Zebra light headlamps?

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
I want to get my first head lamp and the only ones that make sense to me are the Zebra light, angle lights. I don't like Fenix because you have to have a separate battery pack.

Now my question is what is the difference between the H51 and H502? And what is the H502d? Also Why would one want a RED head lamp?

Question 2 with the H600 can I access that 420lm mode or do I always have to wait for it to drop down from 750lm even if 420lm is enough and I want to conserve battery and heat? If so that is sort of a deal breaker because the next step down is 270lm I would really like to just turn it on in "HI" and save Turbo for when I needed it.

Last could I make a H51/31 and SC80 hybrid? A H80? to run a 17500?

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
First off there is 2 Fenix headlamps without an external battery pack I believe the HL-15 and a new one just recently out the HL-30. One is 1AA the latter 2AA.
Second... red lights are supposed to help preserve night vision sometimes used in tactical ops and also stargazing (astronomy).
Third I don't know about the H600 but I bet if you go to Zebralights website and also search for reviews on it they will tell you what you need to know and a lot more.
Fourth I don't think headlamp parts are swappable it is possible I guess if you have a custom made holder you could insert a smaller battery in place of a larger one.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
First off there is 2 Fenix headlamps without an external battery pack I believe the HL-15 and a new one just recently out the HL-30. One is 1AA the latter 2AA.
Three actually, HL20 and HL21 but the two are similar bar some little things such as OP reflector vs smooth. The new one will be HL30

ScaryFatKidGT

Enlightened
Three actually, HL20 and HL21 but the two are similar bar some little things such as OP reflector vs smooth. The new one will be HL30
Well neither the HL20 or 21 are anywhere near bright enough, the HL30 is cool with the 2 LED's but durability is a concern.

So you can pick either 420lm or 750 for 3 min then 420 from the start?

Will the H502 take a 14500? I think its a really cool idea but the H600 just blows it away in output due to it only taking 1 AA.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
The higher powered ZL's are probably really cool, but a regular old AA powered ZL seems like the epitomy of a practical flashlight to me. The light barely weighs more than the battery, and you get crazy good run times on the lower levels with a very common battery type.

Get a good, basic utility ZL headlamp and save up for a fancy hand held thrower... I bet you'll use the flood or floody headlamp 90+% of the time. -or wish you'd got a floody headlamp if you choose the standard spot+spill.

A good hand held thrower plus floody headlamp is hard to beat.
...I'm really happy to have less lumens for 85< CRI at 4000K color temperature, H51Fc. Might be too weak for some, but the quality of light and efficiency at lower levels is outstanding.

Last edited:

peterharvey73

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have had an SC600 since last November; it replaced my Jetbeam RRT-0 as my EDC, because the SC600 is only a little bigger, doesn't throw quite as far, but has a huge hot spot, and a huge wide spill, which is so much more practical than a tiny intense hotspot.

I have a Fenix HP11 XP-G R5, and it is quite similar to the Jetbeam RRT-0 S2, in that it is very throwy.

Just received my H600 today.
So small and light; even thinner and lighter than the SC600.
The H600 is super lightweight.
The H600 switch is slightly more raised, and a softer button, hence easier to press, esp with the ball of the fingers.
The headstrap lacks a longitudinal link, but that's fine.
The silicone hold of the H600 doesn't feel that robust, however it gives infinite rotary adjustment up and down, unlike the Fenix HP11 which adjusts in discrete amounts only.
A slow long press gives the H600 low.
A quick short press gives the H600 high.
Holding the H600 down ramps from: low, to medium, to high, and this continues to cycle up and down indefinitely.
Each of the three modes, has two sub-modes.
The sub-mode is activated by two quick double clicks for: low 1 and low 2, medium 1 and medium 2, and high 1 and high 2.
High 2 is in other words - turbo.

Thus, a quick short press will give either high 1 or high 2.
It will remember the previous of the sub-settings.

The H600 XM-L delivers a wonderful balance between the maximum throw of a Fenix HP11 XP-G R5, and the maximum flood of a H502.
The H600 has a wonderfully balanced beam, for those looking for such.
It has a lovely 18650 with a big 3100 mAH capacity too.

It's a pity that Fenix is too slow to come up with an XM-L headlamp, while Spark has XM-L headlamps, but they are limited to only 500 measly lumens.
So I had to buy the Zebralight H600 for a lusty 750 lumens...

Last edited: