• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired F/S: 300 Watt LOCATOR HID - FREE Power Supply, Bulbs! Helicopter Searchlight

BVH

Flashaholic
Ended: 300 Watt LOCATOR HID - , Bulbs! Helicopter Searchlight

Sale ended. I wouldn't be selling this rare light if it was my only one. But I've been hoarding 3 for a few years and it's time to let one go. (check out the video link at the end of this post to see it in action)

Loc129FrontViewSpareBulbs.jpg

This light produces amazing amounts of Lumens and throws them way, way downfield. Click below for beamshot comparisons with many known "high power" HIDs. There is no competition! Think of this as 6-8 Polarion PH50s concentrated into one beam plus more throw because of the larger, 5 ½" reflector. It's probably in the neighborhood of 30,000 Lumens

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?198645-SHOOT-OUT-IV&highlight=shootout

(Note: At the time of the shootout, the light had one of the remaining original bulbs which ran at 5500K. The replacement bulbs run at 3300K according to the printing on them but to my eye, it looks closer to between 3900K and 4200K because of the sheer amount of light they put out) (Click below to see newer beam shots with the 3300K bulb)

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?313009-Medium-Iron-Beam-Shots&highlight=medium

This is really an incredible HID light package and no beamshot pics can really show you what it does as compared to seeing it in-person. I had both the VSS-1 and VSS-3a tank lights and this light puts them to shame – as far as flooding a field up to a distance of 900 Yards with humongous amounts of light. But it does not throw a pencil beam for miles as do the tank lights so no comparison there, tank lights win hands down.

All Locators were originally fitted with custom based G.E. Marc 300 EZ Series, 300 Watt projector bulbs by the manufacturer, Optical Radiation Corporation. Try as I have for many years, I cannot find any more of them. So with Modamags' help, I've installed new Anode and Cathode base adapters that accommodate the G.E. Marc 300 EZS 300 Watt bulb. This bulb is also out of production but you can pick them up new on Ebay and other non-Ebay sites for between $40 and $80 apiece. The Direct Current (DC) bulbs have a rated life of 25 hours and there is a caution note in the "manual" that comes in the bulb package to never run them less than 3 minutes. I just installed the bulb in this light and am including 3 additional brand new bulbs in their original boxes.

I modified my original light with a mounting plate that accommodates an On-Off switch and a 2-Dimentional joy stick for elevation and Right/Left movement – as this light will turn near 300 degrees and elevate from just below level to a little more than vertical. As you can see in the pics, the light is equipped with a cooling fan that circulates the captive air within the glass dome. This is to prevent hotspots in the chamber. As with all 3 of my lights, the cooling fan comes on after about a minute or so and runs continuously. I have to qualify "continuously" though. The fan on all 3 lights starts and runs for a bit, then slows down, occasionally stops for a second the runs again. Repeat, repeat, repeat. It doesn't seem to matter though as I had two of them running for over an hour one Halloween night. (I was off the beaten path and it drew a ton of lookers)

Power requirements are 25 to 28.5 Volts and about 16 Amps. Click below to see the optional portable power supply I made to run them and my other 28 Volt lights.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...table-Power-Supply-for-the-Locator&highlight=

Two 12 Volt automotive batteries in Series runs the light just fine. The 5.5" reflector is Rhodium plated and is in great shape. No scratches or defects. However, it has been cleaned during its' service life so in the right light, you can see "spider webs" as you do on a black automotive paint job. Overall, the light is in very good condition. It weighs about 20 pounds.

I will provide a wiring diagram to wire an On-Off switch and Right/Left/Up/Down functions and any other assistance you might want.

You can own this special gem for less than the cost of a Polarion - $1,499 insured and shipped to your door (lower 48 states). First "I'll take it" post gets it with follow up PM to discuss payment. I prefer a Postal Money Order for payment.

If you want the portable 28 Volt Power Supply I made, a very small, light weight 15 AH supply, I can provide it for an additional $300. It will run the Locator for about 30 - 40 minutes, my best guess. NOW INCLUDED - FREE!

If you want an additional 3 new bulbs, I will include them, for a total of 6 for an additional $150.00. NOW INCLUDED - FREE!

Copy of Optical Radiation Corp OEM operation, maintenance and trouble shooting manual included FREE!

$1499 for complete, turnkey package!

530 Yards
Locatorxtra1.jpg

Loc129BackView.jpg

Loc129FrontViewDomeOff.jpg

Loc129domeofffront.jpg

Video of the Locator in action (Thanks Craig!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux-K8JdUrts

Last edited:

grayhighh

Enlightened
Re: F/S: AGAIN - 300 Watt LOCATOR HID Helicopter Searchlight - RARE

Man, i wish im in the US so i can take this light home. :)

Good luck with the sale.

Phil Ament

Enlightened

Wish I was a little closer so that this could be permanently "locatored" at my house! What an absolutely wonderful light! Colonel Sanders, where are you? Are you receiving?

Phil Ament

Enlightened

Can't stop thinking about this amazing light. I bet you that all of my neighbours would just really love it if I was to purchase it! Maybe I should go and ask them if they would be prepared to chip in!

P.S. Oh, and by the way :bump:

Colonel Sanders

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's alot of light for sure but I can't imagine what in the world I would do with it....kinda awkward on the form factor for my tastes!

Hmmm....maybe strap it down to the top of my Polaris Ranger?...nah, it'd probably set a tree on fire or something.

BVH

Flashaholic

OK, sweetening the deal to get one of these beauties out into someone elses hands. I'll throw in the 28V/15 Amp BVH-made power supply and the 3 additional bulbs (total of 6) for the $1499, shipped to your USA door price!

BVH

Flashaholic

Holy Cow! I just learned that the Locator is NOT regulated! After all these years. I picked up an old Lorraine Flowtrol 29V/100 Amp rectifier from Modamag today for powering up the VSS-3a with full power. Got it cleaned out, temp wired to 240V and adjusted for 28.0 Volts output. I hooked up the Locator to try it out (after powering up a tiny 24V computer fan as a test). The Locator started and warmed up faster than I had experienced since I owned it. I then decided to experiment with the Voltage output of the Lorraine. I got my light meter setup for ceiling bounce, shut off the garage lights and fired up the Locator. After 3 minutes I had a reading of 246 Lux. I then cranked down the Voltage to 26 and I could easily see a great drop in light produced. I looked at the meter and it read 145 Lux. So a measly 2 Volts reduction dropped output by 40%! That means all my comparison photos are probably about 15 to 25% under what the Locator will do. Not 40% because my Lithium portable supply was powering it at about 27 Volts for the pic above. So just image the shot about 20% brighter! Power consumption went from about 13.5 Amps at 26V to 16.5 Amps at 27.9.

Ceya!

Newly Enlightened

I wish that I could get this light, i would have so much fun at night.

S/F,
CEYA!

BVH

Flashaholic

Now included in the price: A copy of the Optical Radiation Corp's original factory manual for the searchlight. It's a very detailed Operation, Maintenance and Trouble shooting with many fold-out electrical schematics on every system in the light.