Recommendation for a maximum brightness torch

LukasW

Newly Enlightened
Hello there,
iam planning to build a flashlight on my own for some years now, somehow my plans are always interrupted. So i decided to buy a flashlight first, to have one (my antiquated 3D-Maglite may be a object to start some own work, but is not useable anymore).
In short words iam searching for a LED torch in size of 2D-3D Maglite, as bright as possible. Here is the detailed version:

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

____I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter. Shipping to Germany should not overshoot the costs of the flashlight :eek:

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)
____Less than ~$100. (without battery)

3) Format:
____I want a flashlight.

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:
like 2D/3D Maglite

5) Emitter/Light source:
____LED

6) Manufacturer:
____I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.
____I would consider getting a light that is pieced together (host+drop-in). This would be my preffered option.

7) What battery type do you want to use?
____I intend to use rechargeable lithium (li-ion) chemistry. Feel free to specify a size if you know which size you want (14500, RCR123/16340, 17500, 17670, 18650, etc.)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).
____I want ridiculous amounts of lumens (800+ lumens).

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.
____50-150 yards/meters (I live in a very rural area/farm with wide open spaces)

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).
____Up to 30 minutes (I want the brightest [and potentially smallest] light for brief periods)

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.
____Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box).

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):
____I don't care.

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.
____I don't care.

14)Material/Finish/Coating
____I don't care, no plastic

Thank you for some recommendations!

LukasW

Newly Enlightened
Sound very good, thanks! And even a fair price. Do i get maximum power with 2x18650 cells, too, or do i need 4xCR123A?

Are there any recommendations for host+drop-in solution?

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
TK35 will run max on 2 18650's

Others
TK41 U2
Zebra Light SC600 (for something small)

Now for the Over budgets
Nitecore TM11-2000lm
ThruNite TN30-2700lm

And sence you want such a big light you could save your self some money, cuz you will want these eventually, and get a TK70 or VaraPower, both over 2000lm and throw like crazy.

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
fenix tk35?

I went for the TK35 alternative the Rofis TR51 XM-L U2. It throws a little better and has a switch near the head to change modes. It will run on full power using 2 x 18650.

LukasW

Newly Enlightened
Now for the Over budgets
Nitecore TM11-2000lm
ThruNite TN30-2700lm

Awsome. But a little too much over budget :eek:

I would prefer TK35 instead of TK41 because of size and i dont like 8xAA cells.

Is Zebra Light SC600 really comparable? Do i get the same power like with TK35 (on distance)? If so, it would be really interesting, as i do not care so much on runtime...

TK70 is a bit too heavy, even if the light power sounds interesting...

Rofis TR51 XM-L U2 sounds good, too, but the case with the two tubes looks a little unfamiliar to me. On the other hand the case looks like it is able to stand on its tail, i would think TK35 not. Due to my searching results the Rofis TR51 is ~25% higher in purchasing.

Again: Are there any suitable solutions with host+drop-in?

Last edited:

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
Awsome. But a little too much over budget :eek:
Lol yeahhhhh I just got the TN31 its awesome

I would prefer TK35 instead of TK41 because of size and i dont like 8xAA cells.
Fare enough. If you want throw you can check out something like the Olight M3X or Crelent 7G5 but the TK35 is a better all purpose light.

Is Zebra Light SC600 really comparable? Do i get the same power like with TK35 (on distance)? If so, it would be really interesting, as i do not care so much on runtime...

TK70 is a bit too heavy, even if the light power sounds interesting...

Rofis TR51 XM-L U2 sounds good, too, but the case with the two tubes looks a little unfamiliar to me. On the other hand the case looks like it is able to stand on its tail, i would think TK35 not. Due to my searching results the Rofis TR51 is ~25% higher in purchasing.

Again: Are there any suitable solutions with host+drop-in?
The SC600 is 750lm and has amazing runtime on 1x18650, has lots of brightness options, but can only stay on full power for 5min from heat. The TK35 is larger, more holster carry than pocket, does 820lm (860 on the U2) has pretty good runtime on 2x18650's (longer than the SC600 due to double the batteries) with throw way further than the tiny SC600 but not as far as the TK41 and can't tail stand.

IDK about making a light most P60's wont have enough heat sinking to run 800+ lumens and if they did or if you got a cooling head they would probably be to much money.

LukasW

Newly Enlightened
Ok. 5 minutes is enough. If a small light like that has compareable power, it is really suiteable. What about MTE M3-2I Tactical Flashlight XM-L 1000? Do i get even more power here in a small size for half the price of SC600?

@host+drop-in: ive expected the thermal/price problems. So lets leave them out.