Suggestions to Mod a halogen million candlepower spotlight.

metalophile

Newly Enlightened
A few years ago my BIL gave me a million candlepower 12V spotlight - looks like a Harbor Freight special - big, bulky, orange housing containing a 12V 4AH Lead Acid gel cell, charger, about 9" diameter shallow reflector, and a halogen lamp - maybe 50W at high. I hardly ever use it - has been sitting in my garage for 4 years. I charge it up once in a while, and I tested last night - still works, holding a charge. Battery is replaceable. It has a slide switch on the handle - medium, and high power.

Help me think of some ideas to mod this thing to something that will be useful since I don't have a lot of need for such a bulky spotlight. Maybe change it to a super flood using 5 XM-L T6's?? I think the halogen bulb is probably a bi-pin automotive type. Are there any good, efficient automotive bi-pin LED replacements? I have yet to find one that's really efficient. The way the optics on this spotlight are currently set up is that the reflector is fairly shallow, and the halogen bulb sticks out above the reflector about 3/4 of an inch. I don't think I could mod this thing to be an LED spotlight due to its present geometry. :thinking: