CR2 battery's

beny

Newly Enlightened
Hi all I am new here and did not see a spot for battery ??
I hope this is OK here.
I am looking to replace my cr2 lith with lith lion rechargeable.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
I see 600 800 and 1000 Mhr
I see one add tels me this is false any over 600 mhr are false.
My thought is 1000 is better I am now using 800.
Thanks

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi beny, and welcome to CPF!:thumbsup:

Most small Li-Ion cells have a ridiculous capacity printed on the label. Lithium CR2 primary cells have a capacity of around 800mAh. LiCo/ICR Li-Ion cells generally have a capacity around half, or a little better than half that of primary cells. So at best, you're looking at 400-450mAh for a LiCo Li-Ion CR2 cell. These cells are hard to find, as well.

I use generic Chinese LiFePO4​/LiFe/IFR (all refer to the same chemistry) Li-Ion cells in my CR2 Lights. These test out at about 200mAh under a 300mA load, typical of a small pocket light on "medium". As info, these have "800mAh" printed on the label, LOL! Performance isn't that great, but they work well enough for a pocket light. If you really need maximum runtime though, you'd be better off sticking with primary cells.

Also, be aware that not all lights intended for CR2 lithium primary cells will work with Li-Ion cells. LiCo cells have an open circuit voltage of 4.20 Volts and a nominal voltage under load of 3.6-3.7 Volts, which is considerably higher than the ~3 Volts of a primary cell. This is why I went the LiFePO4​ route. These cells charge to 3.60 Volts, and under typical load run about 3.2-3.3 Volts. The lights I use them in run a bit hotter on "High", but seem to work OK. No doubt it stresses them a bit though.

Really, if you want to run Li-Ion cells in a light, it's best to get a light that is actually designed to run Li-Ion cells. The voltage specs for these lights will usually say "4.2 Volts", as opposed to a light designed for lithium primary cells which spec at "3 Volts". The use of Li-Ion cells in lights not designed for them could burn up the driver circuitry and/or the LED. Again, be aware of this.

Dave

beny

Newly Enlightened
Hi dave and thanks for the info!
I just found my post and your reply.
I see i posted it in the rong place after reading the rules two more times I found somthing told me
Batt?? should be in elect. I see that now.
Thanks for your help.
Brian