Leatherman Wingman

CLHC

Flashaholic
This Leatherman Multi-Tool arrived today.

Comparison with the Victorinox SwissTool Spirit Plus

Imon

Enlightened
Being a longtime Leatherman Fan I was personally disappointed by the quality of Leatherman's two newest multitools the Wingman and Sidekick.

I understand the attraction of these two multitools is their price but ... just save a little extra and get a Wave or even the Blast.

CLHC

Flashaholic
I've had some Leatherman Tools myself.

Wave (First Gen and Second Gen)
Charge AL
Crunch
PST II
Super Tool
Juice S2
Skeletool
Micra

The Juice S2 is the one that I really liked and performed within its intended task that it was built for. As for the Full-Sized Multi-Tool, the Victorinox SwissTool Spirit Plus proved itself even more so than the full-sized LMs especially in terms of durability. Of course, Your Methods May Vary Accordingly so.

bnemmie

Enlightened
I've carried the Wave (I believe its a first gen) daily for years and I love it. It seems every day someone asks me to borrow it. I have heard the Wingman isn't up to the same standards as some of the other models. But I haven't actually put my hands on one yet. Perhaps its geared towards a lighter duty crowd.

Streak

Enlightened
What attracted me to the wingman was the sprung jaws. I find having sprung jaws very useful and up until the wingman carried the gerber suspension for the same reason.

The wingman is not as high quality as some of their other models possibly made outside the USA but for $20 it's outstanding value.

Labrador72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the post and the pics! : )

I understand the attraction of these two multitools is their price but ... just save a little extra and get a Wave or even the Blast.
I was looking at these models yesterday adn came to the same conclusion: better off with the Wave which I already have. If you are on a budget, for 20 bucks they are definitely worth considering.

The Juice S2 is the one that I really liked and performed within its intended task that it was built for. As for the Full-Sized Multi-Tool, the Victorinox SwissTool Spirit Plus proved itself even more so than the full-sized LMs especially in terms of durability. Of course, Your Methods May Vary Accordingly so.

Nearly bought a Juice S2 this week: wanted a light multi-tool with pliers and scissors to complement my Victorinox One Hand DD Forester for when I go hiking and the S2 fit the profile nearly perfectly. The only thing that really put me off is that the cheapest price I found was 65 euros which is a lot for a MM of that size. I'm sure it's a high-quality tool but I can get scissors by bringing a Victorinox Climber [15 euros] as a back-up knife and probably would have a better blade too. I wouldn't have any pliers but I wouldn't use them a much for hiking either. Looks like a great tool though - I might still grab one if I can find at a lower price.

markr6

Flashaholic
I just bought a Wingman locally a few days ago. I love it! I did a ton of research on several models. The Wave sounds great, but I couldn't justify the cost for how much I use something like this. Good price too, so I may get a second one for the EDC pouch in my car. It has just a tiny bit of play between each handle when closed, but not a big deal.

I didn't get a nice box with mine; just the basic blister pack.

GunnarGG

Enlightened
I have the Sidekick and the Wave.
The Sidekick is less sturdy than the Wave but if you don't compare them side to side (or are used to the Wave) IMHO the Sidekick doesn't feel bad.
The benefit of the Sidekick is price but also that it is smaller and lighter.
I have the Wave in my car and the Sidekick in my bag that I carry with me to work.
They doesn't get much use but they are good to have just in case.

DamonL

Newly Enlightened
I bought one for my son who is a Boy Scout. Way more useful than a standard pocket knife and I won't cry if he loses it. The price and utility is just right for this situation.