NITECORE -- Keep Innovating        
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Malkoff M61LLL 219

Enlightened

Default Malkoff M61LLL 219

I just ordered one of these drop ins from illumination supply. It has the Nichia NVSL219AT-H1 LED. I was wondering if anyone has any feedback on this unit?

Default Re: Malkoff M61LLL 219

Well, not the LLL, but I have the M61 and M61L 219's. So you will just have a lower brightness and much longer run time.

If this is your first Nichia 219, you are in for a treat. Very nice. Colors look like they should, the color temperature of the beam is near sunlight, although a little warmer, but not like the orange tinted warm Cree high CRI's.

The beam is VERY floody in these. It has a hotspot, but it is huge. It's just dynamite for close work and walking. Since you are not likely to be getting an LLL for max. throw, this should be a good thing.

You will get a little dark ring just before the end of the spill, where it does not get noticed. Just a weird product of the 219 in the McGizmo reflector, not to worry, no other artifacts or irregularities. Enjoy!

I have m61 LLL , nice beam and workmanship as to be expected from anything Malkoff
    The LLL is like a ican with 1/2 dead batts a yellowish gold tint easy on the eyes good for close work (the glare don't blind you)
    I have one set up in a 2s2p cr123a host for a long running 10 year shelf life emg light

I have the M61LLL 219. It's a Malkoff! I generally keep it in a G2 with a 17670 and it's my go to light around the house. Interesting, I just did a run time test for someone in another thread and found that the module will put out usable light for over 24 hours on two AA Eneloops.

Anyone know the runtime on 2 cr123 primaries?

Based on emails back and forth with Craig, I was told that the runtimes of the 219 versions should be the same as the corresponding M61. So apparently the 219 drop ins are using the same drivers as the standard Cree drop ins so the only specs that should be different are output and color.

The 219 is really nice... I went ahead and got the M61L 219 and really like it, just makes for a nice 'utility' light and none of the 'angry blue' color or colors that end up missing altogether with some older LED lights.
    Last edited by N8N; 07-08-2013 at 06:04 AM.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by Espionage Studio View Post
    Anyone know the runtime on 2 cr123 primaries?
    Instead of going off advertised numbers why not just measure the current draw and figure the run time based off your battery? Or even better actually do a runtime test with your exact setup?
    Coming soon: Killer light reviews by Cereal_Killer - foursevens burst mode lights. |my lights|

I have two Z2s, and one has an M61NLLL and the other has an M61LLL 219. Both really great lights with a whole lot of runtime. The 219 is really nice indoors because it is a little more floody. I think you will be happy with it!

I have been debating getting an M61NLLLL. How low should I go?

I'm a real big fan of the LLL's and the LLLL's. I have a M61NLLL, a M61NLLLL, and of course a M61LLL 219. I remember back over a year ago I done a runtime test on a M61WLLL with an AW 18650 and got 29 and 1/2 hrs. before it started dimming. I got tired of watching it so I turned it off. My overall view is that the M61LLL 219 will probably give you the same results, it's well worth having.

fresh eddie fresh:
    I would recommened you getting the M61NLLLL, you'll be surprised on how bright it is. I keep mine in a G2 running on a 17670, and it gets used a lot. One thing is when Gene stops making them for Dan we may never see another run of them. I believe you know I'm a big Malkoff nut, so pick you one up.
    Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. Psalm 119:105

After reading so many posts about the Malkoff M61s, I bought Oveready's last M61LLL Warm. When I first turned it on, I seriously thought "how the heck did I get an incan in there?" It's nearly indistinguishable from a P60 incan. I moved it from a G2 to a 6P Gun Metal, and then added a Zeno bezel and a Titanium lanyard ring. Nice to know it does have the run time I wanted.
    Be a Light In the Universe

Quote Originally Posted by Glock 22 View Post
    fresh eddie fresh: I would recommened you getting the M61NLLLL, you'll be surprised on how bright it is. I keep mine in a G2 running on a 17670, and it gets used a lot. One thing is when Gene stops making them for Dan we may never see another run of them. I believe you know I'm a big Malkoff nut, so pick you one up.
    I think one of those is definitely in my future... maybe not this month because I just bought a camo MD2 and a bunch of other stuff, but soon. Heck, I am down to only 17 Malkoff drop-ins... I need to replenish!!!

Though not close to being the brightest light I have, the 219LLL is becoming one of my go to lights. It kicks out plenty of light in the dark and I'm still on the original set of batteries. I'm too cheap to do a runtime test, as fun as it would be to throw a fresh set of primaries in there and just let er cook until it dies... I just can't bring myself to do it! I'm unsure of how to test at the tailcap? I think this will be my camping light for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Espionage Studio View Post
    Though not close to being the brightest light I have, the 219LLL is becoming one of my go to lights. It kicks out plenty of light in the dark and I'm still on the original set of batteries. I'm too cheap to do a runtime test, as fun as it would be to throw a fresh set of primaries in there and just let er cook until it dies... I just can't bring myself to do it! I'm unsure of how to test at the tailcap? I think this will be my camping light for a long time.
    I'll be your huckleberry. Two fresh primaries in an MD2 with a 219LLL - turn-on time 6pm CST, Aug. 13.
    Last edited by Tracker II; 08-13-2013 at 03:43 PM.

yall have me seriously wanting to go lower than my M61L 219 now lol

Quote Originally Posted by CMAG View Post
    I have one set up in a 2s2p cr123a host for a long running 10 year shelf life emg light
    that's an awesome idea. what host specifically?
    aka Edgar Allan Bro, Brosama Bin Liftin, Walter Crunkite, Bro Namath, Teddy Brosevelt, and the Tomahawk Crunkmissile.
    my lights - review of PrecisionWorks - that's Gucci Mane in my avatar

Report #1 - 12 hours in and the 219LLL appears as bright as ever. If there is any loss of light, it is minimal.

FWIW, I have a M61L 219 and it is my favorite/most used light. Great runtime, good brightness, and great color rendition. I need to pick up a LL or LLL for my G2 as an emergency/power outage light...

Quote Originally Posted by cland72 View Post
    FWIW, I have a M61L 219 and it is my favorite/most used light. Great runtime, good brightness, and great color rendition. I need to pick up a LL or LLL for my G2 as an emergency/power outage light...
    same here on the single-L. I have one in a G2Z. phenomenal.
    aka Edgar Allan Bro, Brosama Bin Liftin, Walter Crunkite, Bro Namath, Teddy Brosevelt, and the Tomahawk Crunkmissile.
    my lights - review of PrecisionWorks - that's Gucci Mane in my avatar

Pretty awesome on doing a run time test thanks. I every now or then do them myself, just for fun. I have this some module, and am excited to see how long it will go. I got 29 and 1/2 hrs on a M61WLLL on an 18650 3100 mAh, full output before it started dimming, that was pretty awesome. Malkoffs are the best in my book. So my guess will be Aug 15th at 9 a.m Let see who can get it it right. I mysef like the L modes and have quite a few of them including the M61NLLLL I'd say it would go for days.
    Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. Psalm 119:105

Thanks for the heads up Glock. I will give a 6pm report (24 hr) report this evening and a 6am (36 hr) report tomorrow morning. After that I will check it every hour although I won't report anything until I see dimming, or hit another 12 hr mark - whichever comes first.

I see a lot of M61L 219 talk going on here. My favorite light also until the M361N-LMH came out. For me, the extra 4 levels (I always use H/L rings) slightly outweighed the increased color rendering of the 219. Please Gene, come out with an M361-LMH 219 so I can say that my wildest dreams have indeed come true!

Yeah, a M361 LMH 219 would get my money in a heartbeat too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracker II View Post
    Thanks for the heads up Glock. I will give a 6pm report (24 hr) report this evening and a 6am (36 hr) report tomorrow morning. After that I will check it every hour although I won't report anything until I see dimming, or hit another 12 hr mark - whichever comes first.

I see a lot of M61L 219 talk going on here. My favorite light also until the M361N-LMH came out. For me, the extra 4 levels (I always use H/L rings) slightly outweighed the increased color rendering of the 219. Please Gene, come out with an M361-LMH 219 so I can say that my wildest dreams have indeed come true!

Report #2 - 24 hours in. The M61LLL 219 has clearly fallen out of regulation but is still relatively bright. I might add that I'm using Energizer primaries. I've never done anything like this before so I'm really curious as to how much more drop-off there is before bedtime. Off to dinner now.

Report #3 - 36 hours in. The M61LLL 219 has had a significant drop in output. I'm not a lumen expert so the only thing I can say is that, while tailstanding, it provides enough output to allow a person to "take care of business" while in an interior bathroom with no ambient light. You could very easily navigate your house in the dark with it also. That being said, the output is significantly lower than the lowest level of my M361N-LMH while on the L of the H/L ring (using an 18650 battery).

Flashaholic

Report #3 - 36 hours in. The M61LLL 219 has had a significant drop in output. I'm not a lumen expert so the only thing I can say is that, while tailstanding, it provides enough output to allow a person to "take care of business" while in an interior bathroom with no ambient light. You could very easily navigate your house in the dark with it also. That being said, the output is significantly lower than the lowest level of my M361N-LMH while on the L of the H/L ring (using an 18650 battery).
    This is with 2 CR123A primaries? I know you said Energizers, but I wasn't sure if we were talking AAs or CR123As.

Yah, 2 CR123A Energizer primaries. Unfortunately, I did not test them before putting them in. They were purchased from BatteryJunction about 4 months ago.

Flashaholic*

Here I posted my runtime test of M61LLL 219.

Quote Originally Posted by Swedpat View Post
    Here I posted my runtime test of M61LLL 219.
    Hey Swedpat, where were you a day and a half ago, ha ha. Anyway, the light pretty much crapped out after 39 hours. The emitter was still glowing but not enough to be of any use. Even though I seem to have reinvented the wheel, I'm glad I went through this exercise because doing the experiment gave me a better feel for how this light performs more than reading about it ever could.

I think my next test will be on the M361-HML but that is a topic for another thread.

Flashaholic*

Hey Swedpat, where were you a day and a half ago, ha ha. Anyway, the light pretty much crapped out after 39 hours. The emitter was still glowing but not enough to be of any use. Even though I seem to have reinvented the wheel, I'm glad I went through this exercise because doing the experiment gave me a better feel for how this light performs more than reading about it ever could.

I think my next test will be on the M361-HML but that is a topic for another thread.
    Hi Tracker II!

I stopped my test when the brightness was maybe 2-3lm or so, nice you continued even longer time. This shows that also these Malkoffs are "battery vampires" and makes it possible to use the light with practically dead batteries.
    With dark adapted eyes even a fraction of a lumen shines up an entire room, which can be valuable in some case of emergency. I have two lights with a lowest setting of 0,2lm(4Sevens Quark 123 and 2AA) but actually would like to have some light with much lower brightness than that.

I am looking forward to your test of M361-HML, actually later I am planning to get M361N-LMH.
    Last edited by Swedpat; 08-15-2013 at 11:58 AM.

*Flashaholic*

Necro bump,

M61 LLL 219 is one of my favorites, long runtime. Not sure what to think about the tint, it's better than blue but not as good as "warm". I think I like regular tints better and you get a few more lumens.

the light for the end of the world. Put in a 2x18650 body or 3xAA even and it will run forever.
    ****** Malkoff Devices ****** “Learn to light a candle in the darkest moments of someone’s life. Be the light that helps others see; it is what gives life its deepest significance.” ― Roy T. Bennett, The Light in the Heart

I have one of these beauties in the mail to me as we speak. No clue what I’m going to put it in but can’t wait to see what kind of runtime I get.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Flashaholic

The 219LLL is one of my favorites, great output level! Perfect "it's totally dark" light, particularly good with a H/L switch. Can't wait for my second. I need an MD2 body or two for these. 6 Dropins and no bodies to go with.... yikes!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast