I kind of like the Zebralight SC600... but...

wshyang

Newly Enlightened
This will be my first flashlight if I do decide to get it, so there are some things I don't understand about flashlights.

Some lights have "drop ins" as I understand it, which is like a bulb assembly with the driver and reflector all built in. However other lights (like the SC600) don't seem to support drop ins. Hence if the bulb on this flashlight dies or something goes :poof: in its circuitry for some reason, does it mean I need to get a new Zebralight?

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
This will be my first flashlight if I do decide to get it, so there are some things I don't understand about flashlights.

Some lights have "drop ins" as I understand it, which is like a bulb assembly with the driver and reflector all built in. However other lights (like the SC600) don't seem to support drop ins. Hence if the bulb on this flashlight dies or something goes :poof: in its circuitry for some reason, does it mean I need to get a new Zebralight?

Warranty first. Zebralight Warranty text runs for 12 months from purchase, but asking nicely might get things fixed later than that.

LEDs don't usually die. They are only ever murdered brutally. It's the other parts that could fail - driver. Switch. Optic. Thermal path.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
A drop-in makes it easy to fix broken bulbs/assemblies and allow you to choose they beam you like, but it also increases the size of the light and also decreases the methods of control (you are limited to one mechanical on off switch)

LEDs don't usually go :poof: unless they are overdriven, overheated, or mechanically broken. I've only had one circuit fail on me, and that light flew 3-4m into the air and landed ~10m away from me. The inductor on the light broke and the wires in it snapped (note: do not abuse your lights like that). Might have survived if the driver was potted.

If you are worried about durability, always carry at least two lights, because even the best designed light can fail.