Why no more hype for malkoff xml m@g drop in?

BirdofPrey

Enlightened
This would have been the light I held out so long for before giving up and ordering the original.

Using one of my 3 D hosts, I dont see how this couldn't be all out fantastic.

Is there something I'm missing? Something that makes this light less desirable than I imagine?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
for me, 2 reasons:

* size and weight of the light itself
* single level

--> multimode 1*18650 ... thats it
(and multimode 1*14500 for EDC)

wrf

Newly Enlightened
[...]Something that makes this light less desirable than I imagine?[...]

Full output requires NiMH. How many folks here have C/D NiMH batteries and a charger for them close by?

AA NiMH and chargers => common and easy to get (if you don't have them already!)
C/D... not so readily, and quality can be elusive

hook63

Newly Enlightened
I got one about a month ago I think its great. I did buy some nimh's and a charger to go with it. Run time should be around 3 hours so that's a plus.

utlgoa

Enlightened
Maybe because the Coast HP17 Flashlight sells for $85.00 with free shipping.

Tested and rated to ANSI/FL1 standards by an independent laboratory. ANSI FL1 flashlight standards explained.

• Light output: High - 615 lumens; Low - 64 lumens
  • [SIZE=-1]Runtime: High - 15 hours 15 minutes; Low - 51 hours 15 minutes[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]Beam distance: High - 269 meters (882 ft); Low - 47 meters (154 ft)[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]3 X D batteries (included)[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]Cyclone™ Heat Sink System[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]Aluminum casing; Front switch[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]High, strobe, and low output modes[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]Impact and water resistant[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]1.95 lbs (including batteries); 13.12 inch length[/SIZE]
  • [SIZE=-1]Diameter: Body - 1.53 inches; Bezel - 2.12 inches[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
As much as I like Genes P60 drop ins (I always have a 6P-M60-18650 stowed in my pack as backup), I've never been a fan of his mag mods. I have always found more affordable/compact ways to get similar (or close enough) OTF Lumens.
I'm somewhat biased against the 3D-4D formats though, they're just so big and theres a weight penalty too. NiMH D cells are VERY heavy, pack carrying them + loose backup cells can be an ordeal.

Last edited:

ARA

Enlightened
I got one recently, it beats the pants of my M6LT in throw although the older 3-6D XPG dropin which i'm running in a 2D off two 18650 batteries throws even further. I would have preferred if the XML had a higher voltage like the 3-6D XPG dropin. I wouldnt mind a little less runtime if i could run it off two 18650 batteries in a 2D.

BirdofPrey

Enlightened
I have a lot of smaller and bright lights. Yet I find myself using my Malkoff nearly every night at least once.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt via Tapatalk 2.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really wanted one of the XM-L drop ins, but the cost ($69 plus $35 shipping to Australia) just put it beyond what I'm willing to pay. I already have both the TK60 and TK41, so I don't know what this could offer that I don't already have.

Shurefire

Newly Enlightened
I got one recently, it beats the pants of my M6LT in throw although the older 3-6D XPG dropin which i'm running in a 2D off two 18650 batteries throws even further. I would have preferred if the XML had a higher voltage like the 3-6D XPG dropin. I wouldnt mind a little less runtime if i could run it off two 18650 batteries in a 2D.

If this is really the case, I would rather have the mag w/malkoff. I find it hard to believe the M6LT is outclassed by the mag that easily, but I have been wrong before. I guess I will be ordering 2 mag drop ins, as I can't afford an M6LT.

As for daily use, the mag is huge compared to my g2x/6p line of lights. Even my L7 is dwarfed by my 2d mags. I can't imaging spending a 9-10 hour shift carrying around that beast. If it really throws that well, I may get one and leave it in my patrol car though.

ARA

Enlightened
@Shurefire, I would definitely recommend getting the Malkoffs. I find the Malkoff's tradeoff between throw and spill perfect compared to the M6LT which just has throw and that too is a struggle compared to the Malkoff. YMMV

For the record i have quite a few Surefires and Malkoff dropins i find the quality and reliability of Surefires and Malkoffs exceptionally brilliant compared to the chinese offerings.

Cheers

BirdofPrey

Enlightened
Regardless of what other light or lights I have with me, I always have my Malkoff either in the car or on my Maxpedition attache bag. I hate the coloring on my mag but it was a freebie and as a bonus, it's drawn attention enough to start some interesting conversations with several people when out and about.

BirdofPrey

Enlightened
On a road trip right now. Stopped at a road side stand so stepped out to take a picture.

aee78947-f780-656a.jpg

FPSRelic

Enlightened
If this is really the case, I would rather have the mag w/malkoff. I find it hard to believe the M6LT is outclassed by the mag that easily, but I have been wrong before. I guess I will be ordering 2 mag drop ins, as I can't afford an M6LT.

As for daily use, the mag is huge compared to my g2x/6p line of lights. Even my L7 is dwarfed by my 2d mags. I can't imaging spending a 9-10 hour shift carrying around that beast. If it really throws that well, I may get one and leave it in my patrol car though.

I can't vouch for the M6LT, but I can say that both the XPG and the XML drop in out throws my UB3T Invictus in a 3 cell maglite.

Personally out of the two I prefer the XPG. It has a much better runtime than the XML, and runs well on standard alkaline batteries. There is a post here that talks about the newer MagLED being almost as good as the Malkoff XPG dropin for runtime and throw:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?336403-New-Mag-LED-vs-Malkoff

Never seen a new Mag myself to compare it to though.

ARA

Enlightened
I can't vouch for the M6LT, but I can say that both the XPG and the XML drop in out throws my UB3T Invictus in a 3 cell maglite.

Personally out of the two I prefer the XPG. It has a much better runtime than the XML, and runs well on standard alkaline batteries. There is a post here that talks about the newer MagLED being almost as good as the Malkoff XPG dropin for runtime and throw:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?336403-New-Mag-LED-vs-Malkoff

Never seen a new Mag myself to compare it to though.

Yes the XPG is also my preferred dropin though i am running it on two 18650s in a 2D, gives me around 2 hours of high brightness followed by a long tapered output. It also out throws the XML Dropin

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
On a road trip right now. Stopped at a road side stand so stepped out to take a picture.

Nice, all I have is a boring black one.

I don't know why there isn't more hype for the XML drop-in but I'm glad I was able get my hands on one unlike the XPG drop-in which I waited for ages before I was quick enough to get one.

BirdofPrey

Enlightened
Nice, all I have is a boring black one.

I don't know why there isn't more hype for the XML drop-in but I'm glad I was able get my hands on one unlike the XPG drop-in which I waited for ages before I was quick enough to get one.

I don't remember how old that light is but I know my parents had it before I had my driver's license. They had two. They gave me both, I modded both, kept one, and gave them the other.

Now I'm thinking about ordering one of these to use in place of my Eagletac M3C4 P7.

Could you explain the differences and similarities between the two drop-ins?

I like the beam characteristics of the XPG, its just not quite bright enough.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

tjhabak

Enlightened
I hear what you guys are saying about the D size NiMH cells. I got a set of half-decent 2xAA to D adaptors on EBay. The set-up works well with 6 Eneloops. It makes the 3D body pretty light too. I appreciate all the nice compact lights out there as well, but I still have a place for the 3D Mag in my heart. I'm not a throw junkie, so I prefer the XM-L drop-in, but I have several XP-G's too that give a good beam when used with an orange-peeled reflector.