Streamlight Protac HL question.

Rafael Jimenez

Enlightened
Hope you guys can help me with this.

I just got a SL protac HL 600 lumen. Comes with Li-Ion 123's (2). I want to use rechargeable batteries so I send Streamlight a note asking about this and if I should use Li-Ion or NiMh rechargeable batteries. SL responded very fast, they say that I should only use non rechargeable Li-Ion. I have read here at CPF that you can use NiMh rechargeables on any flashlight.

So, my question is. Do I return the flashlight or get my rechargeable batteries?

Thanks.

Rafael

my#1hobby

Enlightened
CR123's are the only cells this light will accept, so if you don't plan on buying a bunch of CR123's then I would return it. NiMh will not work in a light designed to run on Li-Ion cells because the voltage is too low and they wouldn't fit anyway.

Rafael Jimenez

Enlightened
CR123's are the only cells this light will accept, so if you don't plan on buying a bunch of CR123's then I would return it. NiMh will not work in a light designed to run on Li-Ion cells because the voltage is too low and they wouldn't fit anyway.

I thank you for the advice. I will return it, because I like the rechargeable batteries. Don't want to spend a lot on non rechargeable batteries.

Regards.

Rafael

RonJon

Newly Enlightened
Hi, if you could use 1 18650 battery instead of the the two cr123a then would'nt you have a rechargable source provided that they're compatable? Would the the voltage levels be comparable?

echan

Newly Enlightened
ugh sad to see this thread answer since I just got one of these to play with and had the same question. unfortunately the inner diameter is too small to accommodate an 18650.

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have this light and use LiFePO4 3V rechargeables. These are 16340 size. You need a 3V charger - not the usual 3.7V charger. See the Hound for more info.

fcremcx1

Newly Enlightened
I have a few 16650 and none work in my Streamlight. I wish they did.
Fred

michiganstud

Enlightened
You want the HL-X. It takes the 123a's and also rechargeable 18650's. I use an orbtronic 18650 on mine. Plus it's 1,000 lumens. Great light!!!