bored out surefire z2 and pelican m6

sandman98

Newly Enlightened
alright, i finally bit the bullet and decided to switch over to rechargeable 18650's for my two lights. came up with a workable solution to boring out my lights. thought i would share if it may help someone else.

i used a 1/2" masonry bit chucked in a cordless drill. took an 80 grit sanding belt and cut it in half, fixing one end to the masonry bit with a piece of duct tape. wrap the belt around the bit tightly, trimming a bit off if it still doesn't fit into the flashlight tube.

a lot of heat is produced, so i kept a bucket of water nearby and dipped the tube repeatedly to cool it during the process. no problem sanding wet--the belt will hold up just fine. i then used thin strips of cardboard under the wrapped belt to progressively bulk up the "sanding drum" until i had the tube sized to accept the 18650.

once up to size, i cut off a couple inches of the sanding belt, and then wrapped a piece of 200 grit wet-dry sandpaper around the drum to smooth out the inside of the tube. followed that up with 300 grit, and then 400 grit. it's not a polished "mirror" finish, but all rough burrs are removed and the batteries slide in quite easily.

took about 45 min per light--probably would have been quicker if i'd have started with the water bucket to dissipate heat, rather than relying on a wet towel to hold the flashlight barrel.

hope it helps someone.

--
steve