Problem with Fenix PD20 Q5

fadetoblack73

Newly Enlightened
I am having a problem with my older Fenix PD20 Q5. Normally, I do not use the "Turbo / Strobe" mode. However, this past weekend I needed the Turbo Mode. I tightened the head and out came the full 180 lumens. The problem started when I tried to loosen the head to go back to the normal modes. When I try to loosen the head with the light on and in Turbo, the light simply turns off. I have tried taking the battery out and replacing it with a brand new battery. I have gone through the loosen / tighten routine seemingly hundreds of times. The light is stuck in the high output modes. Any suggestions?

spydie fanatic

Newly Enlightened
I've never heard this one before, but others in the past have complained of flashlight not working alltogether or intermittenly. These issues were fixed by tightening the piece in the tailcap. I myself have a LD20 and it stopped working one day; tightening the piece in the tailcap was all I had to do to fix the issue and get it up and running again. Dropping the light or taking off/putting on the tailcap can over time loosen this piece.

I would try and tighten the piece in the tailcap all the way. If memory serves me correctly, the threads are backwards so to tighten you will have to screw the piece counter clockwise. You can use a pair of needle nose pliers to fit the two holes or bend the bars on a 4sevens tool (made to specifically take the tail piece apart, fenix brand has a slight width difference which is why you have to bend the bars to fit).

Please let us know if this fixes it.

sf

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Clean the threads, that's where the current goes thru for the lower levels.

fadetoblack73

Newly Enlightened
Clean the threads, that's where the current goes thru for the lower levels.

That did it. I used an old toothbrush with alcohol and cleaned the threads at the head, body and switch. I applied just a tiny bit of petroleum jelly to the threads and reassembled the light. Now it works just like new. Thank you for the help.