Blinking Mode?

Pandorum

Newly Enlightened
Lots of EDC flashlights have a strobe mode that doesn't see much use in daily activity.
So I am just wondering do you think a blinking mode would be a better idea?
Not a SOS mode but a blinking mode people can use when walking along the street for better visibility to cars after dark.
You could wear the light around your neck on a lanyard or clip it on your belt. It would be visible even when pointed down at the ground.

ficklampa

Newly Enlightened
Lots of EDC flashlights have a strobe mode that doesn't see much use in daily activity.
So I am just wondering do you think a blinking mode would be a better idea?
Not a SOS mode but a blinking mode people can use when walking along the street for better visibility to cars after dark.
You could wear the light around your neck on a lanyard or clip it on your belt. It would be visible even when pointed down at the ground.

I know bouncers for night clubs like the strobe mode, but have never personally had any real use of it. I can see it being used for non lethal self defence though.

A blinking mode would be cool I guess, I know niteize have a few small lights you hang on your person/dog.

http://www.niteize.com/collections/led/products/ziplit
http://www.niteize.com/collections/led/products/ridelit
http://www.niteize.com/collections/led/products/cliplit

Something similar in a normal edc-light could be useful as well I think. Personally I do not feel the need for SOS and Strobe, I would love if more flashlights would have the option to disable them. (I found one that let's you solder a few points on the head and that disables the mode)

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
I could see using the strobe mode as a beacon for EMS personnel or similar in an emergency or as a warning light for on-coming traffic if you're broke down and all of these reasons are why I prefer to carry a light with that option. My Jetbeam Jet IIIM has two beacon modes that I suppose could be used as you described although I'm not likely to ever use them in that manner.

ficklampa

Newly Enlightened
I could see using the strobe mode as a beacon for EMS personnel or similar in an emergency or as a warning light for on-coming traffic if you're broke down and all of these reasons are why I prefer to carry a light with that option. My Jetbeam Jet IIIM has two beacon modes that I suppose could be used as you described although I'm not likely to ever use them in that manner.

I can see a slower strobe for that, but not the superfast "tactical" strobe. Well, come to think of it, depends on the amount of lumen also... (for me)

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Zebralight has a nice slow stobe mode and yes, I think it's way more useful than the tactical strobes and SOS modes, which I will probably never use. It's more of "warning" strobe than a "HELP/POLICE" strobe. Much more useful for bicyclists and broken down motorist. To bad more light don't come with it.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
While I haven't yet found a need for blinky modes I don't mind having it. Kind of like the slow beacon option the best.

Geoff