fenix e11 review

ozner1991

Enlightened
I recently purchased 2 fenix e11's as beater/loaner flashlights from ebay for roughly 27~ USD each and wanted to share my opinion on this light

SAM_0224.jpg

the light comes in a plastic clamshell with a cardboard outside

SAM_0225.jpg

small area on the back of the packaging containing some basic literature and spare parts

factory specifics:
LED:
Cree XP-E LED;
Battery:
One 1.5V AA (Ni-MH, Alkaline, Lithium) Battery
Waterproof Resistence:
IPX - 8 standard(2 meter depth)
Impact Resistant:
1 meter
Max Lifespan:
50,000 Hours
Max Output:
105 Lumens
Max Runtime:
8 Hours 23 Minutes
Switch Type:
Push-button tail cap
Material:
Water-resistant aircraft-grade aluminum;
Finish:
Premium Type III hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish
Output:
2 modes (twist tight for high, loosen for low)
--High Mode: 105 lumens - 1 hour 50 minute runtime
--Low Mode: 32 lumens - 8 hours 23 minutes runtime
Dimension:
97mm (Length)x19mm (Diameter)
Weight:
32 gram weight (excluding battery)

SAM_0222.jpg

Initial impression and size

At first i thought that the light would be bigger but its smaller than my 'old' l1d, being both shorter and slimmer than the l1d
the light has some basic for lack of a better word 'knurling' on the body which gets the job done nicely.
On the back of the light it has a momentary clicky which protrudes so unfortunately it cant tailstand.
imho it feels really small, not keychainable but small non the less for an AA clicky.

accessory content:

SAM_0229.jpg

As we have come to expect from fenix, each light comes with a lanyard, spare o-ring and a spare booth
because of how fenix had packaged the manual it was impossible to get a nice picture of it but its a simple sheet of paper.
it shows the light, how to insert the battery, which batteries it can and can not use (manual flat out says 1.5v and no 14500)
some basic maintenance and trouble shooting tips. On the back of the instructions are the same instructions but in presumably Cantonese.

the light also comes with a warrenty card for those who wish to register their light.

From the initial specs i had read online i thought that the light would basically be a L1D with the UI of the L1T but i was wrong.
UI is a basic click on and off with momentary with a low and high mode depending if you tighten or loosen the bezel of the light. completely remove the head and drop in a single AA battery to power the light.
the light feels smaller, compacter, allmost feels like fenix took the original nitecore EZ-AA and then added a clicky on the back

SAM_0235.jpg

light is just shy of being 2 cm wide

SAM_0236.jpg

strange camera angle but i checked it before and after this photo, the ruler was lined up and the light was just under being 10 cm long

SAM_0227.jpg

SAM_0226.jpg

as you can clearly see the light is slimmer than the L1D
also shown in the picture is the TIR lens that the E11 has
for all those wondering: yes there is a hole inside the lens for the beam shape but no its not opened on the outside of the light, it wont collect dust or anything.

SAM_0228.jpg

the fenix E11 certainly isnt the smallest of the AA line up available now a days but it still feels very small, easily carried in pouches, pockets, anywhere without being to bothersome

the tailcap of the light is removable but not easily done
SAM_0231.jpg

one of the two lanyard holes showing aswell as the seam on the back of the light

SAM_0233.jpg

the light has 4 indentations in the back to unscrew and access the clicky/rubber booth
not feeling like scratching up this light already, i did not try disassembling the back of the light. regular needle-nose pliers fit the spaces, no fancy tools needed

now lets move to the front of the light, showing the pill and threading

SAM_0234.jpg

SAM_0238.jpg

the threads on the light are small but square cut which should help with durability, didnt notice any grit or grinding in them which is nice.

SAM_0239.jpg

Polarity protection is installed on this budget light. i dont need it but not everyone is 100% alert when changing batteries so its a nice feature for an entry level edc light
(fyi the light seemed dirtier in this picture than it really was)

SAM_0241.jpg

Not a direct comparison to slim lights such as the EZ-AA or the Quark mini AA but the light has some body thickness and space for the threading. personally im not worried about this light snapping at the threads or the body being crushed like i was with some of the ultra small AA lights i owned

BEAMSHOTS TO COME

i would add beamshots but the new camera i own has all kinds of options but no set ISO so i cant get a nice comparison.

The beam of the light is floody, no real hotspot, a large light area with spill. the light is by no means a thrower anything beyond 20 meters lights up but nothing distinct enough like with 'normal' lights. If anything the light is for searching inside cars, bags, cabinets, dropped items within 5 meters or so imho
*EDIT*
cant get the camera to take nice consistent beamshots, even with locked iso so its going to stay as a description only unfortunately

conclusion

the fenix E11 is a nice budget minimalistic flood-ish light which is great for gifting to non flashaholics friends or relatives.
personally i wouldnt really change anything about the light, if fenix is listening i would suggest maybe make a series of this, having another E11 style light but with 2 AA or possibly a nice 2 level CR123 that doesnt break the bank

Last edited:

Swede74

Enlightened
Nice review, thank you. It is the first (written) review of the Fenix E11 I have seen, except for an unboxing video made by a woman (!) who really seemed to like it. I wonder, did your light have a very strong smell when you opened the packaging? Mine did, and I can still smell it a month after I got it. I think it is the rubber switch cover.

TweakMDS

Enlightened
Mine didn't have any sort of smell, but in cases like that it's always a good idea to carefully clean it with alcohol and relubricate it.

Concerning the beam, I didn't find it very floody. Compared to my D25A's (both xp-g and xm-l), it's almost throwy, but with a nice tint and smooth transition from hotspot to spill, probably due to the TIR element.
I'm planning to do a few color measurements and some beamshots as well, so I'll take the E11 into that ^^

Gunner12

Flashaholic
Thanks for the review! Seems like a great light for the general population and I might get one or two in the future.

ozner1991

Enlightened
@ swede when i opened it it smelled new but that didnt last long

@ tweak i compared it to my normal edc a fenix pd30 and it outthrows it by a lot, mainly because my pd30 has a smaller hotspot while the E11 had a larger hotspot

@ gunner yeah i have a few people who constantly want a light so i have this as a loaner, its small enough and simple enough for them to instantly have a usable light

Latest posts