Reflector For cree XML

nikkocam

Newly Enlightened
Hi i'm Nicolas from france. I homemade a dive light flash with taskled driver + 3 xm-l T6 and modified fraen for cree xre Q5 And I'm dissapointed because the beam angle is really too large than using a cree XRE Q5 with a frean.

What reflector Should I use to have a hotpost between 5 to 15° (extremly 20°) ? Regina reflectors should be great (I saw pictures of cpf and the problem seems to be same as my actual configuration) ? head of my flashlight is 50mm and I have 3 leds so i have to use little reflectors.

thanks a lot !!

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wide beams are the nature of the beast with multiple XM-Ls in small reflectors. You may get a stronger beam with aspheric lenses on one, two, or three of those XM-Ls, but I do not know if you can find an appropriate focal length to fit in your flashlight. You will lose lumens with this approach. Check the Dive Light forum; PackHorse has done some NEAT builds there.

Aepoc

Enlightened
I made a tri XML mag, and have tried both 20mm reflectors and 20mm TIR optics... I currently have the reflectors in it because it is mainly used for flood light, but the optics did provide a bit more throw than the reflectors.

For throw, I'm using a Dereelight V3 with a single XML and aspheric lens. Although this light is one third the output as my mag, the throw is incredible! If you are looking for a high output light with a lot of throw, I would go the single emitter-aspheric lens rout. I would love to try an aspheric lens with an SST-90!

Perhaps with the right optics, you could get a decent amount of throw from your tripple emitter light. Check out the TIR optics. As far as I have experienced however, multi emitters will always be floodier than a single emitter with a nice lens, optic, or large reflector.