Take a tcr 01 apart

gunga

Flashaholic
You need to take the LED out, and preferably the circuit. If you don't, you will rip the wires out of the circuit.

Open the bezel, remove the reflector, desolder the LED, take out the retaining ring in the bottom of the head (white plastic surrounding the positive contact). Use torx driver, then take the circuit out of the head.

The head comes apart just above the ring. Note, the later models are glued very tight and can be a pain to open. The earlier ones are quite easy to open. It's kind of hit and miss.

Now you have access to the ring. I have had 1 that was very easy to open, the other was glued tight and I was unable to open it. I just eased some damping grease into the top of the ring with a piece of paper, it helped a lot!

gunga

Flashaholic
No problem! You can still add some damping grease ,just add a touch at the top of the ring, you can ease it in with a post it note or piece of paper. It helps a lot.

fyrstormer

Banned
I was thinking, perhaps sprayable lithium grease from the auto parts store would work. It starts out thin and liquid, until the solvent evaporates, and then it thickens up. It would make a godawful mess while trying to spray it past the tiny gap between the ring and the side of the head, but once the grease thickens and the excess is cleaned off, it should work fairly well.

However, as an experienced user of titanium flashlights, I want to say: don't expect the grittiness to go away. Titanium is never truly happy with any lubricant until the lubricant is packed full of little bits of solid material, which acts as a sliding agent to keep the titanium parts from rubbing directly. The grittiness you feel now is producing little titanium shavings which will eventually cause the lubricant to work better, and cleaning them all out and replacing them with fresh grease will just cause the grittiness to return. I fell into this trap and put a lot of premature wear on the threads of some of my lights until I understood what was really happening. The only time titanium lube really needs to be changed is if the titanium parts were covered with machining debris, but since Jetbeam polishes their titanium lights, that is fairly unlikely. Generally speaking, it's better to incrementally add new lube to replace old lube that was washed away, instead of intentionally removing all the old lube and replacing it all at once.

Last edited:

Latest posts