A CPF Original. RGBW Quad Cree.

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all,

Recently member jaybiz32 contacted me about this build and after several weeks of collaboration ( and waiting by the mailbox) its done.

The thing that sets this light apart from other RGBW lights is its intended purpose. This light is a tactical strobe only. Each LED is powered by a separate driver that alternates between multiple frequencies of strobe.

Its sole purpose in life is to disorient by hurling a cyclone of luminus chaos into the eyes of would be attackers!

The host came to me as a 3C Maglite polished to a chrome like shine by mr.lumen.

strobemag014.jpg

Since the host began life as a 3C, rather than have a 1" band of knurling, I cut it from both ends to maximize what was available.

strobemag004.jpg

strobemag005.jpg

When Jaybiz contacted me about this light he said he wanted to use all 4 colored LEDs and 20mm stars/optics for the project. So the next step was to bore the head.

strobemag003.jpg

With that done its time for a heat sink.

strobemag001.jpg

strobemag006.jpg

Now we need a heat sink for the 4 driver boards. I just cut an aluminum plate for this and then squared up the edges on my lathe.

strobemag007.jpg

Good snug fit.

strobemag008.jpg

This lights gonna have a tail switch so I made an adapter for a McClikie.

strobemag002.jpg

A delrin plug for the battery pos.

strobemag009.jpg

Sleeve for the 18650.

strobemag010.jpg

Wired up and ready to go. Getting 4 of those drivers and all that wiring stuffed inside this host was ridiculous, one of the most difficult I think I have done.

strobemag012.jpg

And Viola. Optics in. I did have to drill and tap a couple holes to screw down the heat sink as well.

strobemag013.jpg

By now your probly thinking, well thats all great but what does it look like when you fire it up.

Here is a video with only one LED hooked up so you can see how the drivers perform alternating strob frequencies.

http://youtu.be/v2_kZsWHess

All together now.

http://youtu.be/yvrumMPX6B0

Now for some shadow casting. Watch as I hold the light behind this plant. I moved the light around a bit when doing this to try to get the camera to pick up the colors, but even in a stationary position because of the separation of the LEDs it causes the shadows to jump around.

http://youtu.be/6nyw4tVGq2o

In real life the colors are more intense when I shine it behind the plant. It looks sort of like viewing a prism.
Here is another little clip.

http://youtu.be/7qxtcoXar8s

CREDITS

jaybis32
Design, Owner

Dr. Jones
Custom multi frequency strobe driver boards

mr.lumen
Polished aluminum host

vestureofblood
Build

Thanks for looking every one. Hope you enjoy your new light jaybiz....:D

Last edited:

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
:green: Awesome work hows the beam hold up at 20 feet? the optics look aspheric but small kind of like led_zep's 19mm Aspherics
I wonder if a Royal/UV would have been more :sick2: than white

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is mental!

I wonder if a similar effect could be achieved with a RGBW MC-E

Or four. Same driver setup but four dies of each colour rotating randomly.

I feel sick just imagining it.

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
:green: Awesome work hows the beam hold up at 20 feet? the optics look aspheric but small kind of like led_zep's 19mm Aspherics
I wonder if a Royal/UV would have been more :sick2: than white

Thanks nein. Good call on the optics they are Aspherical. The beam does still get a bit wide at a distance, but for the most part its focused. I'd say the beam is about 6-8ft in diameter 20ft out.

That is mental!

I wonder if a similar effect could be achieved with a RGBW MC-E

Or four. Same driver setup but four dies of each colour rotating randomly.

I feel sick just imagining it.

The single RGBW MCE would work, but I think the effect of the light pulsating from different angles adds a lot to the effect.

Just the thought of trying anything more elaborate like the multi MCE you mentioned makes me wanna:sick2: a little. A bigger host would certainly be needed ( and a different builder LOL!)

Last edited:

mr.lumen

Enlightened
man thats cool! never thought about that being done. great build as always!

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
AggHH! The last two vids are sick!!! Great light to bring to a rave. You could probably sell a ton of 'em at BurningMan.

Its funny that you mention that. I dont really do that sort of thing ( party/raves etc) but that is exactly what I thought of when saw that display on the wall. I could almost hear their reactions in my head.

WHooooOOOaaahh Cosmic dude!