 has been around for a few years now. It's gotten all the bugs worked out already. Just something to consider.

Hi there fyrstormer

Thanks for your reply and also for your very helpful information, and I will have to take you up on your suggestion (even though that it was actually given to another person, and not I) and go and have a look at the Nitecore IFE1's, either as an alternative to a RRT-0 or maybe as an addition to one. When I had said that I was going to hold off on the RRT-0 I wasn't actually referring to the fact that I may or may not trust this particular model, but it was more about the fact that I would most probably rather not give any more of my hard earned money to Nitecore/JETBeam/Sysmax Industries if I had felt that they had not rectified my current EC1 situation to my complete and utter satisfaction, especially as it is not the first time that I have previously encountered problems with various different Nitecore/JETBeam/Sysmax Industries lights that I have owned!

Xtremespeed

Newly Enlightened
I appreciate the info and suggestions as well. I'm also really interested to see what happens with the Ec1's. I may have to buy another NEX to fill the void until they get something worked out. Something gives me the idea that with all the QC issues, it may be quite a while before it's worth taking a chance on one. I know they'll never be perfect but it seems right now that more people are having issues than not.

Hondo

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you don't mind spending a few more $$, Battery Station now has the HDS 120 Clickies in stock for 99 bucks, with 4 spare CR123's. I ordered the flush button, bright bezel version late Wednesday afternoon, received it today. They use the Osram Golden Dragon emitter, which is the throwiest beam of any he has used. If you have never owned an HDS, this is a good chance to experience one.