Sub-Lumen "Moonlight" Mode Poll

What do you think of sub-Lumen "moonlight" modes?

• Haven't Used It - Would like to try it

Votes: 38 7.4%
  • Haven't Used It - Not really interested

Votes: 25 4.9%
  • Used It - Love it, A top priority for my lights

Votes: 207 40.4%
  • Used It - Desirable, a "pro" feature

Votes: 168 32.8%
  • Used It - Neutral, I can take it or leave it

Votes: 48 9.4%
  • Used It - Undesirable, a "con" feature

Votes: 13 2.5%
  • Used It - Hate it, it's a wasted mode slot to cycle through

Votes: 13 2.5%

• Total voters

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everybody seems to want a killer Max mode - but what about the other end of the spectrum? What does the general CPF community think about the ultra low lows - the sub-lumen "moonlight" modes?

EDIT: Just for reference, here's a sample of some popular brands/lights with sub-lumen modes (manuf. spec/my meter reading):

10382792495_d7a2fee1c2_c.jpg

Last edited:

kj2

Flashaholic
I like moon-mode. First when I heard of it, I thought why would you ever use moon-mode??. Now that I have the Thrunite T10- I use it a lot. Very handy at night so you don't wake everybody.

madecov

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just voted, I have a Moonlight mode on one light and I never use it. I usually use High or Medium. I use strobe more often than moonlight.

Ezeriel

Enlightened
You can put me down for - Desirable, a "pro" feature

It's kinda of a wasted setting for anyone that already has it on a light.. now that I have a H502 I don't need it on anything else

...but the more light levels the better.

Gimme a LD20 with 6-10 light levels, when the head is loose, and you will see a VERY happy camper :D

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use sub-lumen levels all the time, both on my EDC headlamp (a ZL H600w), and on my EDC hand-torch (Quark AA in TI, #366, running 14500). At night, I seldom need more around the house. For reading in bed, anything more than a lumen is an annoyance to the dearly beloved.

Yeah, I think they're great. Part of why I like the Quark regular UI is that it comes on in sub-lumen mode if you have the head loose.

TweakMDS

Enlightened
A must, but not necessarily on all my lights. I love it on the D25A and C clickies, but not needed on larger lights.

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the sublumen low lows, I always have atleast one light with me with an ultra low, my back up light tends to be the 750+ lumen light ;) and that's because I need it less often

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not too sure if it would be a top priority in my light purchase since it was never really a consideration before I buy a light so I voted desirable. Would be great to have, and some of my lights do have low low output which is useful for times when I either don't want to advertise my presense and position, or doesn't want to disturb someone who is sleeping.

scout24

Flashaholic
I voted Desirable, a pro feature. I use Sub-Lumen as much as anything else, it's amazing in true darkness how much light it really is. I don't need it on EVERY light I own, but generally carry one with the capability. Probably half of the "users" I own can go sub-lumen, and have been chosen for this attribute in addition to their quality.

ganzo

Newly Enlightened
For me it's a "pro" feature. I use 0.6 lumen mode on my zebra sc50w+ for reading Kindle at night a lot.

Racer

Enlightened
It's a must for me. What I noticed collecting flashlights for a couple years is that most seemed over-powered (not to mention bulky) for what I wanted in an EDC. Now I mostly carry a T10 as well. Every once in a while it's under-powered, and I need to grab a more powerful light. But most of the time the three modes it has are perfect. I get a lot of mileage out of the moonlight mode.

DavidMB

Newly Enlightened
I've heard it said here before, but I think a low, low, moonlight is just as important as how bright a light gets.

blackbalsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love the sub lumen mode. Most of my Milkyspits have that option and i like that to be the first one to come on. If I need a higher output it is easily reached by a few soft touches of the clicky switch.......Robert.

Haesslich

Flashlight Enthusiast
I now make it a habit to carry one light with a sub-lumen mode. It gives me hours upon hours of use, especially when my eyes are night-adapted, or else I don't want to dazzle myself just to make my way through a room or a hallway. Plus, you'd be surprised how usable low-low light can be in areas where you don't have 50000 streetlamps, just to see what's just up ahead, or close to your feet.

Retinator

Enlightened
Low modes rule for the middle of the night snack or whatever.

Invictus is deadly for this............. set it to low 2 lumen mode, wake up, go for the switch, press in too far (800), back to bed........with a headache

And remember the amount of light you need is proportional to the amount of sleepy dirt in the eyes!

Latest posts