Need Camping advice

jinx626

Enlightened
Hey guys/gals,

I am going camping at Yosemite in August and need advice on something.

I read lots of comments that one should go hiking here and go see that... My question is:

1) Do you do the hike/fishing/whatever first before setting up camp
2) set up camp and leave one person behind and others go hiking/fishing/whatever
3) set up camp and take only the valuable and leave tent and other gears there and go hiking/fishing/whatever... And hope your neighbors won't take your things.

Which one should we do?

DaveG

Enlightened
When ever I have gone camping,no one has ever messed with or walked off with my stuff.I always set up camp first thing.If you are worried about losing something,take it with you or lock it in the car for safe keeping.I dont know if this will work where you are going or not.Good luck.

markr6

Flashaholic
It depends on how far I'm going away from camp, and how long I'll be gone and the location. I always camp in the backcountry off trails and away from the crowds, so I usually feel safe leaving most my gear unattended. Unfortunatley I JUST read a post on another forum about three people in Colorado getting a lot of gear stolen. I can't stand people messing with other people's stuff, especially when out in the wilderness.

If you can single one person out that maybe doesn't really care to go along, that would be ideal for them to hang out in camp and give you peace of mind.

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'Ve spent a fair amount of time in Yosemite. Your behaviors will depend on where you are in the park. If you're near your car, leave valuables (hidden and locked) in the car. If you are close enough to your car to do this, it will likely be crowded where you are. If you are in the back-country, set up your camp, take whatever you CAN'T lose with you, and head out. Use good camping manners. The valley is crowded, and we all need to reduce our impact. Minimize items that would make bears want to be in your camp, use good camp hygiene. If you are going to do one of th eimmensly popular trails, remember, even though you will be likely surrounded by people, you are in the wilnderness, and are responsible for yourslef. Have enogh water, food, the right shoes and clothing,knowledge of the area, etc. If you are at elevation (half dome, any of the domes, cloud's rest, glacier point) and see weather that you don't like or hear thunder, it's time to move on without delay. Storms can happen very quickly, and all of those areas get hit by lightening often.

If you are setting up in the valley and then hiking out, go ahead and set up camp and then do your hike. Remember to take anything you might need, even on a day hike (don't forget the ten essentials, and forgive me if you are already an experienced hiker, just new to yosemite).

There are some AMAZING less known trails that will get you out of the crowds. My wife and I were there over memorial Day weekend a few years ago, and hiked one trail that went about 4 miles, with amazing views of Yosemite Falls, and eventually El Capitan, ending at a very popular tourist desitnation, but until we gotr to this popular spot, we didn't see a single person. This same weeeknd, there were so many people on the mist trail (half of them in jeans or sneakers, with one bottle of water for a family, saying they were "gonna head on over to half dome".... ugh....) that the bottle neck behind them nearly had us turn around.

Enjoy. Yosemtie is a beautiful place, and a truly inspiring location to spend some time inthe glory of nature.

mossyoak

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Southland with a RedBull in one hand and iPhon
I set up first, and have several thousands worth of gear lying around the site when its friends camping to. we camp off the trail, but sometimes right with several other groups. NEVER had a thing stolen, campers are pretty good folks typically and will watch out for others.

jinx626

Enlightened
Well, I guess we can set camp and do all the hiking the first day or second day of our stay. As long as we don't leave our gears unattended on the last day when everyone is packing up to leave, we should be fine. I doubt our neighbors would steal our gears and leave it in their cars for 2-3 days since they know for sure we will report to the park rangers.

Quiksilver

Enlightened
Hey guys/gals,

I am going camping at Yosemite in August and need advice on something.

I read lots of comments that one should go hiking here and go see that... My question is:

2) set up camp and leave one person behind and others go hiking/fishing/whatever
3) set up camp and take only the valuable and leave tent and other gears there and go hiking/fishing/whatever... And hope your neighbors won't take your things.

Which one should we do?

Are you camping out of a vehicle or do you have all your gear on your back and hiking in/through?

In any case, ALWAYS set up shelter first when you stop for more than a few hours or overnight. I always try to have shelter up two hours before sunset, to give me time for other chores and to relax as well.

-- Get to your preferred camp site, set up shelter, acquire fire (dont light it), acquire water, acquire food.
-- The caveat is when you're hiking through and pass by an opportunity. Such as a stream for fresh water if the map shows not much water sources ahead (near your preferred camp), or a place to get food as long as it doesn't take too long. Very important if you're near or hiking around mountains where you may camp well above any water source. Better to acquire water before you get to camp.

If you're in a good area, you shouldnt need to leave anyone behind. Bring your valuables, leave your big gear and not-so-valuables. Ask people what they'd like to do, and if someone wants to stay behind, let them. You don't have to behave like a herd, but it is nice to do activities with others.

Get a look at the people you're camping near. If they look sensible and like good folks, then don't worry. Bring your valuables with you in a smaller daypack/fanny pack/buttpack/vest/etc. If they are drunks or teens with no adults around or other unsavory-looking folks, then you can leave someone behind to mind your stuff, but generally if you're far enough "out there", that usually weeds out all the criminal-minded people.

Thats why I like to hike for miles and days out into the bush. The folks you meet out there are generally very good people. The further you are from the slums/suburbs/city, the more trustworthy people become.

--

I would never leave small, easily-pocketable valuables in plain sight and would usually have them on my person at all times, or in a locked/hidden compartment in my pack.