What about the old fashion maglight?

CYMac

Newly Enlightened

what is the maglight use in this video? how come it is so dim? Mine can shoot brighter than that, is it an old version? how many lumens is that bulb ? anybody got info? fun to see a comparison like that, spooky.. haha!

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mini-Mag incandescent. It puts out around 5 lumens. A more fair comparison woul be the Mini-MagLED compared to the Fenix. That one puts out a more respectable 60 lumens or so, but, will have more run time compared to the Fenix.

CYMac

Newly Enlightened
ah I see, 5 lumens? That's what we call the "moon light" mode nowadays... haha...

The mini mag LED have longer runtime ONLY because it have 2 batteries instead of one right?

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a combination of two batteries versus one and a lower level versus a higher level. Either scenario (more batteries or lower level, assuming similar efficiency) would give you longer run times, but, combined you should get a whole
lot more.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
from the datasheet of the LD10:

low - 3 lumen: 70 hours (comparable brightness to the 5 of the MM), or
med - 13 lum: 11 hours
compared to the 5-6 hours for the 2 cell minimag @ 5 lm

incan in that size/output is soooo much of dead ...

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
from the datasheet of the LD10:

low - 3 lumen: 70 hours (comparable brightness to the 5 of the MM), or
med - 13 lum: 11 hours
compared to the 5-6 hours for the 2 cell minimag @ 5 lm

incan in that size/output is soooo much of dead ...
You left out high and turbo:
45 lumens for 4 hours 40 minutes
100 lumens for 1 hour 48 minutes

I was referencing the Mini-MagLED which has a high and a low mode:
77 lumens for 10 hours 45 minutes
?? lumens for 31 hours 30 minutes (I'm going to guess 19 lumens on low)

I know, it's comparing apples to oranges since these are manufacturer's claims, but, you get the idea. I'm more inclined to believe MagLite's claims over Fenix's.

tickled

Newly Enlightened
You left out high and turbo: 45 lumens for 4 hours 40 minutes 100 lumens for 1 hour 48 minutes I was referencing the Mini-MagLED which has a high and a low mode: 77 lumens for 10 hours 45 minutes ?? lumens for 31 hours 30 minutes (I'm going to guess 19 lumens on low) I know, it's comparing apples to oranges since these are manufacturer's claims, but, you get the idea. I'm more inclined to believe MagLite's claims over Fenix's.
The mini-MagLED isn't regulated. It's only 77 on fresh batteries. I own one.

CYMac

Newly Enlightened
yeah that's right, the mini mag LED did dim down when your battery goes down as well, sucks on that part. I was thinking it was my eyes but the post above proof me right. Yeah, it is annoying to see the dimming ghost. Anybody try to mod their mini mag with some other bulbs? I thought there are better bulbs for it instead of the stock ones?

I saw on youtube someone mod their 4D or something into 600 lumens or 1000 lumens too,...

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
yeah that's right, the mini mag LED did dim down when your battery goes down as well, sucks on that part. I was thinking it was my eyes but the post above proof me right. Yeah, it is annoying to see the dimming ghost. Anybody try to mod their mini mag with some other bulbs? I thought there are better bulbs for it instead of the stock ones?

I saw on youtube someone mod their 4D or something into 600 lumens or 1000 lumens too,...

It's tough to take the MiniMag LED apart. I mean, it can be done but eugh. Some people have played with higher-voltage cells. Most cheap boost circuits run harder on higher voltage, or stupidly bright with Vbatt>Vforward. NiZn rechargeables DO make a minimag LED brighter, and I imagine a 14500 and a metal spacer would make one even brighter. But this certainly voids the warranty, and can't be healthy for the LED.

If you did take it apart and put a modern Cree in, and a high-powered driver, you'd still run into thermal limits. There's a long path for heat to get from the LED to the outside of the flashlight.

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened

VaraPower 2K :)

Should interrupt his video with a 245lm mini mag pro+ and be like "So whats wrong with mag?" lol

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
The point is that he took the worst possible AA light to compare a modern LED light to. The least he could have done was to use the MMLED, flaws and all. Also, keep in mind the price points of the two lights.

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
The point is that he took the worst possible AA light to compare a modern LED light to. The least he could have done was to use the MMLED, flaws and all. Also, keep in mind the price points of the two lights.
He could of picked up a dolor store light or an offbrand incan or one of those 2D incans. Honestly most people still have incan MMags or 2,3 and 4Dmags, but the LD10 does cost more.

Last edited:

CYMac

Newly Enlightened
ah, probably his point of the video is to show people how amazed he is when he encounter the LD10 from a background of just using the normal incan MM.. so most people are the same too, they only expose to dollarstore stuff or these, and when they see the size of these fenix and jebeams, they think - what's so cool about it anyway? and when the light beams out that crazy bright beam, they all shock and think they saw something not from their world.

I was like that at first too.. maybe you guys forgot your day1 into flashlight, haha, you guys are too into the lumen-addiction already, you forgot your baby days

peterkin101

Newly Enlightened
I have the Mini Maglite AA Incandescent to thank for my addiction.

Back in September 1991 it was the brightest torch for its size anywhere.

So much so I was hooked on Maglites for 20 years.

And thanks to the rudeness of an ex work colleague I acquired another one back in December.

The outstanding attributes of build quality, spot-to flood beam etc were still there.

But the beam?

Dim, deep orange and artefact ridden.

So hopelessly outmoded.

I modded mine with a 160 lumen TerraLUX module, a multi coated optical glass front, a TerraLUX Tactical switch and power it with two Sanyo Eneloop XX 2500mAH NiMH cells.

IMHO that was a lot of fun and gives me 85% of the best LED torches in its class.

Would I buy an Incandescent Mini Maglite AA?

NO CHANCE!

Is it worth modding one?

If you've had a Mini Maglite AA Incandescent for years and want to bring it into the 21st Century an unreserved YES!

Last edited:

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
ah, probably his point of the video is to show people how amazed he is when he encounter the LD10 from a background of just using the normal incan MM.. so most people are the same too, they only expose to dollarstore stuff or these, and when they see the size of these fenix and jebeams, they think - what's so cool about it anyway? and when the light beams out that crazy bright beam, they all shock and think they saw something not from their world.

I was like that at first too.. maybe you guys forgot your day1 into flashlight, haha, you guys are too into the lumen-addiction already, you forgot your baby days
Exactly, but most people wont spend the money for a decent light.

Jabberwocke

Newly Enlightened
Being old enough to have a collection of Mag lights (from little 2AA to 5D), is there any value in trying to upgrade ? I suspect that getting rid of the heat from any LED replacement lamp limits that path rather quickly. Is it best to give to give them to the kids for play and purchase something designed/built in the 21st century ? What options are out there ?

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are plenty of fine examples of modified Mags and Mini-Mags in the Modified Section that are running not only LED, but, high powered LED setups. It just takes a heatsink and some imagination.

jonnyfgroove

Enlightened
Being old enough to have a collection of Mag lights (from little 2AA to 5D), is there any value in trying to upgrade ? I suspect that getting rid of the heat from any LED replacement lamp limits that path rather quickly. Is it best to give to give them to the kids for play and purchase something designed/built in the 21st century ? What options are out there ?

Look into the Malkoff Devices XP-G drop ins for your C or D lights. Awesome throw, and regulated output on alkaline cells. Well worth the 40 bucks.

Last edited: