Mountain Hiking with a Variable Control Ring (Not Recommended)

excfenix

Newly Enlightened
So I'm trekking down a mountain with the Sunwayman V10R at nite. Well, sometimes you trek too fast and you can't stop when you want, and that's what happened me. It didn't help that the V10R's variable control ring was accidentally and randomly rotated towards dim, so I couldn't see where I was stepping sometimes. Luckily and I didn't sprain an ankle, etc. From that experience, I don't recommend anything with a variable control ring at night when your body moves alot. Luckily I had my Xeno EO3 V3 with me. Click and forget.

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
if you are brave enough to take it apart, repacking the ring with silicone grease makes it more stiffer to turn preventing accidental output change.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds pretty brave to be mountain hiking at night with such low quality lights to begin with. I'm not knocking those lights a useful edc lights, but mountain hiking at night? I use Zebralights all the time and love them. But I'll be damned if you catch me purposefully using them as the only light I have to hike down a mountain in the dark.

Imon

Enlightened
OP you should use a headlamp when you hike. I've been using my trusty old SL Argo HP for years and have been quite satisfied with its performance. Plus I need my hands free anyways since I'm usually using trekking poles or staring at my GPS.

HighlanderNorth

Flashlight Enthusiast
OP you should use a headlamp when you hike. I've been using my trusty old SL Argo HP for years and have been quite satisfied with its performance. Plus I need my hands free anyways since I'm usually using trekking poles or staring at my GPS.

THIS^^^

It doesnt matter which headlamp you choose as long as its a good one, but I dont know anyone who goes backpacking these days without a headlamp. Theres no issue with having to twist a control ring, you just put it on your head, and when it gets dark, you switch it on. Then if you need to adjust it, you stop for a split second and click into a new mode, and get on your way again, and your hands are always free. When you get to camp and you're in your tent, and you are getting stuff in order there, it comes in handy again. When you are trying to cook after dark, or get firewood, or make tea, etc., it leaves your hands free for all those tasks. Even a cheap $35 headlamp will work wonders!

Lou Minescence

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I'm trekking down a mountain with the Sunwayman V10R at nite. Well, sometimes you trek too fast and you can't stop when you want, and that's what happened me. It didn't help that the V10R's variable control ring was accidentally and randomly rotated towards dim, so I couldn't see where I was stepping sometimes. Luckily and I didn't sprain an ankle, etc. From that experience, I don't recommend anything with a variable control ring at night when your body moves alot. Luckily I had my Xeno EO3 V3 with me. Click and forget.

Was this incident a multiple time occurrence ?
I think any light may turn off or change modes unexpectedly if the conditions are right and the switches are bumped.

OKWalker

Newly Enlightened
The Niteye Eye10 has detents in it's control ring mechanism that might have prevented this issue.

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast

actually this might be the best solution. a nite eyez or nitecore headband with the v10r. use it like a headlamp.

fresh eddie fresh

Enlightened
Pick a level then tape it in place?

(I'm a duct tape fixes anything kind of guy! Actually more specifically gaffers tape.)

Flashlight Enthusiast
get an o-ring a bit tighter than the light, and roll it down to the
ring, it will provide plenty of friction to keep it from spinning accidentally
but still allow you to access the ring easily

AZPops

Flashlight Enthusiast
One Rotary that wouldn't rotate unintentionally is an HDS! However, like others has mentioned, if I was out trekking. I'd have a headlamp on my head, and a light holstered should the need arises. Did I say that right? ... Oh well i think you know what I mean.