Fenix light development/production life cycle?

Smood

Newly Enlightened
How long do you think Fenix will keep producing the TK70? I'm very impressed with it and want to get one but won't be getting it until maybe a few months. I'm sure it will still be made then but in case I delay my purchase further how long do you think Fenix will keep the light in production? I know if it goes out of production something better might come a long but I really like its massive size and intimidation factor and I wouldn't feel right with a similarly powered light that was smaller (a potential successor I guess).

Thanks. :)

kj2

Flashaholic
Think, normally, a light will be produced for one year, of course- if it's successful or not. Hope that Fenix comes with a light, sized like the TK70, but just with one led. Something like the Olight SR95UT.

Smood

Newly Enlightened
How do you like your UT compared to the TK70? I feel the nice thing about TK70 is its 'flood throw' type beam. Its a good mix of both, but perhaps a slightly more focused version of the TK70 would be nice.

And if what you say is true, then TK70 should be coming close to the end of its cycle since it was released about 1 year ago right?

kj2

Flashaholic
How do you like your UT compared to the TK70? I feel the nice thing about TK70 is its 'flood throw' type beam. Its a good mix of both, but perhaps a slightly more focused version of the TK70 would be nice.

And if what you say is true, then TK70 should be coming close to the end of its cycle since it was released about 1 year ago right?
For general use, I like the TK70 more. The floody mixed with throw is perfect. Also, due the aggressive knurling on the UT, it's not that comfort to have in your hands for a long time. Do like the switch of the UT more than the TK70.
It's way bigger and easier to find/feel in the dark. The UT is a must-have if I want the max throw. But for the rest, you should go for the TK70. Lot of people don't like the TK70 because it needs 4* good quality D-batteries. Yes, those batteries cost a lot, but it gives you so much power.
The packaging of the SR95(UT) beats the TK70. Nice and beautiful carrying-case is handy for transport. IMO Fenix should do this also with there big lights.

Think indeed, that Fenix will make the TK70 till the end of this year. Maybe they will come with a upgrade, by using a U2 xm-l led. But am hoping that they just come with a total new version of the TK70. I like the battery-pack on the SR95(UT), so for me, I hope that Fenix comes with a battery-pack for there next big light. But they must include a nice metal box just like Olight does.

Last edited:

Smood

Newly Enlightened
For general use, I like the TK70 more. The floody mixed with throw is perfect. Also, due the aggressive knurling on the UT, it's not that comfort to have in your hands for a long time. Do like the switch of the UT more than the TK70.
It's way bigger and easier to find/feel in the dark. The UT is a must-have if I want the max throw. But for the rest, you should go for the TK70. Lot of people don't like the TK70 because it needs 4* good quality D-batteries. Yes, those batteries cost a lot, but it gives you so much power.
The packaging of the SR95(UT) beats the TK70. Nice and beautiful carrying-case is handy for transport. IMO Fenix should do this also with there big lights.

Think indeed, that Fenix will make the TK70 till the end of this year. Maybe they will come with a upgrade, by using a U2 xm-l led. But am hoping that they just come with a total new version of the TK70. I like the battery-pack on the SR95(UT), so for me, I hope that Fenix comes with a battery-pack for there next big light. But they must include a nice metal box just like Olight does.

Ya I know what you mean by general purpose and floody throw.

As for the batteries, I actually prefer D cells because of the option of getting more D's for a spare which would be quite a bit cheaper than buying a whole separate battery pack for the UT.

In terms of the packaging, you definitely are getting something very nice with the SR series but you are also paying for it, the UT is at least $100-$150 more than the TK70 even if you factor in batteries and charger for the TK70. For that money you can probably easily get a custom aluminum brief case for the TK70.. or spend $30 and get that flute case that many people use off amazon.

I emailed Fenix and they said they have no plans to stop production on the TK70 anytime soon, they mentioned how they are very happy with it and that its relatively new.

tickled

Newly Enlightened
Think, normally, a light will be produced for one year, of course- if it's successful or not. Hope that Fenix comes with a light, sized like the TK70, but just with one led. Something like the Olight SR95UT.
You mean like the TK60 which has been out for quite some time?

Smood

Newly Enlightened
You mean like the TK60 which has been out for quite some time?

I think he meant a 1 LED light that has the power of a TK70... the TK60 cannot compete with higher powered throwers like the SR90 or 95UT. But then again, its also like $200-300 cheaper. :)

kj2

Flashaholic
Ya I know what you mean by general purpose and floody throw.

As for the batteries, I actually prefer D cells because of the option of getting more D's for a spare which would be quite a bit cheaper than buying a whole separate battery pack for the UT.

In terms of the packaging, you definitely are getting something very nice with the SR series but you are also paying for it, the UT is at least $100-$150 more than the TK70 even if you factor in batteries and charger for the TK70. For that money you can probably easily get a custom aluminum brief case for the TK70.. or spend $30 and get that flute case that many people use off amazon.

I emailed Fenix and they said they have no plans to stop production on the TK70 anytime soon, they mentioned how they are very happy with it and that its relatively new.

Yes, a battery-pack is more expensive, a more expensive if you have to buy a new one. But charging the UT is very easy. I like that better then charging 4 batteries in my charger.
Olight is indeed more expensive then Fenix. If you get that back in quality, no, both Fenix and Olight are great. The SR-series are a bit over-priced. But as consumer I always want more for less ;)
Having the UT is, IMO, also more for fun- than that I actually going to use it. It's more a light, to show off when I'm with my friends :naughty:
My TK70 sits now, comfortably in a B&W outdoor case. :) protected from bumps,dust and water.

tickled

Newly Enlightened
I think he meant a 1 LED light that has the power of a TK70... the TK60 cannot compete with higher powered throwers like the SR90 or 95UT. But then again, its also like $200-300 cheaper. :)
No single LED can put out 2500 lumens... the SR95UT cited can only put out 1000 max (ANSI?).

kj2

Flashaholic
That's no flashlight LED! I'd like to see a light that could provide and dissipate 50 watts lol. The fins on that thing would probably be something to see.
There is always a way, to fit it in a light ;) - but Fenix could start using Luminus leds.

Smood

Newly Enlightened
Sorry it seems one of you guys may be correct. But what kj2 said makes more sense, a head/reflector like the TK70 or the SR95UT.

If that LED works in a new flashlight design it will be quite interesting to see indeed. :D

tickled

Newly Enlightened
There is always a way, to fit it in a light ;) - but Fenix could start using Luminus leds.
I figure such a thing would probably be similar in form factor and size to the X6 + battery pack. Definitely not EDC...

kj2

Flashaholic
Sorry it seems one of you guys may be correct. But what kj2 said makes more sense, a head/reflector like the TK70 or the SR95UT.

If that LED works in a new flashlight design it will be quite interesting to see indeed. :D

Head(body/reflector) like the SR95, single led, and tube like "standard"(without that extra battery tube part) TK70. Then optional, a battery-pack for the ones who like to use a pack.

Smood

Newly Enlightened
Head(body/reflector) like the SR95, single led, and tube like "standard"(without that extra battery tube part) TK70. Then optional, a battery-pack for the ones who like to use a pack.

And you just know that after that Fenix will make a 3 luminus LED version (TK80 or TK100) that will just flood throw even better than the original TK70. :D

kj2

Flashaholic
That's no flashlight LED! I'd like to see a light that could provide and dissipate 50 watts lol. The fins on that thing would probably be something to see.

Just saw this video; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_veu5ZB5vU - this thread; http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?338122-Luminus-SBT-70-Announced and more from Luminus; http://www.luminus.com/news/041912 World's First Round LED PR.pdf

As you can see, that's not the standard type led for a flashlight, but they are working on it :)

Smood

Newly Enlightened
HOLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY @#%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UPDATED TK70! DROOLS. Only thing im scared about is price. :(