Your first led!

baxtrom

Newly Enlightened
As a kid I used to collect flashlights, but gave it up when getting into the teens (started again when I got out of my teens). I was unaware of the led revolution until I got this small 3AAA triple led flashlight from my father for x-mas :santa:. I remember the Swedish Walmart, Clas Ohlson, was selling them a decade or so ago, they were quite expensive little things. I definitely know I had it on a trip to Russia in -03. It was bloody dark at night going back to the hotel so it came in handy. Still works fine although lumen output is not as impressive as it once was.. :grin2:

You still got your first leds?

RSCN4741_small.jpg

välineurheilija

Enlightened
My first Led light was a Fenix L2D and i still have it and use it all the time.I bought it about 4 years ago,before that i only had incan Maglites and i still have those too:twothumbs

baxtrom

Newly Enlightened
before that i only had incan Maglites and i still have those too:twothumbs

Hello neighbor! :wave:
Maglites take some beating in the flashoholic community but I really like them. Built like tanks (except maybe for the solitaire :naughty: ), quite affordable and real contemporary design classics. Got a 3D and a 2AA, both leds.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

My first led light was a Coast in Fall '06
AA powered ~forward switch ~ optic unit

Gave it to my mom a couple months later,
I'v picked up a few lights since then ;)

Ezeriel

Enlightened
hmm..
3 little 5mm leds upgrade for a minimag
river rock 2AA 90ish lumens
Duracell daylight 2C
Fenix LD20 Q5

...of all the lights I've bought since, the LD20 Q5 is still the most usable, and most often used

ginaz

Enlightened
first led that i really used was the brinkman long life. single 5mm led with optic. ran on 2 aa's. i used it for 2 years in outdoor education, leading over 100 night hikes and it seemed pretty darn bright back then. a set of batteries would get me through a full season too. then on to the fenix lights. still have and use an L2T with rebel emitter. love that light.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
My very first LED light was a cheap headlamp using a lens which provided a very bluish, narrow and dim beam. That one is gone since many years.
But my first ever "true" LED is a Ledlenser 3AAA light, and it still works. I pick it up now and then just for fun to compare to my newer lights.

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Technically my first LED light was my very own custom built flashlight from a very long time ago...back when there were no such things as power LEDs or even high brightness LEDs....I had discovered there were clear case red, green and yellow LEDs and managed to cobble together a few yellow ones inside a plastic 2D flashlight case (I think it was an Eveready) that seemed to work well enough. Of course output was barely enough but when you live out in the sticks and power goes out....the run time was amazing...and I could use it to see to get dressed and to get around the house. I was just a kid at the time so I didn't have much money to spend on improving it.

My first power LED was a couple of years ago when I bought my first LED drop in for my 6P, a Cree XR-E that totally redefined my opinion of bright. This was when I realized that LEDs had finally begun to be a true replacement for incandescents.

baxtrom

Newly Enlightened
Technically my first LED light was my very own custom built flashlight from a very long time ago

That's the sign of a true flashoholic! :D

I built one when I was a kid too, but not led. I used a battery holder for a single D cell and blind riveted a bulb holder directly on it. Two cables provided the "driver circuit" and switching the thing on/off was accomplished by turning the bulb.. :thumbsup:

LowFlux

Enlightened
Brinkman Rebel LED was my first, purchased probably in 2002. Still have it, don't use it. It uses an aspheric lense to project a 5 mm led so it's not a pretty or bright beam. I've read a review about tailcap failure, never had a problem with mine.

My first high end LED flashlight was a Fenix P1D Q5

yliu

Enlightened
Small cheapo keychain light that ran on button cells. I think it was about 8 or 9 years ago.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
My first LED was a Malkoff M61 that went into a Surefire 6P LED host.

Yep, I've still got it and it works great.

Grizz

hoffmyster86

Newly Enlightened
i still have my first two led lights, both last days on three batteries, the first is totaly pathatic past putting keys in a lock, the other works well enough to stumble safely through a wood without spooking any birds up.

after that theres a list of bin fodder..i'm ashamed to say i just kept trying them..

the multi press selctables were a nightmare! but i just could stop untill......

one day.....
i saw the light, i was rebourn and faith returned, fiffy quid! TK tacticle from fenix. i have to say it was a bit of a mix of emosions, first 'why of why didnt i get one of these first time?' and 'shi-eeexusus H...that is bright!'

i have to admit though, the bad taiste and bad memeries of click on click half click a higgery jiggery dance sequence flash click 1/4 click 1/2 click click arghh ffuffuff ergahhhh jifery sos in spanish..italian 6 bleeps 5 flashes..and back through again to go past full because i'd forgetten by then..lol.

twist head select and off or on only please!! think i forgot what i was doing by the time i finished playing gues what the next click does lol.

i think the best parrable of the light is.. dont beleive what you read untill you try it lol, especialy from tesco's or pound shops. the biggest learn i found was determin what they mean by 'can see a million feet' if its confusing or not clear it means everything else can see the bulb, but the inted use of illuminating to see is a defunct dream.. to quote 'bloody useless!' lol. eeee...12 quid later..

enomosiki

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix P2D.

Apart from some missing anodizing and inductor whine, it's still alive and kicking.