SRTH on UBH II lights it up!!!

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
I have come to really like my SRTH on my UBH II. It is one of my most used lights. The N2 bulb is just great, offering a great bright hotspot (hard to believe this is "just 105 lumens"), while offering decent runtime on the 3x123 lithium cells.

Well, something happened last night that really made me appreciate this light (and I already do).
For a couple of nights now, I could swear I have been hearing owls hooting outside at around 10 - 11pm. The first night I thought it was something on the TV, and didn't give it a second thought. Then, the second night I thought I was hearing things, but I definitely heard it. By the time I got outside, nothing was to be found. Last night, though, it was different.

I was downstairs in my living room playing GT3 on my PS2 just before bed (about 11:15pm). My living room is at the back of the house adjacent to the back yard. I hear the hooting, so I pause the game and listen carefully. It is much louder than previous nights, so I turned off the motion sensing floodlight out back and quietly slipped out the back door. I again listened carefully, then I heard it loud and clear. Who, whoo, who, who... It was surprisingly loud, and as best as I could tell, it was coming from the roof of my neighbor's house behind me. I went back inside and got my wife, then grabbed the SRTH/UBH II light off of the kitchen table. I told her to be quiet, and we both went outside. We listened carefully, then heard a hoot come from the distance. "Darn, it flew away already" nearly came out of my mouth when we heard the one on the roof call back (there is more than one!). Oh good, it's still there! Time to SEE it!

I waited for it to call again to locate it as best I could, and it seemed to be coming from on top of one of the hot air vents on the roof. I depressed the LOTC and lit up a very large great horned owl! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif These are big birds to begin with, but this one was quite big, I suppose because it has a very large field to hunt in with some good trees for roosting. It immediately turned it's head from the bright light, then proceeded to turn it's body away from us (could hear it's talons on the metal surface). It sat there for about another 15 seconds, then silently flew away toward the field. Pretty cool experience! Owls aren't seen very regularly by people since they're mainly nocturnal, and I think it was a real treat to see such a beautiful specimen so closely! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

The best thing was I was able to light up the owl without lighting up the whole back of the house behind me and disturbing the neighbors because the SRTH throws such a tight spot of light. That was a really cool flashaholic experience, even my wife agreed! Without the light I had for this, it wouldn't have been nearly as good. Thanks CPF!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

BTW, here is a great bird identification website:
Patuxent Bird Identification InfoCenter

BC0311

Flashlight Enthusiast
This was a delight to read! Thanks, LedModMan.

The Great Horned Owl, truly the monarch of the night sky.

BC

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I've never seen one, must be quite a thrill. The SRTH is great (though I've gone back to using it with the 9P rather than the UBH; just seems better balanced that way).

Brightnorm

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
nukiez,
The owl immediately turned it's head away from the light, and never turned it back toward me, otherwise I would have been afraid of hurting it's eyes... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

I listened for him again last night, but nothing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif