SF E1L Outdoorsman

rjr104

Newly Enlightened
This may be a stupid question, but I'll ask it anyway. I have two of these lights, identical in every respect. (KX1 heads, clicky, etc. etc.)
One is high only, one is low/high. SF advertizes these as two speed. Was this light originally a single, and maybe I have an old one and a newer one?
TIA,
RJ

wrf

Newly Enlightened
[...]KX1 heads[...]Was this light originally a single[...]

Correct. First available as a single mode before the dual mode version came out. I had one once, but ruined it trying to disassemble it. You may find the serial number on the head of the dual mode KX1 starts with a "B".

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one that's single mode 30 lumens for 10 hours. And a new one with the KX1B head that's 3/80 lumens. There is also the one they made in between those two that's 3/45 lumen.

Awesome light. I finally got some Tenergy 3 volt RCR's for it. Now I'm using (playing) with it more than ever.

e1lr.jpg

Last edited:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one that's single mode 30 lumens for 10 hours. And a new one with the KX1B head that's 3/80 lumens. There is also the one they made in between those two that's 3/45 lumen.
Was the E1L ever available with a KX1B head? I thought KX1B was available only on the E2L-AA? Not quite sure what you meant when you say, "There is also the one they made in between those two that's 3/45 lumen". Surefire's website listed the current E1L as being 3/45 lumen. Was there ever a 3/80 lumen?

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have one of the older E1Ls with single-mode only. Great little light. Very handy. Good light and easily pocketable.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as I know all of the new E1L's are now coming with the KX1B head. Surefire probably hasn't updated the website yet because there is old stock on the shelves. I bought my E1L brand new and it has the same head as my E2L-AA.

Last edited:

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
As far as I know all of the new E1L's are now coming with the KX1B head. Surefire probably hasn't updated the website yet because there is old stock on the shelves. I bought my E1L brand new and it has the same head as my E2L-AA.
Wow! No wonder a year or so ago the 3/45 lumen E1L was going at like almost half the actual retail price at my local dealer.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't really understand the true difference between KX1 and KX1B. I first thought they are optimized for each battery use. My E1L has KX1 and my E2L AA has KX1B. Both are dual mode and both have EXACTLY the same brightnesses. Because the KX1 head gives slightly warmer tint(propably due to the "tint lottery") I tried to use it with E2L AA but it occured some issue with flickering, so it seemed to be something with KX1 head which didn't like 2AA cells.

Last edited:

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
My E1L is much brighter than the 3/45 lumen model I had. It was even brighter than my L1. So I noticed a huge difference in brightness.

This light is really impressive for it's size and output. It can light up my backyard and hit areas that my floodier 200 lumen + lights can't touch and the low, while not a moonlight by any means, is bright enough easily navigate with while still maintaining a couple days worth of continuous output.

Last edited:

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the 'new' 3/80 head have the same runtimes on both high and low as the older 3/45 head?

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think anyone has done a run time test yet, but I doubt it. I've considered trading one of my KX1B heads for the 3/45 lumen version to run on my E2LAA for the insanely long run time it would get off of 2AA's though.

benm11

Newly Enlightened
I have the single output and double output and these are some of the best lights sf makes. Small, bright and the low has a great runtime.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
That's funny that nobody has done a side by side test between the two dual mode E1L's.

I'm sure someone around here has both, right???

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I lego'd a KX1A (from a scout light), black E1e tube, and Z68. 110 lumen single speed. All throw no glow! I carry it in a black Maxpedition 4" black sheath.

tonkem

Enlightened
I have an E1L and a E2L - AA. I took the head off the E2L-aa and put it on the E1L, and aside from the tint difference, the output is almost the same, to my eyes. I am sure the original E1L rated at 3/45 is more like 3/80 anyway, but surefire has under rated the output, in normal surefire fashion. I have 2 E1L's with one a green tint, and the other a white tint, compared to the e2l-aa also in white tint, I can only see marginal, if any differences in output. So I would say they are very close, if not the same. Not sure of the new designation Kx1B, and how that would actually differ, as the LED looks the same as well.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an E1L and a E2L - AA. I took the head off the E2L-aa and put it on the E1L, and aside from the tint difference, the output is almost the same, to my eyes. I am sure the original E1L rated at 3/45 is more like 3/80 anyway, but surefire has under rated the output, in normal surefire fashion. I have 2 E1L's with one a green tint, and the other a white tint, compared to the e2l-aa also in white tint, I can only see marginal, if any differences in output. So I would say they are very close, if not the same. Not sure of the new designation Kx1B, and how that would actually differ, as the LED looks the same as well.
The 3/45 lumen E1L is not the same in output as the E2L-AA, on paper as well as visual inspection. E2L-AA clearly is brighter but the difference in brightness between the two is not that great, but neither is it unnoticeable either. That said, I don't think Surefire under-rated the output of the E1L.

Last edited: